Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2017, 10:26 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
It actually can pull that much without going over payload

13% of 12500 pounds is 1625 pounds

If you have a payload of 2000 pounds available, you are still left with 375 pounds for the driver and a small amount of gear and the hitch. Puts you right on the edge of the envelope (too close for my comfort), especially at altitude, but the 12500 pound tow rating is valid as long as that isn't the only number people look at.
And if you don't have any passengers in the vehicle.

You should load up the family fill up the gas tank and head to a scale and weigh your truck. That will tell you how much payload you have left for trailer tongue weight.

A rough estimate of tongue weight is to use the dry brochure weight and add 1000lbs then multiply by 0.13 or 13%. A more conservative method is to use the trailer GVWR and multiply by 15%. That is the most the tongue will ever weigh.

As far as modifications go for your pickup......

Airbags and load range E tires will likely help to stabilize things a bit.

Cheers
Old 04-26-2017, 10:32 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
And if you don't have any passengers in the vehicle.
Yep, of course. It would probably help also if the driver was anorexic. Just showing where they derive the somewhat bogus 'tow rating' from.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:40 AM   #23

The newer 6 speed 1500 Silverados are better at towing than their 4 speed predecessors. I hated the anemic 5.3/4 speed/3.42 gear combo in the 2007 Silverado I previously used to tow our 26BH (5,000 lbs dry). My neighbor tows a large bumper pull (probably 7,000 lbs) with a 2016 1500 Silverado and has no complaints. If the payload numbers add up, you might be fine with the 1500.

As for options, don't overpay for some of the packages. I'd suggest a 15k A/C over the 13 (if not already equipped). You will find Jayco charges a premium for crappy electronics like TVs and stereos so you can save some money there and buy bettr quality if you install it yourself.

You will also find Jayco mixes options so those options listed in the Elite package may already be on a base model. For example, my base model came with a black tank flush, sink covers, and porcelain toilet. The Elite package on the 27BHS does include a larger water tank but if your camping habits put you in CGs with water/electric sites, you will never use the FW tank.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #24

We put a down payment on a 27bhs this weekend. I recently bought a tundra crewmax 5.7 and payload is now my concern as well. I can't believe Jayco has an Eagle HT line if you look at the dry specs. When I bought the Tundra I thought for sure we were going to get the 24mbh white hawk. But the dealer had a 27bhs with fiberglass walls and a dinette and the rest was history for my wife. That's what she wanted! Looking at the dry hitch weights the 27bhs is actually lower than most but I am not sure I fully trust it. With the 13% rule factored into the 27bhs being a 1000 lbs more than the 24mbh it's only about 130lbs tongue weight. The more I looked into numbers I quickly realized that most campers push a HT. I have already been offered more on trade for my truck than I paid so that isn't a concern but I drive the truck about 200 times a year and will average 6 towing trips. I don't really want a 2500 as my main driver. For now I will use a WD hitch and do a test on the motor and transmission. The trailer I picked is 6800 with propane so I may fill it full of water at the dealer. I would be right at my tongue weight and under on payload. If all is well I plan on E rated tires and air bags. I wish the trailer was aluminum to save some weight but this is what they had that met our needs and I got 30% off so I am relatively happy. My thought for now is tow with just enough water for pit stops and load our cargo more over the axle. We shall see. But after looking at lot of options and not wanting to go longer I think the trailer stays and the truck goes if I have to.
foxrider68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrider68 View Post
My thought for now is tow with just enough water for pit stops and load our cargo more over the axle. We shall see. But after looking at lot of options and not wanting to go longer I think the trailer stays and the truck goes if I have to.
That's what we did our first year with the same camper. This is the year the truck goes / is nearly gone. The 1/2 ton towed it fine for what it's worth.. If every camping trip we take didn't take us over the top of the continental divide, I probably wouldn't have upgraded. Will really miss the 150... as I say on almost every post where I get the opportunity. I may trade in my commuter car for another one, but my luck that's when gas hits 4 bucks a gallon again.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:20 PM   #26

As you have a Silverado, you most likely have leaf springs in the rear. For a little more load carrying support I would get a set of Supersprings. You will most likely go over your rear axle rating by a bit, but you won't be sagging in the rear. They are also available for the Tundra. (Just some food for thought). Hopefully this helps.
Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:52 PM   #27

Regarding the Jayco brand. We definitely like the fit and finish that Jayco offers and also some of the extra things they do here and there. The 2 year manufacture warranty doesn't hurt either. Regardless of which model you decide to go with, you won't go wrong with the Jayco, and that is speaking from someone who doesn't even camp in a Jayco anymore.

