Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #1

A good tow spring helper

I'm thinking about adding a tow spring helper of some sort to my 3/4 ton pickup. After several tries of trying to adjust the sagg out of the rear with the equalizer bars I think this is my next option.
I tow a Eagle 330rlts with a tongue weight of 1350 pounds, and thats not counting what we load in the storage compartment, bed a truck. My truck will drop about 2 to 2 1/2 inches in the rear.
Any suggestions of a good tow spring helper that someone has tried?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yddad45 View Post
I'm thinking about adding a tow spring helper of some sort to my 3/4 ton pickup. After several tries of trying to adjust the sagg out of the rear with the equalizer bars I think this is my next option.
I tow a Eagle 330rlts with a tongue weight of 1350 pounds, and thats not counting what we load in the storage compartment, bed a truck. My truck will drop about 2 to 2 1/2 inches in the rear.
Any suggestions of a good tow spring helper that someone has tried?
I put Firestone air bags on my F250 short bed diesel truck. They fit inside the leaf springs and are all bolt on-no drilling, etc. Can adjust the psi in bags for towing and when not towing. Easy to install and really cut down on the rear droop of the truck. Just Google firestone air bags and you can find what ones will fit your truck.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:03 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Yddad,

I haven't any hands-on experience with rear spring helpers, but these thread links may be helpful:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=3769

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/24753178.cfm

It may be a case that your Husky CL 1,400lb spring bar rating may be a little lite (?). Is the WDH replacing all the weight that was removed from your TV's front axle? If it is then the WDH is doing it's job. If not, then the WDH isn't removing/distributing enough weight off your rear axle (ie; additional sag). Just a thought.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:42 AM   #4

Try a search on a off road acessories site. An add a leaf may be the ticket. I have done 4x4 lift kits in the past, with excellent results! Usually the rear is nothing more that an extra leaf added to the spring pack.
It WILL stiffen the rear ride!
An air bag is adjustable, when not towing.
Bags, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FIP-2071/

Add A Leaf for a 4x4 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SJA-F825K/

2011 Jayco Jayflight 22FB
2004 Ford F-150 5.4 Triton, K&N FIPK, Magna-flow muffler
Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:34 AM   #5

I put Timbrens on my truck. I wish I would of put air bags instead.
Reese straight line dual cam
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
:Flag:
bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounder View Post
I put Timbrens on my truck. I wish I would of put air bags instead.
What is stopping you? Pull the Timbrens off and sell them to help fund your air bags!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:36 AM   #7

I have the same trailer and tow with a Dodge 3500 SRW. Firestone air bags go on this week. With the closet, dresser, and front storage compartment all full I am thinking the hitch weight is right around 1500#. Our Yamaha Rhino will go in the bed of the truck this year. My truck will be right at the max weight this year.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #8

I had the same issue with my 3/4 ton. Until I put the airlift 5000's on what a differance it made. Without I dropped 2-3 inches and would feel every bump in the road. With them I'm level no drop at all and the ride in unbeliveable. Takes 1 hour to install very easy. Watch the video from airlift
http://www.airliftcompany.com/video

The following is the review from people that bought from Amazon not one bad review, but someone stated it took them 5 hours to install well it took me 1 solid hour to install

http://www.amazon.com/LIFT-57215-Loa...owViewpoints=1
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasA&M View Post
What is stopping you? Pull the Timbrens off and sell them to help fund your air bags!
I will live with the timberens. I can use the $$$ I would spend for air bags and go enjoy our retirement & rv.
Reese straight line dual cam
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
:Flag:
bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutrell01 View Post
I put Firestone air bags on my F250 short bed diesel truck. They fit inside the leaf springs and are all bolt on-no drilling, etc. Can adjust the psi in bags for towing and when not towing. Easy to install and really cut down on the rear droop of the truck. Just Google firestone air bags and you can find what ones will fit your truck.
i just did the same thing,..after much study,..pulled camper this weekend,and love them..but mine needed drilling holes...i also added ..'edge--evolution' programmer and it pulls much better...really love both items.... here is a truck forum of which i have been on for prob 10 yrs,..great ford truck info--> thedieselstop.com
jwb023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodro123 View Post
I had the same issue with my 3/4 ton. Until I put the airlift 5000's on what a differance it made. Without I dropped 2-3 inches and would feel every bump in the road. With them I'm level no drop at all and the ride in unbeliveable. Takes 1 hour to install very easy. Watch the video from airlift
http://www.airliftcompany.com/video

The following is the review from people that bought from Amazon not one bad review, but someone stated it took them 5 hours to install well it took me 1 solid hour to install

http://www.amazon.com/LIFT-57215-Loa...owViewpoints=1
Thanks for all the great info, Two more questions for everyone before I decide,
1--Firestone airbag vs Airlift airbag, any opinion on which is better?
The airlift is a little cheaper, by $25.00
2--Would you recommend installing the air pump also or just keep it simple and air up as needed?
Old 08-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by yddad45 View Post
Thanks for all the great info, Two more questions for everyone before I decide,
1--Firestone airbag vs Airlift airbag, any opinion on which is better?
The airlift is a little cheaper, by $25.00
2--Would you recommend installing the air pump also or just keep it simple and air up as needed?
I did not think I needed to spend the money to install the air pump. I put the air valves someplace easy to access and simply use an air pump. Have to add air before RV is hooked up. Simply let air out when not hooked up. My Firestones recommended keeping 5psi in bags when not hooked up to RV. I found that 15-18psi works for the RV I pull.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #13

I put the wireless air compressor on my AirLift system and do not regret it. On my old truck, I went for about a year without an on board air and it wasn't bad, but it sure is convenient to have the on board compressor. Now I just air up after I've hooked up the trailer, and can air up or down at any time without having to worry about finding more air.

I have not heard anything bad about either firestone of airlift. I've had two airlift systems on two different trucks and have loved them both.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:32 AM   #14

I dont know anything about the other bags,..but the firestone are highly recommended...the air pump is very small i hear,...pricy too,....i have a portable one i carry,and i put clips on the wires,to attach to a batt if i need it...like,to attach to camper batt,to air bags up a little..my shrader valves are on both sd of my lic plate.I also have an air comp at my hse and of course they are at alot of gas stations on the rd.
jwb023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:44 AM   #15

Before you go the airbag route take a look at the RAS, Roadmaster Active Suspension. The RAS is a leaf spring helper that will improve your ride while under load as well as while unloaded. Basically you install it and do not have to do anything else, no airing it up. It is cheaper than airbags also.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #16

I got airbags on the excursion and I am very glad I did. I have just hooked the trailer up and moved it in town without the w/d bars and put 20 psi in the bags. For the money I think that it is worth it. Got a better feel towing also. Put the air valve on the bracket where the 7 pin plug goes. Ernie
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #17

I ordered some airlift tow airbags today off Amazon and I also decided to go with the air compressor acc. After talking to a tech at Airlift to find out which airbags I needed , he convinced me, he being a consumer along with being a tech, that it would be a acc. that would be nice to have. They also have a $75 mail in rebate until the end of Sept. if you buy a Airlift airbag and compressor combo, so I figured now would be a good time to buy both.
Thanks for everyone's input, it was very helpful in making my decision.