Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-28-2016, 08:14 PM   #1

AC Condensation Dripping Inside

Greetings All -

This weekend condensation from the Coleman AC unit in my 2004 Jayfeather LGT started dripping inside the trailer.

(Yes, we were running the air - we were camped at the Flamingo campground in Florida Everglades National Park, where it was in the mid-80s most of the holiday weekend...).

I'm guessing the problem is something like a clogged drain line on the outside (hard-to-reach!) part of the AC unit. Can anyone who's experienced this problem confirm or correct that? And maybe some info on where to look first to unclog / repair?

The worst part? Before we woke up and discovered the overnight dripping the water had fuzzed out the bottom 2" of my forward dinette seat. Now I'll probably end up replacing both seat sides and cutting a new tabletop to match.

Many thanks in advance for your advice -

~s
Sluggo4511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:34 PM   #2

There should be 2 Two drains on the A/C bottom pan. They are most likely plugged. There should be 1 on each side of the A/C. Get some stiff wire and bend it on the end 90 degrees and unplug the holes. On each A/C the holes are in a different place so you are just going to have to look for them. On ours there is like a rubber grommet and the hole is in the middle.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:38 PM   #3

A/C Dripping

Go on the roof and uncover the A/C unit. You should find a drain on the side that the unit drains (mine is on the left side) and make sure it is not clogged. Make sure filter filter is clean. If you have the owners manual on the A/C it might have a trouble shooting guide. Try u tube. Would like to know what the
out come is.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:53 PM   #4

I'm in Florida also. If it isn't your drains you may want to make sure you run it on high. Mine will do that on low depending on the humidity down here. On High, it never freezes up and drips so you can give that a try if no plugged drain is noted.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:51 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Agree with previous comments. The covers are usually held on by 4 screws. Cover should be easy to take off.
While your at it check the inside mount screws at tight. Remove inside cover and there will be 4 screws, 1 in each corner. Many of us found those screws loose on new units.
Those bracket screws have an indicator to tighten to about a 1/2" gap. That gets the foam gasket compressed but not collapsed completely. These screws need to be checked twice a year. They can loosen with vibration.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:38 AM   #6

There's also a gasket all the way around between the A/C and the roof of the TT. Sometimes the bolts need to be snugged to compress that gasket. However, don't actually tighten the 4 bolts down hard. They are supposed to be just tight enough to compress the gasket. There's one bolt in each corner of the return air opening inside the trailer.

Looks like Doug typed faster than I did.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:26 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Always good to have a couple replies on the same page.
Brilliant minds think alike lol
Best regards. Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote