Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2014, 07:17 AM   #1

A/C Drips

Hello all! I forgot to ask this last year but with the warm weather approaching I thought I would put it out there before calling Jayco. When its hot and we use the A/C for a long period of time water starts dripping out of the main vent in the kitchen. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 05-20-2014, 07:38 AM   #2

I suggest removing the inner trim and try to determine where the drip is coming from. It could be the condensate is finding its way from the outside which would mean a bad seal between the roof and AC unit. Still in warranty? There's a post dealing with replacement of the seal from a year or so ago. We're on our 2nd trailer and of the 3 AC's, none have dripped.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:54 AM   #3

It maybe because the bolts holding the A/C unit down have become loose.. tighten them.. see if this helps..
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2880
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:09 AM   #4

Yep check the snugness of those AC bolts then dump some water (if your able to) up on the roof to check for leaks inside. If that don't work you can check with the dealer for warranty work or ----> http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ghlight=gasket
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #5

Thanks everyone. So the answer is this is NOT normal! We will call the dealer to come out and take a look at the A/C at our camp site.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:01 PM   #6

I had a similar situation this last weekend. I discovered that #1) the condensate drain holes were plugged up which caused the water to fill up the tray and flow into the next area which then caused a flood through the return air vent. I took off the cowling and the metal shroud covering the coil to get to the weep holes. They were plugged up with dirt and leaves. Cleaned out and checked for proper drainage. #2was that I had over tightened the bolts securing the unit to the roof. This caused the weep holes to be snugged down too close tho the roof and would not let the water escape. Be careful cleaning out the weep holes. You don't want to put a hole in the roof. The whole process took me about 20 minutes. No issues now. I should have cleaned the coil while I was in there however.
Previous Starcraft pop up for many years and served us well
Ttrav122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #7

I had a similar problem last summer. Bolts are snug, and I check them each spring. Going to have to pull the outside cover off and check the drain holes. When we run the air conditioner all day long, when we turn it off soon after that water runs onto the floor out the vent. It is as if it ices up inside and then melts? The mounting gasket is good and no water is leaking from between the gasket and air conditioner. I have noticed that not a lot of water runs off the roof even after running it all day long.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #8

Also, clean/replace your filter. Mine was dripping last year. Tried cleaning the filter but it was probably original and beyond where anything meaningful would be done via cleaning. Replaced it and it seemed OK after that. Guessing that if the unit can't draw in enough air, it will ice up and start dripping.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcatone View Post
Thanks everyone. So the answer is this is NOT normal! We will call the dealer to come out and take a look at the A/C at our camp site.
WOW!! I'm more impressed with the fact you have a dealer that will make "house calls"???
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #10

So we were out camping over Memorial Day, running the air conditioner. The dripping problem was so bad we had to lay towels and a bowl on the floor. I vowed to fix this when we got back. I know that the problem is condensation running off the evaporator and then into the air return vents, then onto the floor. Today I went on the roof and took off the plastic shroud to search for the drain holes everyone talks about, none to be found. Took off the sheet metal shrouding that covers the evaporator and air return, took off the sheet metal sides also. It turns out the evaporator sits in a plastic tray and on each corner there is a recessed hole with a drain hole in the bottom. Condensation drains into the plastic tray, runs in the recessed hole, and through the drain holes onto the roof. The fault here is the recessed holes actually sit on my roof, blocking the drain part. Some people said that your mounting gasket is compressed to far if this happens, but mine is not, just poor design of roof or air conditioner. If the roof was not completely flat, this wouldn't be an issue. I cleaned out the area with compressed air (there was water sitting in the recessed area). I decided to drill an additional drain hole at an angle so it would come outside the side of the recessed hole instead of the bottom. So the drill bit would not drill through the roof material, I slid a piece of sheet metal between the roof material and the plastic tray, drilled a hole on each side, blew the chips away and put it all back together. No more water dripping in the camper! It all goes on the roof now. Sorry, no pics.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:26 PM   #11

Also, keep in mind any dust that is on the evaporator coil fins will eventually wash down to the bottom of the coil where it sits in the drain pan. Over time the dust will build up enough at the bottom and the condensate will not make it to the pan but instead, will drain out onto the floor. Air filters don't catch everything. I see this situation in the field a lot.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:42 PM   #12

That's a great idea and added insurance if one gets plugged up! Down here in Texas, we run the A/C 10 months out of 12. Time to add another mod to the list! Thanks!
Previous Starcraft pop up for many years and served us well
Ttrav122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #13

Finally fixed it! After having scheduling and customer service issues with Camping World Kingston NY (The service sucks there!! It was super when it was Camper Barn, But now that camping world took over they are useless, nasty and dumb as rocks!!) Turned out to just be a clog in the drain. We went up to the roof, took off the cover, removed all the gunk and debris from under the cover. Then we found the tiny pin hold where the water drains out of and stuck a long skinny metal skewer in there to clean the line out. Put the cover on and now it’s as good as new!! I don't know why I didn't try the first time. Sometimes you think things are much harder than they really are! next time I’ll try a little more troubleshooting on my own before dealing with service!
Old 08-07-2014, 03:27 PM   #14

Awesome! Great to hear back from you. I'm glad it was resolved.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:06 PM   #15

2006 Jayco Jay Flight, A/C drips onto roof

I'm having a similar problem, but it's going onto the roof and eventually going over to the gutter. There must be some small roof leak somewhere near the gutter because my wall is getting wet by the bedroom. The gutter sends the water right over one of the front hatches, so part of my storage area is getting wet when the water seeps in through the constantly wetted door.
SJPadilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:00 PM   #16

I have had no issues but think I will pull my roof ac cover before our next trip and make sure the drip holes are clear...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote