Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #1

A little QC please, Jayco

I finished installing a hardwired EMS on my 2013 26BH and was a slightly annoyed by some of the wiring and labeling in the fuse panel. I found two wires on the 12V bus bar that were hanging on by a few strands of wire and found the fuses are labeled incorrectly. On my TT, fuse 7 is installed and 8 is empty but the label says 7 is "reserved lighting" while 8 is dinette and bunk lighting....no big deal, I just have to remember that or make a note on the label.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #2

I found numerous quaility control issues with our new 2013 33 RLDS. I deal with them myself as I am pretty handy and its not worth the time or fuel to bring it back to the dealer like most will say to do. I have to remember its a 35K coach and not a 400K coach so quality will be sub par and I accept it. We try to enjoy our time in it and I deal with the issues as I have time.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
I found numerous quaility control issues with our new 2013 33 RLDS. I deal with them myself as I am pretty handy and its not worth the time or fuel to bring it back to the dealer like most will say to do. I have to remember its a 35K coach and not a 400K coach so quality will be sub par and I accept it. We try to enjoy our time in it and I deal with the issues as I have time.
that is my feelings also. its disappointing on the quality on some of the workmanship but for the price of the unit it is within acceptable limits for me. my dealer is only 4 miles away but still don't like to take it down to get the little stuff fixed either. the camping season is short here so have to take advantage of every weekend possible. overall for the price I really like our jaycos!
Old 07-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
The way people poop on Forest River I expected more when I went from my Forest River product to this Eagle. My Forest River had a one year warranty but I only used it twice, a broken halogen recessed light that fell on a rough patch of I90 and a hairline crack in the front cap. On this Jayco in 8 weeks I've had:

- Screw left behind tore 8" gash in floor first time slide extended after delivery.
- Wiring had to be "helped" because of issues like previous poster.
- Kitchen slide out of adjustment
- Numerous scuffs in front gel coat cap.
- Missing caulking front cap and rear roofline.
- Missing trim (not even installed...)
- Dexter electronic door locked us in coach, had to remove to get out.
- Bathroom door is delaminating.
- Bunk door striker plate 1/2" too low, won't latch.
- Fridge in slide had upper vent partially blocked, installed vent over luan left over from wall forming process.
- Dozen or so cosmetic issues in trim.

Keep in mind, I'm not a first time RV Owner I've been RV'ing in some type of camper since I was 14. I've owned Sunnybrook, Crossroads, and Jayco. I'd venture to say this unit has the most defects I've ever seen. Luckily I'm handy and most were fixed by me with parts provided by dealer.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #5

Agreed on the quality control! I've not looked into the wiring on our coach, but apparently that's something I need to do asap. Last thing I want is a fire when we're not there.

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
BlueHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #6

Our Eagle's most annoying problem has been the use of screws, necessarily small and short, being used where I believe small locknuts & bolts and/or glues during construction would have done a far better job of holding the pedestal table and shade valances. This would make them hard to remove, but who wants to, and how often? As it is, the remove themselves. Such an easy thing for Jayco to correct.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:04 AM   #7

Same here, although I prefer this jayco to the Forest River (Shasta), I must say that the Shasta only had 2 issues to be addressed by warranty. The Jayco on the other hand....
Glad we live near the dealer and that they are great to work with but most of these issues should not have been if Jayco had better Quality assurance.
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78 View Post
The way people poop on Forest River I expected more when I went from my Forest River product to this Eagle. My Forest River had a one year warranty but I only used it twice, a broken halogen recessed light that fell on a rough patch of I90 and a hairline crack in the front cap. On this Jayco in 8 weeks I've had:

- Screw left behind tore 8" gash in floor first time slide extended after delivery.
- Wiring had to be "helped" because of issues like previous poster.
- Kitchen slide out of adjustment
- Numerous scuffs in front gel coat cap.
- Missing caulking front cap and rear roofline.
- Missing trim (not even installed...)
- Dexter electronic door locked us in coach, had to remove to get out.
- Bathroom door is delaminating.
- Bunk door striker plate 1/2" too low, won't latch.
- Fridge in slide had upper vent partially blocked, installed vent over luan left over from wall forming process.
- Dozen or so cosmetic issues in trim.

