Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #1

A Newby With Questions

I purchased a 1995 Jayco Eagle 304 BH Series Travel Trailer in May, 2013 (i.e., spring of this year). Really like the trailer. I did quite a bit of research regarding suspension, tires, hitches, and adequacy of towing vehicle. I have updated all of that, and believe I am definitely far above and beyond what is required and so very safe. My family and I have taken a number of trips throughout this summer. I have viewed these trips as learning exercises for our actual goal, which is a six week or seven week tour of the western US next year.

The roof has been replaced; this was the third summer since replacement. The trailer has been stored under roof in the winter. Everything seems to work great (with the exception of the three problems I identify below). I am planning to take the trailer to the local RV dealer next week for a thorough check. I would like to make sure that everything is working properly and ready to go next summer. I also am aware of three problems.

(1) Do you think it reasonable to pay to have a thorough inspection and check? My reasoning is that it is worthwhile, primarily because I am new to RV and do not know enough.

(2) I found a small leak at the front of the trailer – some water dripped in right at the middle of the front window. There is a small tear in the aluminum skin right at the top of the trailer which has been filled with some type of sealant or caulk. I expect this is where the water got in. Is there a best way to fix this and what is a rough estimate of cost?

(3) I could not get the pilot on the hot water tank to light. I was think that maybe I would simply replace the entire tank, as it looks like the replacement can be done for a little below $300 (six gallon tank) and I figured that it is probably due given its age.

(4) I found some water on the floor of the bathroom on our last trip – there is a leak from the toilet. I was thinking that maybe I would replace the entire toilet: looks to run under $150, current toilet is low profile and would like high profile, probably due given its age.

Finally, I am open to all suggestions regarding what I should be doing to get ready for the trip next summer.

Thanks from a Newby with a lot of questions!
RUSSELL5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!

1. Since you are planning a long trip and considering the age of the unit a thorough inspection by a reputable source is not a bad idea IMO.

2. During this inspection you could ask about the area in question and what is involved in repair. It may be as simple as applying some new sealant or it could be much more...

3. The pilot not lighting could be a simple thing like spider webs or debris in the unit and it may not need replacing.

4. The toilet leak could be the valve module or fresh water supply fitting, you may not need a new toilet either just a part or two.

Just a few ideas, I`m sure others who know more will chime in.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote