Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2017, 02:52 PM   #1

About to purchase first trailer looking for your opinion on jayco?

Hello everyone im new to the forum. Im about to purchase my first trailer for my family. After looking around im considering purchasing the 2017 jayco 27 BHS. I really like the slide out as it opens up the living area, the double full size bunks, the outdoor stove area, quick connects for gas outside, private master bedroom ect. What are your opinions on this model or manufacturer? What are issues am I walking into? What upgrades do I need to make? What's needed and what's not?

A little a bit of info about me to take under consideration. We are a family of 5...(2) adults and (3) children. I will pull with a 2017 chevy silverado 4 door 1500. I live in southern California. Ill definitely be camping in the area and possible surrounding states.

Thanks in advance
Socalcamper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:06 PM   #2

We love ours, that's about all I can say. The outdoor kitchen area gets a lot of use from us. Both my wife and I can be cooking at the same time which makes meals go a lot faster. Perfect amount of space for 3 people and a dog. We haven't come even close to filling up all the cabinets.. there's more storage than we need honestly. If we had 3 kids, I *might* want something a little bigger, but you can make it work. Look into the elite package which comes with more water capacity, and the 'belly' is insulated, there are some other things that come with that I can't recall at the moment.. The slide out makes a massive difference in the open feel. We also have the skylight in the kitchen... we never need to use the lights inside until the sun sets. Anyway, it's a great floor plan, I doubt you would be disappointed.

Before anyone else asks - what are you going to tow it with? It *IS* 1/2 ton towable IF you have a 1/2 ton that was built for towing. Some can tow it, some shouldn't. I'm upgrading to a 3/4 ton truck for this camper.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:22 PM   #3

We are family of 5 as well and bought a 2017 27BHS right when they came out last summer. We absolutely love ours and it fits us great. We've done a full week at Disney and 5-6 long weekends and haven't really had any issues. Outdoor kitchen was what sold us vs the 28BHBS. The only thing I don't love it that the front storage doors are small relative the the 28 foot whitehawk we considered. But they are plenty big for what we need. We LOVE the LED strip under the awning and there is plenty of storage inside. We don't tend to use the table inside much. So we usually leave it laid down into a bed and that gives us more room to lounge inside. Plus one of our kids sometimes likes to sleep on it if they don't want to sleep together.

We got the insluated underbelly and the second AC (50 amp required). I like the second AC because we can run it during the day and you can't hear it in the main area of the camper. That second AC is pretty loud in the bedroom. But it's good to have if you need it.

The other thing I really like is that there's a full size queen that you can walk around. Mattress isn't great, so we put a memory foam topper on it and that helped.

I agree with the 1/2 ton thing. It's all up to personal preference. But we tried pulling it with a Sierra 1500...now I own an F350 Diesel. I felt like the camper was pushing the Sierra all over the road. I don't feel it back there at all now. With a half ton, you will definitely know that camper is back there. So be aware of that if you are intent on using that Silverado. You might want to consider something that is significantly below your tow and tongue weight limits as opposed to one that's relatively close to them like this one will probably be.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:27 PM   #4

I would just add, (I didn't see it when I replied earlier), please post the cargo capacity of your silverado. It should be on a yellow sticker on the drivers side door jam.. it will list a bunch of numbers. In My example, it's the 1806 number that's important. You won't want to be much below that for a comfortable experience. Especially with a full family in the truck.

Hindsight, I wouldn't have changed anything. This camper just 'encouraged' me to upgrade my truck faster than I otherwise would have.
Attached Thumbnails
20170207_125208_copy1.jpg  
Old 04-25-2017, 04:06 PM   #5
BCK

the 27BHS is a great unit. We have the 26BHS. It is basically the same layout but without the walk-around bed. Had I known about the 27 coming out when we bought ours we would have waited and got a little extra room in the front bedroom.

We are a family of 5 and the layout works well for us. The hide-a-bed option is decent too and is comfortable if/when you have extras.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewat View Post
I agree with the 1/2 ton thing. It's all up to personal preference. But we tried pulling it with a Sierra 1500...now I own an F350 Diesel. I felt like the camper was pushing the Sierra all over the road. I don't feel it back there at all now. With a half ton, you will definitely know that camper is back there. So be aware of that if you are intent on using that Silverado. You might want to consider something that is significantly below your tow and tongue weight limits as opposed to one that's relatively close to them like this one will probably be.

I have the 25BHS White Hawk and we love it! It's a bit shorter but I was worried going to much bigger with only having a 1/2 ton to pull it. I do have the most you can get out of a F-150 on my 2016 except the HPP and you can feel it because we are at the max on our payload. It tows great but I know the 3/4 or 1 tons would pull it with ease. I love the Jayco product but this is my first trailer so I have no experience with other brands other than seeing them at the shows. The outdoor kitchen is great and we have more storage than we would ever use for a family of 4. I like mine cause it had the biggest storage bay up front but all it did was allow me to overpack and increase my tongue weight. So I had to move some stuff around and ask the question do I really need this?

Check the specs on your truck and look at the little yellow sticker to find out your payload. Most importantly use this site to get all your questions answered cause the dealer will tell you whatever to sell you the trailer. They sold me mine when all I had was a 2007 Tahoe. When I got home I ran to the dealer and bought a truck cause the drive home was scary.

Good luck and I believe you will be happy with the Jayco whatever model you buy.
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:32 PM   #7

My yellow tag says 1721. GVWR 7000. I attached 2 pics. Thanks everyone again
Attached Thumbnails
20170425_172204.jpg   20170425_172151.jpg  
Old 04-25-2017, 08:13 PM   #8

I am towing the same tt with a 2016 silverado 1500. I have the max tow package so my GVWR is 7600 lbs and my payload is 1900 pounds.

I have now towed it twice and one time was extremely breezy. Both times I felt comfortable and the combo was not pushed around at all. The truck did great and I never felt like it was struggling.

The trailer is awesome. Lots of space and storage. We moved from a hybrid to the 27BHS this winter.

Scott
scottyt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:27 PM   #9

Socal,

Welcome!!!

Does your Chevy have the factory tow package, 5.3/ 6spd and what rear axle rationdo you have?

Power wise if you have the 3.42 gearing you should do pretty good with the 5.3/ 6spd combo.

As mentioned, it's the payload you need to possibly watch. The 1721lbs listed is based on how the truck rolled off the assembly line. As it states, all occupants, any cargo in the bed (coolers, bikes, firewood, etc), any accessories added to the truck (tonneau cover/truck topper, step bars, etc), the wdh (weight distribution hitch), AND the tt tw (travel trailer tongue weight) all count toward this 1721lb rating for your truck.

Understand the "brochure" weights are never that low once we start loading the tt up for a trip. The dry hitch/tongue (tw) weight does not include the weight of a battery or the propane tanks either. 2-30lb propane tanks and a battery add ~160lbs to the tw before even loading the rig up for a trip. So make sure you do all the homework before purchasing the rig.

Get a good wdh with integrated sway control. The Reese Dual Cam, SC, and the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system are all very good models. Make sure the dealer gives you the proper rated wd bars for the loaded tw. Don't base them on the "brochure" weight.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt24 View Post
I am towing the same tt with a 2016 silverado 1500. I have the max tow package so my GVWR is 7600 lbs and my payload is 1900 pounds.

I have now towed it twice and one time was extremely breezy. Both times I felt comfortable and the combo was not pushed around at all. The truck did great and I never felt like it was struggling.

The trailer is awesome. Lots of space and storage. We moved from a hybrid to the 27BHS this winter.

Scott
I know nothing about Chevy Silverado's but there seems to be a huge difference in numbers from yours and what the OP posted. 600lbs and almost 200 on the payload. Maybe he has a 4 door and you a extra cab or something?
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:40 PM   #11

I agree with others that you will want to watch the weight numbers. You may be running a little tight. Also keep in mind the kids are growing so they won't be any lighter. So if you are right at the limits this year you may be fine but next year you might be truck shopping. If that is in the plans anyhow then go up to a 3/4 ton or 1 ton and you will be fine.

The other option is consider a different model. We also really liked the floor plan of the 27BHS but the weight was just too tight for our comfort. We ended up going with the Jay Feather 25BH. If you compare the two it is a couple feet shorter but quite a bit lighter. The max weight with cargo of the 25BH is 6750lbs where the starting weight before anything is in it with no options on the 27BHS is 6335lbs. It is a good 1000lbs different. Most of the length difference is in the front bedroom area. The wall separating the front bedroom has pocket doors on each side and you can't walk around the foot of the bed. Also the bed is a RV Queen rather than the residential meaning it is a bit shorter. I am 6'4" and with my head just brushing the headboard area my feet just brush the wall. Anyone shorter than me should have no issue. You retain the love seat which is a sleeper (ours has the optional tri-fold), same dinette, same rear double width bunks as well as it has the optional outdoor kitchen which was the big selling point. The bathroom is a little bit smaller also the Jay Feather uses the fiberglass walls. Our old camper was stick and tin, so we thought we would try the fiberglass this time. There are pros and cons to both.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:14 PM   #12

Yea i guess I'll find a way to find out exactly what the gear ratios ect is. It's came with a stock tow package. And yes it's a 4 door standard box bed. Ecotech 5.3lL v8. Is there any small modifications I can do to the truck that would help?
Old 04-25-2017, 11:40 PM   #13

Hmmmmmmm 25 bh could definitely be considered
Old 04-26-2017, 12:59 AM   #14

When I was shopping for this truck all the reviews were saying first in class to be able to pull 12,500 lbs. I guess that's what happens when you brochure shop
Old 04-26-2017, 04:46 AM   #15

I basically had that same truck. Your call. But I would definitely consider the Jayfeather 25BH with that truck. I was not happy at all with the way my Sierra pulled the 27. It was just too close to the truck's limits. That said, the camper is really great. If it's an option, I would consider moving up to a 3/4 or 1 ton and getting the camper. If not, I would at least consider something a good bit lighter. Camping is no fun if you have to white knuckle all the way to the campground.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt24 View Post

Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropnaduece View Post
I know nothing about Chevy Silverado's but there seems to be a huge difference in numbers from yours and what the OP posted. 600lbs and almost 200 on the payload. Maybe he has a 4 door and you a extra cab or something?
Scotty has the Max Tow Package (per in his post), which gives the 3.73 gearing, and a little higher gvwr, resulting in a little more payload. May include other options, don't recall at the moment what all may be included though. Socal probably just had the basic tow package added.

Socal,

Look in the glovebox for all the option codes. Do a search for GM axle ratio code and match it up to what's in the glovebox of your truck. It should be a "G" code if I remember correctly. The brochure rating has gotten most of us at one time. It wasn't until I looked up how to reset my wdh, as I needed a refresher that I learned there is more than just a "tow rating" that needs to be taken into consideration.

How much does the family weigh? Remember, kids only grow and get heavier! Any accessories added to the truck? What do you anticipate hauling in the truck bed? Coolers can go in the tt, over the front axle or just in front of the axle. How far of trips do you guys plan on taking? Short trips the first few years, then IF needed, upgrade the truck?

Regardless of what tt you do get, it's suggested to weigh the rig combo to see if your wdh is adjusted correctly, and see what your weights are. Follow my signature link for a ton of wdh info and CAT Scale how to if needed.

Good luck deciding!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropnaduece View Post
We have the max tow so it has a higher GVWR of 7600# and a larger payload, plus heavier springs in the rear and a couple of other items.
scottyt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:56 AM   #18

when you think you found the TT of your likings, I would recommend finding a dealership that has one. Ditch the salesperson, sit in it for 30 minutes or more. Dig through all the cargo holds, open and inspect all the cabinets, look for all the dead and hidden areas, like storage under dinette benches.

Then start to think about how you are gong to use the TT, where are you going to place all your "stuff" for example the 17Z is very small and there is very little storage and CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity), that your cloths need to be kept in a duffle bag, and needs to be moved around depending on your activities. Me I liked the size of the 17Z, but I did not like the lack of CCC and places to put my stuff.

So while sitting inside, think about how you will use it, and where you will place your stuff.

Lastly make sure you have enough TV to tow it safely.

Happy Camping

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalcamper87 View Post
When I was shopping for this truck all the reviews were saying first in class to be able to pull 12,500 lbs. I guess that's what happens when you brochure shop
It actually can pull that much without going over payload

13% of 12500 pounds is 1625 pounds

If you have a payload of 2000 pounds available, you are still left with 375 pounds for the driver and a small amount of gear and the hitch. Puts you right on the edge of the envelope (too close for my comfort), especially at altitude, but the 12500 pound tow rating is valid as long as that isn't the only number people look at.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:22 AM   #20

So I called the dealer service department and he said I can tow 9400 lbs trailer. I think the 25bh might be a better suited. I dont like the idea of being limited with weight. And I don't want to be "that guy" lol