Keep in mind, I'm not a first time RV Owner I've been RV'ing in some type of camper since I was 14. I've owned Sunnybrook, Crossroads, and Jayco. I'd venture to say this unit has the most defects I've ever seen. Luckily I'm handy and most were fixed by me with parts provided by dealer.
I agree with this comment. I had an Ameri-Lite TT before my Jayco. Had less problems with the cheaper/shorter warranty Gulf Stream than the Jayco. I had the Jayco in for warranty work up to the last day of warranty.
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #9
Site Team

When I see these posts about numerous quality issues I think when buying an RV it must be luck of the draw. Which crew built it, what kind of mood they were in, how well they were supervised, how well the unit was inspected by the manufacturer and then the dealer. I say that because after nearly 4 years mine has been virtually problem free, and never been back to a dealer for warranty or after warranty work. The only thing I have fixed is a defective leaky toilet valve and a loose ptrap with a bad compression gasket under the kitchen sink. It must have been built on a good day by a good crew
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #10

I agree with you 100% Crabman! Sometimes I think I got a "Monday morning" or "Friday afternoon" trailer!

It's not that the design is bad - most of the problems I've seen in mine are the direct result of rushing. It just looks like whoever built it didn't take their time. No major flaws, no huge problems - all of it's pretty easily fixed. It's just little things like needing to re-set weatherstripping or re-do bathroom door trim that was never installed properly. After you shell out so much money to buy it (even though I have an "inexpensive" travel trailer compared to some of the huge rigs I've seen in campgrounds) ya feel like you just shouldn't have to do that kind of stuff, you know?

That being said, I'm going to kick out the awning, pour some sweet tea and not sweat the small stuff! Happy Camping!

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
BlueHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHaul View Post
After you shell out so much money to buy it (even though I have an "inexpensive" travel trailer compared to some of the huge rigs I've seen in campgrounds) ya feel like you just shouldn't have to do that kind of stuff, you know?
You should not have to do that stuff to a new unit, regardless of price point. 15 grand is not a lot in the RV world but it is to Crabman!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #12

Well our new Jayco is only our second camper after tenting it for years. Our first was a Forest river Hybrid 2010 and it had many small minor problems I dealt with myself. We ended up hating the hybrid not because of the problems but other reasons. Our new Jayco is no different as far as small poblems so we just figured it was the normal. And it is alot of money to us but to get upset over it is useless. latest problem, the TV remote volume down stopped working. While not a Jayco issue, they did pick the TV brand to put in their campers. Contin-us ?? Or whatever its called..Lol
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #13

We've had two Jaycos, both were purchased new. The first (2011 28BHS) had more issues than the second (2012 32TSBH) by far, but the issues did end up getting resolved with the dealers and Jayco. I've talked with a Jayco rep before about their QC issues and she basically told me that the dealer is responsible for making sure the trailer is issue free. They apparently have the option to do this before or after the sale. I believe most dealers opt for after because they are trying to get away with as much as they can. They figure some they'll do a ton of work on and some they won't do any and some in between. It all averages out. Where Jayco does get defensive is if a dealer refuses to take care of verified warranty issues. They will do end runs around dealers so fast it'll make their heads spin if they refuse to take care of issues that Jayco feels should be taken care of. I've seen it first hand, happened with my second trailer. I agree with Crabman and it is a luck of the draw what type and number of issues you'll have with a new trailer. You will almost always have issues of some sort. Jayco has a long ways to go to achieve consistently good quality. Their current processes simply don't allow for it. Just know that whatever you end up with, you have a manufacturer behind it that will try to make things right. That's what the two dealers I bought my trailers from told me, and they were right.

John
Equalizer 12K
Forgvn77 is offline   Reply With Quote