Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-14-2014, 08:56 AM   #11
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I am waiting for the final word on what the dealership will charge me but from feedback here and on an rv group on Facebook, it seems that most of the people who have them wouldn't go back. And if they break, I can do them manually anyway (yes, I'd lose a bit of money) so depending on the "for sure" cost, I think I may do them. good info. here though for future reference....I knew about using a drill but didn't know about an "impact gun".

Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #12
Vanetta, an impact gun (or impact wrench) is kind of like a drill, except it is used for turning nuts ( like what the tire store uses on lug nuts). It works by applying little rotational impacts to the nut in the desired direction. It is not good for drilling holes. Most impact wrenches are powered by compressed air, but electric ones are good too.

2012 Greyhawk 31DS
2012 Ford Edge Toad

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #13
We have electric stabilizers on our White Hawk and had no problems. The only draw back to a drill or impact you got to remember to keep it charged. (That would be my problem anyway). I'd go with electric stabilizers.
"Freedom has a taste to those who fought and almost died for it ... that the protected will never know. Anonymous"

2016 Chevy High Country CC 2500 4x4 Duramax
30 DSRE White Hawk
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #14
While the elec stabs are convenient, the further I can stay away from Lippert products the better off I am. I'll take my chances with Rigid, DeWalt or SOB cordless.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:35 PM   #15
I love having Electric stabilizers,saves time at set up also.My Eagle has the remote control option also so all I do is press a button and they come down.I never had issues with them so far.But if you wanna save a few bucks a cordless drill will do fine as long as you remember to keep it charged
06 2500 Duramax. Air lift 5000 air bags,Equalizer WDH, EFI live,fass fuel system,4" straight pipe

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #16
as with anything electric (or 12 volt in this case). The motors do quit. Just like the power window motor on your car/truck. When the window does not raise, just slam the door hard and raise the window. You can bang hard on the case of the motor for your electric jacks, and they will raise too. Awnings is not as easy to pound on the motor if it fails.

Just remember you must have 12 volt supply to operate those electric jacks. EASY---just make sure you are plugged in to shore power when operating those jacks. (Just in case your RV battery goes dead during storage)
I started with nothing, and still have most of it left
2001 Jayco KIWI 23B
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 AWD
qwed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:17 PM   #17
How do you know how much to extend the electric stabilizers? Make contact with the ground and how far afterwards?
edwardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #18
Well I ordered the unit with them so hopefully they'll be more help than hindrance. Everything mechanical has to be fixed or replaced at some point so maybe I'll get a good length of time without issues and if not, it won't rock my world either. Thanks for all of the good suggestions and information!
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #19
well with mine I just let them make full contact with the pads then lift for a second afterwards .... they do take a minute or so to run down all the way probably a little slower than a drill or impact but I am usually not in that big of a rush ... I have a 20 volt brushless dewalt impact driver and in 6 months I have only charged it once.... it works great and doesn't use near the battery and I use it frequently for removing fender bolts on cars
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:03 PM   #20
Originally Posted by Vaneta View Post
I am getting ready to purchase a WhiteHawk 21FBS. I am female and travel alone so look for ways to simplify setup. Have priced getting electric stabilizers added at dealer as part of the purchase and it is do-able. Am wondering if they end up being more trouble than they are worth with any required maintenance or not lasting?

Vaneta, welcome to the forum. I have the old fashion stabilizers

fielro is offline   Reply With Quote