Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2015, 09:02 AM   #1

Question Air in water line -- pump won't shut off

We have air getting in our water lines on a 2015 Jayco 26BHS also the water pump does not stop running if you run only a small amount of water. The dealer said it might be the water pump so sent us a new one. Installed that one and the problem was worse so put the original pump back on. Had it in to the dealer last fall for warranty work and they said they checked the water pressure and it was fine. We have never been hooked up to city water, just dry camping. We have checked every connection possible and all are tight. The dealer said it could be the filter so we removed the water filter under the sink. That was clean and did not help. We just can't figure how air is getting into the lines. Also why the pump won't shut off. The only time it will shut off is if you run a lot of water. We haul in water so hate to waste it just so pump will shut off. So every time we want water we turn the pump on (which pump starts running right away) and then shut the switch off when we are done rumming water. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Justustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:11 AM   #2

If you have the pick-up line for winterizing check to make sure the valve is fully closed and seated Possible that you could be sucking in air through that line
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #3

Have you installed a pressure meter on the faucet side? You could do this on the shower head easy enough. Watch to see if your pressure gets up to around 45-50PSI and if the pump cycles off. Then check the meter for any bleeding (loss of pressure). That should tell you that there is a leak on the pressure side and not the draw side.

The leak could be anywhere in the unit and not around the pump itself. Is your outside shower head on and the cutoff on the head only closed? This a common issue.

Another thing is to check the connections in and around the water heater.

I would check all the connections around faucets first then go from there. If your unit won't get up to pressure a city connection will give you ample pressure to check all the fittings.

Paper is a good tool when you can't see in an area. Wrap the fitting in a little (TP or PT) and check for moisture.

Hope this helps.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:18 PM   #4

Air in the line can prevent the pump from shutting off. It sounds like you are sucking air on the inlet side of the pump. My bet is on the winterization valve or it's associated plumbing.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #5
Site Team

Interesting... This year we arrived here in the North GA Mountains and for the first time the water pump was running constantly with only a little water running out of the faucets. There was a lot of air in the pump filter canister. After verifying all the valves were closed, I opened the winterizing valve and filled the filter canister with water (primed it) and let it fill the hose that goes to the fresh water tanks also. I turned the valve off and turned the pump on... It worked.. but there was still an air bubble in the filter canister.. after a few days their was no more air.
You may want to give that a try.
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justustwo View Post
We have air getting in our water lines on a 2015 Jayco 26BHS also the water pump does not stop running if you run only a small amount of water.
I have the same problem, Jayco suggested that it might be a problem with the bypass on the pump (kicks in at higher pressure to reduce vibration). I replaced the pump with a new one, which made it better but still has the same problem when I use only a small amount of water.

My solution was to install a 2gal pressure tank which gives me about 1-1.2gal of drawdown before the pump kicks in. When the pump does kick in, I let the water run a little extra which seems to allow it to prime and work properly.
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote