Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2016, 09:41 PM   #1

Air Conditioner, Missed expectations

I'm a newb when it comes to trailer camping... this is the first few months with our 'new' setup.
We bought an x19h and the AC (I thought was 15000 btu from the option list on the Jayco website) ended up only being a 13500 btu unit.
Well... that is still plenty big right? Except it won't cool off the camper.
Not totally true... it will lower internal temps anywhere from 5-10 degrees depending on where you are taking the temp reading. It also blows out of the unit at around 45-50 degrees when the compressor is running. But it just doesn't get cold.
We were camping in the shade w/ an ambient air temp of 80 degrees and it would only get to around 76-78 in the camper (compressor would only run at my estimate of a 50% duty cycle) so it never got chilly inside. If I closed the pop-outs, I would earn another 2 or so degrees. We were parked in the woods, shaded all but a short period during the middle of the day.
I am taking the unit in to the dealer to have them look at it on the 8th, but I am half expecting them to say that it's blowing 45* air which is what it is supposed to be blowing and that is within the units specifications. Are there any other factors that should be considered or as long as the temp is in the 45-50 degree range, they are going to say that is satisfactory and leave it at that.
FYI we do not have a thermostat, the unit temp is set by using a sliding scale/knob and I have only used it at the coldest position.
Curt TruTrack WDH
(2) Wen 2K Inverter Generators
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere
Inglysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:52 AM   #2

45-50 degree air out of an AC is decent. However it is concerning that your camper was only about 5 degrees cooler overall. Did you have all of you window shades down, Windows and doors closed, storage areas closed? No one going in/out of the camper?

The bunks are a major source of heat gain. We closed the curtains on our bunks which made a world of difference in the camper. They do make a product called gizmos which go over the top of the bunk end fabric to help reflect the heat of sunlight. I have not personally tried these but was told they work wonders.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:56 AM   #3
Site Team

Here is thread that someone has some for sale if they may help:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...7-a-26325.html

If you don't know about them search the forum for: pop up gizmos and there are pictures and other info. I don't think the dealer is going to tell you much except to reduce the loss of heat inside if the ac is cooling it's heart out!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heady View Post
45-50 degree air out of an AC is decent. .
That's more than decent. If the air temp coming out of the unit is 20/22 degrees cooler than the air going in it is working as designed.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:05 AM   #5

It was an amazing difference in cooling down the inside of our OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer by just using 9X12 tarps over both tent bed ends...

Also made it darker inside as a lot of sunlight comes through the standard tent bed fabric covers...

We were in place for a couple of weeks on one trip and I got a 20x30 big blue tarp from WALMART that went over the whole popup and tied off to the ground on the back side and extended out over the awning and to ground on the front side. Nice and cool after doing that... I cut a hole in the tarp where the A/C was at on the roof... Tarp was cheap and didn't last long...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:38 AM   #6

Our first camper was a pop-up and it had a 13.5K BTU AC in it as well. Worked very well at night. During the day, though...whew!

If you were still warm in the shade and your compressor is kicking on and off before it cools the interior, something may be wrong with your AC or the thermostat. Most non-ducted units have a temperature sensor that typically sits in the return air flow to sense the incoming air temp. Once the incoming air temp reaches the temp set by the slider or turn knob, the compressor shuts off.

I'd take it back to the dealer and have them look at it. If they say it's operating normally, then at least you've got that question answered and can move on to other mitigation techniques.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #7

We have a bigger x23B and the AC will freeze us out...particularly my wife.

This past weekend we were camping w/temps in the mid 80s and we had to raise the A/C temp as my wife was too cold. The trailer was in the sun most of the day except for after 6pm or so.

I do have some heavy duty reflective "survival" blankets I put the bunk ends as a cheap guy "pop-up gizmos"
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #8

Here's a thread on another forum that talks about this problem and possible causes.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Question 1 - Air conditioner struggles to cool camper
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:13 PM   #9

I have a 2014 X19H w/ 13,500 btu.

This past weekend camping the temps all day were around 30 C / 37 C with humitity. Airconditioner was doing well keeping up considering we were in direct sunlight all day, no shade. Kept the bunk end curtains closed to keep most cold air in main part, no bunk end covers. We were frozen out and had to turn it to low. Even in afternoon when I was a little exhausted from all the heat outside I took a nap in the hot bunk end with the air vent directed at me and felt cooler, I managed a recharge nap and felt better.

Actually forced us to eat outside as it was chilly in the camper.

Can't say for sure what the temp in camper was ... sorry

Going to invest in bunk end covers (pop up gizmos) as I'm sure it would help the air conditioner work a little less hard.