Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2016, 06:22 AM   #1

Question Aluminum Siding question.

For those of you who have Jayco units which have the aluminum siding on the exterior, how do/did you like it?

Has anyone gotten the aluminum siding, then regretted it?

How much more difficult is it to wash and wax the aluminum rather than the flat fiberglass?

I've never had a trailer with aluminum before. I do have some concern if I will like it or not.

The look itself is beginning to grow on me.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:09 AM   #2

Aluminum Siding question.

I like it just fine. The fiberglass looks a little nicer and might possibly be easier to clean, but I haven't had any problems with it. It's a LOT easier and cheaper to repair if that becomes necessary. If the fiberglass gets any significant damage, the entire side needs to be replaced.
TrailerScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:07 AM   #3

I have aluminum on mine, but I can't really give a comparison as I've never owned "slab-sides".

My dad (runs commercial trucks for a living) says there isn't much to worry about. I preferred aluminum when I purchased for the reasons mentioned by TrailerScott above: easier to repair if the need ever arises. Not to mention it's cheaper in the beginning. I saw SO many trailers with delamination issues when I was shopping that I got scared of the flat sided trailers.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:47 AM   #4

Delam is my concern also
tshirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:48 AM   #5
Site Team

After nearly 7 years mine looks just fine. Not hard to wash if you keep up with it, do not wait for black streaks to get baked on.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:58 PM   #6

I've been very happy with my alum siding. Not hard to wash at all. I wash by hand after each trip and wax twice a year, again by hand.

We chose aluminum primarily because of all the delamination I've seen. Also, I find after about 5-6 seasons most of the fiberglass I see shows oxidation and has lost its shine. Probably it from a combination of owner maintanence and the lack of gelcoat on most fiberglass trailers.

Both work well, both has positives and negatives, I don't think you would be making a mistake going in either direction. Just figured out what is important to you, and if you are the type who will religiously check the roof and seals to ensure no water penetration and delamination if you go fiberglass.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:04 PM   #7
BCK

My last tt was fiberglass and we went with aluminum this time for similar reasons as above. I found out first hand just how difficult it is to repair fiberglass sides after a leak.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #8

We bought our last trailer, a Gulfstream Kingsport, new. That thing had black streaks on it from day one. They weren't terribly noticeable, but for a picky guy like me I was never happy with the finish on that thing. I owned it for 10 years, washed and waxed religiously, and even though my neighbors said it still looked new when I sold it, I never liked the streaks I could see on it even after a good wash and wax. I bought my current Jayco used and couldn't be happier with the nice finish it has. I suspect the former owner was as picky as I, but it just seems so much easier to wash and wax than the Gulfstream - and no streaks at all to be seen when clean! This just leaves me to assume that Jayco just has a better finished coat on their products. I am quite happy with the aluminum siding.
Camp Winican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:38 PM   #9

How do you get up on top of a Jay Flight? Can't lean a ladder against the siding or it will get bent, right? Do you either use the attached ladder of equiped, or use a step ladder that parallel to the side of the trailer?
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:03 PM   #10

Delamination is a major issue down the road. Also, most of the "fiberglass" RV's are not fiberglass like say a corvette. It is a fiberglass reinforced plastic, much like you find in fast food restaurant kitchens. It is glued to metal panels, with an adhesive which has to allow some movement. When I toured the plant I was shocked to see how poorly the panels were laminated. In my cabinet shop we used "vacuum bonding", it means you use air pressure to apply pressure to the panel while the glue sets. What I saw was maybe 50% coverage of the panel and metal framing, we always set a minimum of 90% coverage. That being said, along with the vast numbers of RV's I've seen with delamination issues I choose aluminum. No issues, easy to repair and no problem cleaning it. I use the ladder on the rear of the TT to get to the roof. I'm not a small guy about 250 and have no issue on the roof. If your concerned you could use a piece of plywood and walk on that, being careful not to damage the roof membrane.
Good Luck and Happy Camping .

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:07 PM   #11

I have had units with both the siding and the flat wall. I like the flat wall for it seems to hold up much much better to hail. We have many hail storms every year here in Southern Minnesota. I have had the Alum siding get hail damage and it looked horrible and cost quite a bit to get repaired.
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
How do you get up on top of a Jay Flight?

I use the attached ladder. I always thought it was strange that it was an option and not stock. Of course, half the stuff in the Elite package seems like it should be standard…
TrailerScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:23 PM   #13

Aluminum Siding question.

OP, to answer your question our first camper was aluminum and we didn't regret it.

Our current camper is fiberglass. We just decided to switch it up.

The fiberglass is easier to wash and wax but not a huge difference. The bigger difference is the look. I've gotten compliments on how nice the smooth sides and tinted frameless Windows look everywhere we've camped.

I think the main things that keep people away from fiberglass are the additional cost of the option and the additional weight.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote