Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2016, 07:59 PM   #11

I agree whole heartedly that there always be some minor issues with most anything you buy nowadays, the quality is just not there. But at the same time considering what you pay for a new trailer I would expect to have less issues, just my opinion. As long as it is nothing serious I will try and fix the problem myself.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:33 PM   #12

This post begs the question. If the 2 year warranty is the reason to buy Jayco and you still lose days to service repairs (lack of QC) then, why not buy a comparable Starcraft, save $5000, and accept the down time for service repairs?

We bought our current Jayco because of the floor plan. It's Starcraft cousin was very tempting.

Our next RV will be a $80-100K Class A. We will certainly shop the competition and consider an extended warranty.

<><
Rivercityjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:59 PM   #13

There are those that say when you buy second-hand that you are purchasing someone else's problems. But there is also the possibility that all the problems have now been resolved.

I purchased my 2008 unit two years ago. It needed batteries, tires and propane. Thats it.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:09 PM   #14

My 500K brick and stick home had pages of warranty related fixes too and I don't drive it down the interstate at 65 MPH. I expect lots of minor issues. I could have spent 120K on a 30 foot AirStream... or 5 Jayco's. At this price point, we get exactly what we paid for. I'm still very happy with mine and I've had to do dozens of small tweaks and fixes in the first couple months. Jayco cannot afford the QA/QC that we would love to see - but would price them out of their target market. Their are other brands if you have deep enough pockets, and the airstreams aren't flawless either. That's just my 2 cents when I hear complaints about problems that literally take less than a minute to fix yourself.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:14 AM   #15

Wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
There are those that say when you buy second-hand that you are purchasing someone else's problems. But there is also the possibility that all the problems have now been resolved.

I purchased my 2008 unit two years ago. It needed batteries, tires and propane. Thats it.
There is frugal wisdom in this approach.
As a matter of fact, a large RV dealer's service manager told me the best RV to buy was a 1-2 year old because the original owners had addressed the problems and taken the initial depreciation hit.
<><
Rivercityjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:40 AM   #16

I've had 2 water issues so far....

The compression nut on the kitchen sink trap wasn't tightened (Some grey water on the floor under the sink). Tightened properly by hand.

A small freshwater leak somewhere (random 2 second pump run after no water use for more than an hour or two) finally revealed itself. The valve for the toilet was assembled poorly. Technically that is a Thetford warrantee issue, not Jayco. But for a $40 part, who's going to file a claim and wait 2 weeks for the dealer to fix it?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:31 PM   #17

We had a couple warranty issues the first few years. All but for one I could easily fixed. I had a few things after the first trip or two, which were fixed ASAP. A couple water leaks that showed up the second year. By that point we probably had 4K-5K miles on the TT. They vibrate something fierce inside while going down the road. I fixed a few loose compression fittings myself. But I live 15 miles or so from the dealer, at that time my HTT sat on the city street when not in use. So I would arrange for them to fix my list of stuff under warranty and let it be stored on their lot. The dealer was great to work with. Most of the time I had it back in less than a week.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
We never travel ANYWHERE without taking my tool box along.
It's a box that is 8" X 14" X 8". Holds enough variety of tools to make most minor repairs.
+1

Except that we have a complete and dedicated tool kit that lives in the trailer. It has basic hand tools and an assortment of extra screws and various other fasteners. I also lug along my amended mechanic's tool set for the "bigger" jobs, and usually a set of drills/bits. If I can't fix it with all that, I use my credit card! LOL!!

I agree that some trailers should have come from the factory in better shape, but then if they were "perfect", they would be prohibitively expensive. Even the prohibitively expensive rigs have problems similar to our lowly Jaycos.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote