Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-18-2016, 10:31 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Madera
Posts: 7
Add the TV battery to my TT house batteries?

I have a Starter/Deep cycle battery in my car. Why not keep the car connected which adds to my house battery capacity? Yes the car can be depleted beyond starting but I have a portable lipo battery for starting the car if necessary.
__________________

rjgilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:43 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: CENTRAL NEW YORK
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgilman View Post
I have a Starter/Deep cycle battery in my car. Why not keep the car connected which adds to my house battery capacity? Yes the car can be depleted beyond starting but I have a portable lipo battery for starting the car if necessary.
Cars alternator is more suited to keeping a battery charged while supply current needed to operate cars demands. No ideal to use it as a charger for your battery.
__________________

__________________
2013 33 RLDS
2004 Chevy Avalanche 2500 8.1
2007 TBSS
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
mike837go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Campbell Hall
Posts: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgilman View Post
I have a Starter/Deep cycle battery in my car. Why not keep the car connected which adds to my house battery capacity? Yes the car can be depleted beyond starting but I have a portable lipo battery for starting the car if necessary.
Not only is it "bad practice" to risk a no-start condition, that won't happen because the breakaway battery charge lead is switched off when the key is off.

On top of that, when two storage batteries are wired in parallel, they tend to try and equalize with each other. Matched batteries have to be used in these cases.

I got a cheap, small genset (1kw) that I run for 45 minutes a day to keep the TT's battery up. Much better than running the tow's engine.

Some people use a solar panel to provide enough electricity.

Double-check on the electrical systems used on motor homes. No use of the engine battery for the coach. Seems like the right idea
__________________
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck


Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:06 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: SW Washington
Posts: 664
The lengths people will go to save a couple bucks astounds me..
__________________
2009 F350 CC LB 4WD
2017 Jayco 355MBQS
Rustysocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Madera
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Not only is it "bad practice" to risk a no-start condition, that won't happen because the breakaway battery charge lead is switched off when the key is off.

On top of that, when two storage batteries are wired in parallel, they tend to try and equalize with each other. Matched batteries have to be used in these cases.

I got a cheap, small genset (1kw) that I run for 45 minutes a day to keep the TT's battery up. Much better than running the tow's engine.

Some people use a solar panel to provide enough electricity.

Double-check on the electrical systems used on motor homes. No use of the engine battery for the coach. Seems like the right idea
RE: "breakaway battery charge lead is switched off when the key is off"
Thank you. I did not know this.

RE: "On top of that, when two storage batteries are wired in parallel, they tend to try and equalize with each other. Matched batteries have to be used in these cases."
Yup. I forgot about this.
rjgilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Madera
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
The lengths people will go to save a couple bucks astounds me..
Price not the point. Weight and space storage are my challenges.
rjgilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:07 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
mike837go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Campbell Hall
Posts: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgilman View Post
Price not the point. Weight and space storage are my challenges.
Easy problems to solve, Get a bigger truck.
__________________
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck


Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: SW Washington
Posts: 664
If a second battery is putting your over the edge you were too close to it to begin with.
__________________

__________________
2009 F350 CC LB 4WD
2017 Jayco 355MBQS
Rustysocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
12 volt, house battery

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.