Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #1

A little disappointed in Jayco

I'm just venting here so please don't slam me too harshly.
I had a 26 foot Jayco for about 10 years. I never had a single problem with it so I purchases a 2014 Jayco Swift last Fall. Since then my grey water holding tank leaks, my pump won't stop cycling (no leaks), my gas LP gauge always shows green even with both tanks empty and I have never been able to get one TV channel even though I'm not in a remote area.
I know all these things can be fixed but now I have to tow my camper 150 miles to the dealer for repairs.
Pretty disappointed in Jayco now.
tawoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #2

I'll say the same thing I've said before. With the exception of the TV channels and that is still questionable those are all things you dealer should have checked before giving you the unit. Poor dealer prep/PDI in my opinion.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #3

None of the items you mentioned were made by Jayco. Other than maybe the LP gauge they should have been identified during inspection.
highlife4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to JOF

Contact Jayco directly and see if they have an approved RV repair facility closer to your home base that can address warranty claim items. Jayco does have these type of facilities throughout the US.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #5

Hi Bob,
Thank you for some great advice. I did call Jayco and they gave me a phone number of another authorized Jayco dealer only 75 miles away.
The trouble is I just called and they refused to take my unit in for repair. Yup, I was told "we are too backed up with our own unites to service yours"
Now, I'm even more disappointed in Jayco.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #6

I agree Grumpy
Old 09-04-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawoo View Post
Hi Bob,
Thank you for some great advice. I did call Jayco and they gave me a phone number of another authorized Jayco dealer only 75 miles away.
The trouble is I just called and they refused to take my unit in for repair. Yup, I was told "we are too backed up with our own unites to service yours"
Unfortunately Jayco cannot make the non selling dealer do the repairs. I know it stinks, but that seems to be the standard in the RV industry. Many dealers will not do warranty service on units they do not sell, or will make you wait a long time.
Crabman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #8

BLEVINS MOTORS INC. in Potsdam NY is a Jayco dealer.
They are the people I called.
Thanks!
Old 09-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Hi Bob,
Why is it JAYCO's fault? That is normal in the RV Industry since dealers are not "Product Exclsuive" like automobiles. You chose to buy 150 miles from home, that was your decision. You will find warning after warning about just those issues of not getting service from a non selling dealer.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #10

I agree!! Lets say lesson learned on my part but that is not why I'm disappointed in Jayco. The distance (my fault) only exasperated the issue.
No, what I am saying is a brand new $23,000 anything should not have four problems with it in less then a year. That's all.
Thank you for replying.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip....Now, I'm even more disappointed in Jayco.
I would call Jayco back and advise them of what you were told. It may or may not help, but at least Jayco will know how this authorized dealer responds to situations like this.

But, in all fairness almost all RV dealers are busy during the camping season so some delay in scheduling may arise..., even at your dealer 150 miles away.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 09-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #12

Ooops, sorry, I re-read your answer and now understand.
Ya, your right...that stinks.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #13

There is really no such thing as a better deal across town or the state in RV's. You should buy very local and form a relationship with the dealer and don't shop the price, Unless; you can fix these things and are willing to do so. I never go back unless there is a part involved that costs more than I am willing to "eat". I fix everything myself.

I think you have some minor problems. If you are not handy consider hiring a tech to fix these at your home. 300 miles = a tank of fuel. IMHO you can't save the costs from where you are, it's either in fuel or cash to a local tech. Or do like I do and fix it.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #14

OP, I understand completely, as do most people here. The problem is that ALL rv's have these issues and all dealerships seem to act the same way. Most people here believe that Jayco builds better quality and stands behind their products better.

Unfortunately the things that you are having problems with are from outside vendors, not made by Jayco. Not really Jaycos fault, but then again they are the ones who spec'd out the water pump and other items. It comes down to money... they buy from the cheapest supplier that meets their minimum specifications.

Then you run into the issue with the dealers. Most people assume that RV dealers will act like car dealers. If you have a problem with your Ford, you can take it to ANY Ford dealer and have it fixed under warranty. RV dealers are not the same way. They have the absolute right not to honor any warranty. From what I understand though, Jayco is usually good about finding a local shop, possibly not a dealer, to fix your trailer.

I hope everything works out for you. Stay in contact with Jayco and get it fixed. If you can't find a place that can fix it during the summer (high season), see if Jayco is willing to extend your warranty until such time that suitable repair work can be completed.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

I have taken a slight Hiatus from this site because of some issues I have with it but I couldn't help but comment. It is a year old. There isn't a propane gauge in the world that works, they are no different than black tank level gauges. you said the TV never worked...No way of knowing if your scanning correctly. Do you have a meter or are you just guessing where to point?
Now the gray tank leak...it is plastic and by the sounds of it didn't start leaking until recently. It has to be cracked or the valve has crud in it...you haven't clarified where it is leaking. But there really isn't anything on a waste tank to fail.

Your pump must be sucking air from somewhere. It doesn't take much to find where. Did you winterize the trailer? Did it freeze?
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #16

There is a local RV dealer but does not sell Jayco. We had such good luck with our old unit we did not want to risk buying something else.
Now, I'm re-thinking that decision.
I honestly believe Jayco is the best. I'm just sorry my dealer is so far away.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #17

One thing I don't agree with is "not one propane gauge in the world works" My old one did...for 10 years.
Yes, the TV goes through it's scan and only identifies RF channels but no TV channels and the amplifier is on.
The pump may have collected some crud so I can't totally blame it.

I'm sure the Jayco dealer will fix all my issues next month when I take it in. I guess my first camper spoiled me. Again, I’m just venting here. Ok, maybe complaining. I don’t mean to because Jayco is the best RV out there.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
One thing I don't agree with is "not one propane gauge in the world works" My old one did...for 10 years......snip
X2

Mine have worked fine on my last three TT's.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 09-04-2014, 03:02 PM   #19
Lost in the Woods

who winterized your trailer?
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:50 PM   #20

This is one of the reasons that I don`t think I would ever go with an extended warranty again. I have a 7 year now because that was negotiated into the purchase for no extra charge, but really, if something breaks and you need a repair, chances are you`re in for a nightmare. I`d take it again for free, but I don`t think I would ever pay extra for it.

If the dealership will even get you in within a reasonable amount of time, the quality of work done at these shops in my experience is crap. It`s a fight to get an appointment (especially if you didn`t buy it there) and often times the work is unacceptable. They are more than happy to take your money up front, but not nearly as willing to help you out afterwards.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote