Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2015, 11:58 AM   #1
Jmd

Add me to the water leak club

Went to sanitize and fill my fresh water tank for the first time last night. Within a minute of turning on the hose, water began to pool inside the trailer along that same side. So much it was running back out and dripping the rear corner. That was how I noticed, since it was a lot.

This is actually the third water leak from the plumbing. The other two I repaired myself easily enough. I couldn't find where this was actually coming from.

It's at the service center now, where I was treated rudely this morning by the service desk person. Great way to start the day.
Jmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:21 PM   #2

Pleas keep us posted!
Dream Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #3

I know I am going to sound like a paranoid nut job but I have owned campers for 20 years now and I still check every plumbing connection I can every trip out. The first thing I do when filling the fresh water tank is start the hose and go inside to check the hose clamps to make sure they haven't loosened up on the inlet line. When I start the pump I check all fittings under the cabinets and sinks and if I am on an extended trip I do it multiple times. I also do not leave the pump on at night or while I am gone from the camper during the day. Campes move and flex going down the road way to much to take your water line connections for granted and yes over the years I have found connections loosening up.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:41 PM   #4
Jmd

I will be sure to update when I hear something.

It was crazy, I know some water was making it into the tanks as the gauge was beginning to show 1/3 full up from empty but a lot was coming into and running out the trailer again quickly.

I looked and looked last night to try and find where it was really coming from but couldn't. The bottom of my trailer has the cover thing so I can't actually see the tanks.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #5
Jmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by certified106 View Post
I know I am going to sound like a paranoid nut job but I have owned campers for 20 years now and I still check every plumbing connection I can every trip out. The first thing I do when filling the fresh water tank is start the hose and go inside to check the hose clamps to make sure they haven't loosened up on the inlet line. When I start the pump I check all fittings under the cabinets and sinks and if I am on an extended trip I do it multiple times. I also do not leave the pump on at night or while I am gone from the camper during the day. Campes move and flex going down the road way to much to take your water line connections for granted and yes over the years I have found connections loosening up.
And that is absolute good practice to do.

My trailer is currently three months old and I've had it out four times. I expected some things would need correcting. Of course I was really hoping it wouldn't be water issues and wouldn't you know it.

The first thing was the trap under the sink. Washing dishes and water comes pouring out on the floor. That part was barely hanging on, it was so loose. Hand tightened and no more leak.

Second was a hot water line to the bathroom sink, needed re-seating and tightened.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmd View Post
I will be sure to update when I hear something.

It was crazy, I know some water was making it into the tanks as the gauge was beginning to show 1/3 full up from empty but a lot was coming into and running out the trailer again quickly.

I looked and looked last night to try and find where it was really coming from but couldn't. The bottom of my trailer has the cover thing so I can't actually see the tanks.
Good thing is it was most likely the connection at the top of the fresh water tank and while they might have to replace some insulation it shouldn't soak the floor.

Luckily for me I can go inside and look in under the cabinet and see the inlet tube for the fresh water under the camper. Hopefully you are fixed up and back on the road in no time at all!
Old 10-07-2015, 04:15 PM   #7
Jmd

Quote:
Good thing is it was most likely the connection at the top of the fresh water tank and while they might have to replace some insulation it shouldn't soak the floor.

Luckily for me I can go inside and look in under the cabinet and see the inlet tube for the fresh water under the camper. Hopefully you are fixed up and back on the road in no time at all!
That's what I'm feeling too, must be the hose from just past the inlet and between where it joins the tank. It would match where the water fill is on the outside to near where the water was pooling up inside.

I looked all over for that, even opened up underneath fridge and couldn't find it. Just behind something I couldn't get to.

Thanks, I do hope it gets resolved quickly and easily. I was planning to go out for the weekend. If I have to I suppose I can bring the water jugs and do what I did for water when it was tenting days.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:37 PM   #8

Quote:
I know I am going to sound like a paranoid nut job but I have owned campers for 20 years now and I still check every plumbing connection I can every trip out.
Campes move and flex going down the road way to much to take your water line connections for granted and yes over the years I have found connections loosening up.
X2 and I place a paper towel down inside the kitchen & bath cabinet shelf and check for water spots and a small one at the toilet base. I use the brown paper towels because when they get wet they turn a real dark brown and easier to spot.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:44 PM   #9

On my Eagle 314BHDS the fresh water fill is behind the converter. It has to be removed to gain access - don't ask how I know. I had same issue but caught it very early before I had a lot of water. Fill hose was barely on the fresh water fill fitting in the outside of the trailer- easy fix.
faststandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:00 PM   #10
Jmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by faststandard View Post
On my Eagle 314BHDS the fresh water fill is behind the converter. It has to be removed to gain access - don't ask how I know. I had same issue but caught it very early before I had a lot of water. Fill hose was barely on the fresh water fill fitting in the outside of the trailer- easy fix.
Is the converter where the fuses are? I'll do some web searching about it when I get home later.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:11 PM   #11

Yes, both the fuses for 12vdc and the circuit breakers (120vac) are housed there.
faststandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:39 PM   #12
Jmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by faststandard View Post
Yes, both the fuses for 12vdc and the circuit breakers (120vac) are housed there.
Cool and my gut is telling me that I likely have a loose connection given 60% of the water seemed to go in the tank while the rest spilled out.

I'd honestly prefer to fix it myself as I then learn more about it and I know it's done solid.

I haven't heard anything from the service center today. If nothing by tomorrow I will pick it up friday morning regardless.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:14 PM   #13
Jmd

I got the update from the service center just now.

The guy told me there was a hole in the tubing just after where it enters the trailer. He said it looked as if someone had jabbed a screwdriver or similar thing into the water inlet. They cut the bad part off the tubing and reattached it, sealed and it will be ready this afternoon.

Two things come to my mind, that someone actually vandalized it either while at my house or at the storage place. But what a weird thing to vandalize.

More likely it happened at the factory. This is the first time I've tried filling the fresh water tank since I got it in August so have no way to know for certain.

But, warranty is covering it just the same and I am picking it up this afternoon which means my plans for the weekend are still on!
Old 10-09-2015, 08:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmd View Post
I got the update from the service center just now.

The guy told me there was a hole in the tubing just after where it enters the trailer. He said it looked as if someone had jabbed a screwdriver or similar thing into the water inlet. They cut the bad part off the tubing and reattached it, sealed and it will be ready this afternoon.

Two things come to my mind, that someone actually vandalized it either while at my house or at the storage place. But what a weird thing to vandalize.

More likely it happened at the factory. This is the first time I've tried filling the fresh water tank since I got it in August so have no way to know for certain.

But, warranty is covering it just the same and I am picking it up this afternoon which means my plans for the weekend are still on!
No water damage???
Dream Girl is offline   Reply With Quote