Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-08-2010, 01:36 AM   #1

Advice Needed

Hello All,
I love the site and all the great input you all provide. I just sold my Winnebago Motorhome and about to buy a Jayco TT. I was researching different makes and decided Jayco is for me. I love the rear living floor plan and want two recliners and a couch. I dont want the tv to far away as in some floor plans. I need advice as to what my Tow Vehicle can handle. I own a 2008 Toyota Tundra Crew Max. Has anybody towed with these trucks. I like the Jayco Eagle TT but not sure if it would be to heavy. Should I just get an Eagle lite or G2.Not sure what to do. I am dealing with RV Direct right now and may purchase from them. Not sure if I will be able to get my local dealer to work on it, not sure if they will deny me since I did not buy it there. RV Direct has some amazing pricing. I just have my wife and one child, but would like room for friends and family not sure if the Eagle lite will make me regret anything. Anyways any advice or anybody who has what I am looking for with input would be great....
bulldogs116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:40 AM   #2

This chart should help. http://www.toyota.com/upfitters/pdfs...Capacities.pdf. Find your model and engine then check the tow capacity, this is how much you can tow.

Next check your GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) of your truck.

Then check the GVWR of the TT, the maximum weight after loading the TT).

Now check the GCWR (gross combined weight rating) this is the maximum combined weight of your truck and TT that you can legally tow. Hope this helps.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:04 PM   #3

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum Bulldogs! Can't comment on the weight thing, but if your tv can handle 7500+lbs you can't go wrong with the bigger G2's (that is we like our's a lot!). Let us know what you do
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #4

Where you plan to tow the tt makes a difference, too. For each 1,000 ft in elevation above sea level you travel the efficiency of a gasoline engine decreases by 3%. Thus if you plan to tow in mountains that are 10,000 ft above sea level (example, Rockies in Colorado) you tow vehicle will be pulling at only 70% efficiency/effectiveness.

Sales personnel at travel trailer dealers will sometimes/often/generally sell you the biggest, most expensive trailer you can afford regardless of what you plan to tow with. Their attitude seems to be that towing is your problem/responsility. It is not their problem if you purchase a trailer that is too big for your tow vehicle; they reason that you can simply buy a more powerful tow vehicle. I'm just sayin'. . . .
Old 11-08-2010, 11:08 PM   #5

I went with the G2 instead of the Eagle in order to keep weight down. I also bought from RV Direct and found a mobile RV repair center to handle all Jayco warranty work, this way I don't have to worry about going to a dealer and trying to get them to work on a TT they did not sell. Where are you located?
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:08 PM   #6

Some folks "load to the max" and others don't. When I first got into towing a TT, I loaded "at max" numbers. Worked great for 4 traveling trips. On the 5th trip, I had to drive into a strong head wind. And, I had to drive up hills as well. Man, did our Tow Vehicle struggle. But, she did it. We made it home in calm driving conditions 5 days later. Approx 3 days later (at home), I'm driving my vehicle away from a stop light and all of a sudden, "bang"!!! I lots 2nd gear. And, unknown at that time, I lost "R" gear as well. Limped vehicle to my local transmission expert and he immediately said that its transmission was over stressed. Something pushed it "over the top" and it simply gave up. Cost $1,200 for a complete rebuild. All because I loaded Tow Vehicle and Trailer at its MAX number. With this lesson learn in mind, I now only load "up to" 80% of its MAX numbers. Thus, allowing 20% for a strong head wind &/or a steep hill climbs. Our rebuilt transmisison and our new Tow Vehicle has been running great every since. It loves 80% loading much better.

Lesson learn... Don't load your combo to its MAX numbers either. Stay around 80% - to allow some buffer for strong head winds and/or steep hills...

Good luck!!!

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:44 AM   #7

Thanks guys

I live in Pa outside Philly...I do like the G2 but not huge on the exterior. Like the Eagle exterior. If I can score a G2 with a couch and two recliners might be the one. So far I only found the two couch combo in the rear. I can tow up to 16000 thats my GVCW rating with my Toyota Tundra. My only other problem I think I may need address prior to buying is My Tundra has 22 inch tires stock from Toyota but none the less they are low profile tires.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:47 AM   #8

USMC616

Would love to discuss your deal with RV Direct and tips I am sure you may have with your experience. How long is your G2 and do you have the fireplace etc/... Does the double slide out interfere when u camp. like the slide get into the way of your camp site. Most slides generally stay on one side or the other. The G2 I saw the slided came out on both sides...
Old 11-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogs116 View Post
USMC616

Would love to discuss your deal with RV Direct and tips I am sure you may have with your experience. How long is your G2 and do you have the fireplace etc/... Does the double slide out interfere when u camp. like the slide get into the way of your camp site. Most slides generally stay on one side or the other. The G2 I saw the slided came out on both sides...
We also received low quotes from RV Direct and used that as bargaining tool with local dealer. Our dealer actually honored the qoute (we dealt with the internet manager and the owner though... no salesman).

I think the Jayflight G2 you refer to is the . It has the large rear window, two chairs (not sure if they are recliners) and the couch. We looked through one once, but wanted the bunks for our grandkids, so didn't really pay attention to details. One thing we consider is where the tv is located and can you see it well from the chairs/couch. Here is a . Go to Jayco.com for more info
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogs116 View Post
USMC616

My Jayco is a rear bunk model with both slides on the same side. I liked the Eagle exterior better than the G2 but needed to keep weight down. My Excursion is rated to tow 9600lbs, with 6 of us in the TV and our TT loaded we may be at that limit.

RV Direct sold me the TT for $21,350.00 out the door. My previous best price was from a dealer in Indiana for more money, less options and I had to go there. I picked my TT up in Albany at Albany RV. RV Direct also gave me a good price on my trade. If you want to deal with RV Direct and purchase through them you can always stay at the KOA in Saugerties, NY after you pick it up.

Any questions let me know.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #11

I tow my tt with a 2007 Tundra 5.7. My 27' tt dry weighs about 4900 lbs. The truck tows the camper unbelievably well-with plenty of power to spare. I usually run in 5th gear, which is the first overdrive, at 2000 rpms. I don't think I would want to pull anything more than 7500 lbs though. I know the Tundra is rated to tow over 10,000 lbs, mainly because of the 4.30 gear ratio, but I wouldn't want to do it. It is a 1/2 ton, after all.
4weekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #12

Bought a 2011 Jayco G2 33rlds

I got an incredible deal on the trailer from a great dealer found it at the rv show local. Got all my towing needs included and threw in a Yamaha 3000s generator.

Buying one Recliner that I wanted and keeping the two couches. Love the Fireplace, how could you camp without and Indoor Fireplace...

I remember camping as a kid and received death threats from my Father not to touch the inside of the tent...Look at me now MOM!!!
Old 02-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Jim Manley
You're a hoot Bulldog
Old 02-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #14

We have a 330RLTS and wouldn't even think of towing it with less than a 3/4 ton truck. My brother in law has a 320RLDS and he is glad he bought a 3/4 ton truckl. He just wishes he had a diesel.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #15

Thanks

I will let you know...

I can always buy a new 3500 Dually to pull it, I am gonna wait to see how the Tundra Does. I have faith in the Tundra,,,it pulls the other toys no problem...