Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #1

Addinig a Coleman Mini Mach AC to my Swift 184BH

Living in Missouri and camping in the summer, I was not entirely happy with the 5000 btu AC that is built into the camper. I was considering a Coleman Mini Mach to go in the front vent hole.

Has anyone done this? I like the idea of the Mini Mach because it is 7100 btu which is 2100 more than the window unit, but the placement is also a lot better for cooling the entire camper. My kids get super hot in the bunks (especially the top bunk). Further more, it would be really easy to run a conduit wire across the top into the same plug in receptacle that runs the currents window unit. The mini Mach is only about 80 pounds so that shouldn't add any stress to the roof. It is a really low profile AC too.

http://www.airva.eu/COLEMAN-range.htm

Thoughts?

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #2

I added the same unit to our 1007 pop up last year 2 weeks before we traded it in (doh...) Nice and clean install and took me less than 2 hours to do.
Days camping in 2013 - 33 so far
2 more 3 or 4 day trips planned.
salexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #3

I have the same TT and also live in Missouri. I totally understand what you are saying. I am very interested in your project and how it works out for you. You will have to post results and maybe even project pics. Where did you get the mini mach and what do they cost?
wayspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #4

I have not got the mini Mach yet. I have found them online for about $600 shipped. I was not impressed with the built in ACs ability to cool the camper. I have looked at the circuit breaker and it should handle to Mini Mach just fine. I don't know that I am crazy about having drill a small hole in the cabinet piece of conduit across the ceiling in a brand new trailer. My pupup camper had the same set up and it looked nice, but I just feel like this shouldn't be needed.

I have found that the 5000btu AC just didn't cut it... Do you feel the same way?, or is it just me.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
Old 05-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #5

Yes I feel the same way about the 5000btu AC. At first I tried to be conservative and turn the AC down or off during the day when we were away. That does not work. You have to leave it on high cool 24 hrs. a day for it to be bearable. I also don't like that the condensation drains down across the out side window. Seems like they could have put a small piece of channel in there to divert the water from running down the window. Other than the AC issues I like the TT.
wayspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #6

Hi have you tried using some fans to keep the air circulating in the camper it realy helps in our trailer?
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #7

I have some clip on fans that I use to divert cool air to the bunks. The main problem is the the 5000btu AC doesn't make enough cold air to combat a 105 degree July day. Just not enough to go around and combat the extreme heat.

2017 Jayco 287BHSW