Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-29-2016, 06:10 PM   #1

advice on long trips??

I have a Jayflight 22FB, my TV is a 2010 dodge ram 1500 (5.7 hemi). I live in Delaware and we are planning a trip to Florida in June, we wont be going alone, another couple will be trailering theres as well. were gonna drive to NC and spend the night then drive to Florida. My ?? is what do I need to focus on for the safety. im gonna get another spare, and have my axles/bearings all checked before hand. also get the truck serviced and checked does anyone have any tips that would help for long trips?? im getting my tool box together now to take. any info would be helpful. thanks
seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:29 PM   #2
Site Team

I have been a member of Good Sam Road Service for 15 years. It is good to have when traveling. Don't know your time frame but we like to stop every 6 hours and spend the night when we can't make our destination in one day's drive.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:47 PM   #3

1) Check your tires before you go. Any unusual tread wear? Are the sidewalls cracked very much? Any unusual lumpiness on the sidewalls, or out of roundness (symptom of a belt failure) of the tire as a whole?
2) If you don't already have one, consider getting a TPMS. It has saved me at least once from having a tire slowly losing air and eventually failing due to low air pressure.
3) I like to get fuel at the 1/4 tank level - sometimes finding fuel at a station that has room for your tow and trailer is hard.
4) Look at each tire carefully at each fill-up. Look especially for out of roundness.
5) Although you are traveling with a friend, friends need to have a safe following distance behind the other guy like everybody needs to.
6) Don't get too speedy, but too slow is a hazard, too.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:47 PM   #4

I would get a cheap Infra red heat sensor from Harbor Freight keep an eye on tire and hub temperatures.

Stop every so often stretch your legs and check things over to avoid some problems later.

We also do like Norty plan on 6 hours a day driving then stop. My days of having to get there fast are behind me now.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #5

First thing safety wise is to get thru DC early (before 6 am) or later in day. Although construction has eased, just too many vehicles vying for the same real estate. I'm assuming your heading down 95
Basic tools and basic knowledge of auto repair should get you through in case of most issues. Max pressure in TV & TT tires & check each stop & each morning. Roads are good and most of 95 has wide enough Shoulders just in case. Last year I stayed in the right lane (for the most part) from PA to Florida and was comfortable at 60-63 mph with the trailer.
One thing I recommend highly is planning on Gas stops. You know what your approx. mileage is and once a few miles south of DC, gas stations are numerous but not always easy to maneuver with a TT. Google earth is your friend. Generally look for Pumps that parallel road. We are heading to Florida in a couple of weeks and I plan on using the same stops I did last year.

One quick note gas prices are Highest in NC. lower in VA, SC, & GA.

015 Ford F250 Lariat SD
2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL (Sold)
2017 KZ Durango D281RLT.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:56 PM   #6
Site Team

I second a TPMS. Best money I ever spent for a camping accessory.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:32 PM   #7

I did Jersey to Fla last summer and it was quite a ride,so far what you have planned for the truck and trailer seems good.I also like to carry extra fluids for truck,oil,trans fluid ww fluid and spare fire extinguisher.Like other said plan your fuel stops before you need them,my truck is diesel and most stops I just looked for a sign for truck friendly and had no major issues except 2 said truck friendly and they weren't to friendly with my trailer size.Also doesn't hurt to get a cheap pair of walkie talkies,we got a $30 off amazon and they had about a 5 mile range,it was nice to use with others traveling with us for bathroom breaks or fuel stop needed. make sure you plan your trip around DC at a good time,as you need to go around the tunnels which adds some time to your trip,we went thru around 4 am and it was pleasantly easy to get thru.Where do you plan on stopping in NC,we stopped at a place called Rvacation,it was right on 95 about a hour from SC,it was quiet and nice and clean,they were in the process of re paving the entire place while we stayed for the night and they had all pull thru spots.dont waste your time at south of the border either,nothing special to see or do there

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:36 PM   #8

I am in southern Del, so I will be going to the chessy bay bridge tunnel and taking 17 to my inlaws house in GREENVILLE NC resting the driving from there to fla, there is another party going with us that has made the trip before. but we are below DC thank god!!
seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:45 PM   #9

Lucky you!NC to Fla was still and long haul with traffic,we left at 9am and didn't get to fort wilderness til almost 10pm

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:16 PM   #10

Put a floor jack in the back of the truck. If you do get a flat, you will be the King of highway tire changes.

(not kidding, I pretty much take mine everywhere now, it's useful for more than just tire changes).
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:27 PM   #11

When we traveled to Disney from NY I made sure to have an air compressor with us. Every morning before we set out I checked all the tires to ensure they were aired up.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:33 AM   #12

A lot of good suggestions, here - even for a shorter trip. One thing I might suggest, is to pick up a pair of walkie-talkies/family band radios to keep in touch with your fellow traveler. That way, if you get visually separated or one of you has an emergency/breakdown/needs gas, etc. you can keep the other one informed. Cell phones are good, buy you'll probably run into an area or two where you won't pick up a signal. Once you get to Disney, you can use them to coordinate lunch breaks, parking, leaving together, etc.

They also work well to communicate with your spotter when backing into your campsite on future trips. Works a lot better than yelling out the window, and many remote campgrounds have little/no cell phone coverage.

Have a great trip!