It's better to pay closer attention to dealer reputation than manufacture reputation when it comes to getting anything done after the sale is over.
vboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalcamper87 View Post
So I called the dealer service department and he said I can tow 9400 lbs trailer. I think the 25bh might be a better suited. I dont like the idea of being limited with weight. And I don't want to be "that guy" lol
Just caught this post & was in similar situation with F 150.I bought the truck first & the camper later. I ended up with the Jayco 25BH & found it to be at my tow limits with a GCVW 12,100lbs (Ford brochure states 15,100 lbs towing rate) on my last 9,000 mile cross country trip. I have the tow packege but ford installed 3:31's out back so not the greatest. I would have been happier with 3:73's. I bought some timbren bumpers for a little help with the rear end with the hope that it can take care of a"porpoiseing" issue at times. Some of these cement pad road surfaces in a couple of states were insane at hwy speeds. I found the 25BH to be all & actually more than I needed for 2 people. For 3 kids it would be ideal albeit I would prefer 2 bathrooms in your situation but I don't think they make TT's with 2. GL & enjoy! BTW I actually drove to Middlebury, Indiana to pick up the TT. I saved thousands & by the time I got home (1,100 miles later) my learning curve with the TT was shortened immensely. This was my first TT but researched brands & felt the most comfortable with the 2 year warranty. If I were to do it again I would have gone F250.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:45 AM   #29

I haven't gotten a Jayco yet, still trying to sell my current trailer. I can't trade my current trailer in. I'd practically have to give it away.

Anyway back to Jayco. I can't vouch for a Jayco from personal experience, however after looking lots of different trailers in the same class that I'm looking for, 23RB, the Jayco, compared to those others, seems to be put together better.

One thing I always look for is the weight of the trailer and the size tire the manufacturer uses. With the Jay Flights, Jayco always uses 15" wheels. Most other manufacturers use 14" wheels. The 14" wheels, while technically ok, are always at the upper limits of their capacity. They do this to save a few bucks. Jayco just spends a few extra bucks and puts the higher capacity 15" wheels to start with.

Putting 15" wheels on their trailers, instead of the barely capable 14" wheels, says something about Jayco quality.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:29 AM   #30

Well quick update. I was getting worried about weights and found a great deal on a ram 2500 tradesman but my wife liked our tundra more as the tradesman had less options and MPG empty would hurt too. Campingworld was great and we switched to a Whitehawk 24mbh. Had a few more options than I would have opted for such as electric scissor jacks but we spent a $1000 more and dropped 1100lbs from the yellow sticker and saved 4' in length which makes me happier for our dry camping spots. Also looked at a 25bh and the Whotehawk was only 300lbs heavier. I think a lot of that was the 30lb tank upgrades it had the jacks and it's has the sanicon dump system. Take those away and I think the weights were comparable. Should pick it up in a week or two!
foxrider68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:04 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrider68 View Post
Well quick update. I was getting worried about weights and found a great deal on a ram 2500 tradesman but my wife liked our tundra more as the tradesman had less options and MPG empty would hurt too. Campingworld was great and we switched to a Whitehawk 24mbh. Had a few more options than I would have opted for such as electric scissor jacks but we spent a $1000 more and dropped 1100lbs from the yellow sticker and saved 4' in length which makes me happier for our dry camping spots. Also looked at a 25bh and the Whotehawk was only 300lbs heavier. I think a lot of that was the 30lb tank upgrades it had the jacks and it's has the sanicon dump system. Take those away and I think the weights were comparable. Should pick it up in a week or two!
Congratulations! I wish I would of visited this website before my first purchase. I'm sure I would of had a better buying experience.

Have a great time and make sure you find a PD checklist to take with you. I know the excitement will overwhelm you and the list will keep you on track.

Happy camping!
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:08 PM   #32

Apples to Apples

Socalcamper 87, be sure to look at the Starcraft version too. The warranty is the same as Jayco, while the fit and finish is very close. But the price will be thousands less.

<><
Rivercityjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:14 PM   #33

Whitehawks are awesome. You'll be happy you saved the weight. Plus you get a little bit nicer camper on the inside as a bonus.