Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2015, 08:34 PM   #1

A pair of rookies

Nearly a month ago, DW and I drove to Middlebury, IN to pick up our Elite 23 RB Jayco TT. Since then, the TT has sat in our new, expanded driveway near Pensacola, FL, awaiting use. We wanted to completely outfit the TT so that (with the exception of food) we could be on our merry way without a lot of delay and hunting for essentials. An overzealous checklist would be used to prepare for all future trips.

So finally, with fingers crossed, we embarked on our first camping trip last Thursday morning bound for a campsite in Conecuh National Forest--south central Alabama. Pulling the trailer on I-10 and state roads would not be intimidating. Having driven through Indianapolis, Louisville, Nashville, Birmingham, and Montgomery, I was fairly certain that I was becoming pretty familiar with the idea of towing the trailer. What was worrying was the question about whether or not I had practiced enough to back a TT into a selected campsite and, would everything work once we were camped. Piece of cake. Backed into the campsite like I knew what I was doing with DW acting a coach. Well, okay, it took two tries but I did get it in straight and connected up to power and water.

All gas and electrical facilities worked flawlessly, just like Jayco intended. I did become frustrated with television setup because I could never get past scan for stations. Finally, I recalled that the tech mentioned a TV booster circuit that had to be turned on first. Couldn't find it until DW, in a less agitated frame of mind, dug out the Jayco manual and we learned where that power switch is located. There is a standing order that whomever turns off that booster hereafter is signing their own death warrant.

I now fully understand the allure of "camping" although it is more akin to little house on the pond. Who's complaining? What fun--five days and four nights of peace and tranquility and rest.

Next, Bankhead National Forest northwest of Birmingham probably sometime after the July 4th road madness and campground crush is over. Can't go sooner because we are awaiting TT parts that should arrive by the end of the month. Oh, I forgot to mention that the TT suffered a significant owwee on it's maiden trip south. Yup, you almost saw a grown man cry. Seems like a post protecting a gas pump was determined to crush the driver side of the trailer beginning at about the furnace vent and going toward the rear bumper. Too tired and not alert at 2:00 am somewhere in the wilds of Kentucky and looking urgently for an open gas station. To add insult to injury the gas station was closed and lights were on apparently for security reasons only. I know well now why you dear friends are always mentioning to start looking for a suitable gas station when the TV shows half a tank of gas. Things are patched, insurance claim fully approved, and my local trailer repair company has all of the parts on order.

So wave when our paths cross. I know you too are also enjoying the adventure.

Thanks for allowing me share...

Bob
Gharwali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:06 PM   #2

Good for you. That first trip is nerve racking. Get used to it and then try a boondock, if not just in the driveway.

2006 Chev Silverado Z-71 5.3L H.O. w/ Trailer Pkg

Tekonsha Primus IQ Controller
Roadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:09 PM   #3

Welcome to the RV world Bob!

Great story but a heck of a way to start! Hopefully, the worst is behind you!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharwali View Post
snip... What was worrying was the question about whether or not I had practiced enough to back a TT into a selected campsite and, would everything work once we were camped. Piece of cake. Backed into the campsite like I knew what I was doing with DW acting a coach. Well, okay, it took two tries but I did get it in straight and connected up to power and water.

...snip...

I now fully understand the allure of "camping" although it is more akin to little house on the pond. Who's complaining? What fun--five days and four nights of peace and tranquility and rest.

...snip... the TT suffered a significant owwee on it's maiden trip south. Yup, you almost saw a grown man cry. Seems like a post protecting a gas pump was determined to crush the driver side of the trailer beginning at about the furnace vent and going toward the rear bumper. Too tired and not alert at 2:00 am somewhere ...snip...
Excellent!! Backed into your campsite, everything worked, camped in peace and tranquility, the dreaded 'owwee' we all know is coming will soon be just a memory, and you now have the wisdom of knowing that tired, 2:00AM, fuel stops are to be avoided.

Thanks for sharing.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:32 PM   #5

Bob,

Writing to let you know that you're are not alone! We purchased our new Jayco at the end of March. Drove it approx. 45 minutes home that day and it didn't move again until we left town on our first trip with the new TT. Less than 2 hours later we were stranded in an Arby's parking lot with a bent axle (those damn landscaping boulders). Replaced the axle the very next day and by nightfall we were under the stars in Wolf Run State Park.

Reading your story made me feel a bit better about my own so I thought I'd share. LOL. Good luck down the road!

-John
jdrumsr is offline   Reply With Quote