Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2017, 08:08 PM   #1

Amp Help ASAP!

Anyone using a 30 amp smaller trailer like ours? We have the Jayflight 185 so 18 foot travel trailer. It's a 2016. We are FREAKED out about using a 30am dog leg at a 50 amp campground. It's says some blurb on the outside by the cord not to use more. But every forum outside of here talks about the breaker system and how is protected and it won't allow the trailer to draw more than 30amps if we use a dog leg. OMG!!! Then you that this is not true. Then there's the damn question....is is JUST MY TRAILER that is lower end jayco (even though brand new) that CANT use a 50 amp service post with a 30 amp dog leg???? My god the confusion on this crap is killing me!! We feel like we never get direct answers for OUR rig. It's always IF this and IF that and RV etc. everyone in his thread is travel trailer. Please help. We are booked to go on a trip Feb 28th and I can see the sites say 50amp!!! (Insert emoji with knife stabbing my head) thanks everyone.
theroofshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:16 PM   #2

I know many, many people who've used a 50 to 30 adapter, including myself. You still have a 30 amp main breaker in your trailer so you can't draw more than 30 amps.

Relax and enjoy your trip.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:16 PM   #3

Using a 50 amp dog bone on 30 amp circuit is safe. Your trailer is protected by it's own 30 amp breaker in the converter/distribution box.

I use them regularly even if there's a 30 amp outlet on the post.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:17 PM   #4

I've never seen a 50A site that didn't also have 30A and 20A in the panel. There some folks who will use an adapter to step down the 50-30 do they can plug into the 50a connection since it typically has less wear. I've never felt that to be necessary.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:19 PM   #5

Stop. Deep breath. You're fine using a 50A adapter.

You wouldn't trip the pedestal breaker if you were pulling over 30A (but under 50A), but you would trip the main breaker in the trailer itself for any overload beyond the shore cable and if you were to short that you'll trip the 50A on the pedestal anyhow..
John1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #6

As everyone has said, your RV is protected and won't allow you to draw more than 30 amps. The only potential problem, which is not really a problem is, the cord between your circuit panel and the post COULD under unusual circumstances draw up to the 50 amps.. I have never seen this happen, or heard of it, but, if a short would occur you could damage your cord, worst case scenario.

I would use the dog leg and not worry about it...as others said, I'm shocked there is no 30 amp plug along with the 50 amp. In the overall scope of things to worry about, this is about number 987. Happy camping

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:37 PM   #7

I'll echo the no worries. The electric is the same. It's like driving a high horse power car. You could hit the gas and top end at 200mph but you're going to just putter around the neighborhood.

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #8

Amp Help ASAP!

The pedestal doesn't push 50amp... your trailer pulls what it needs. If your trailer pulls more than 30amp, it will trip your main breaker like was stated earlier... if you are using a 30amp surge protector like the Progressive Industries 30 amp model it will protect you as well....
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroofshack View Post
Anyone using a 30 amp smaller trailer like ours? We have the Jayflight 185 so 18 foot travel trailer. It's a 2016. We are FREAKED out about using a 30am dog leg at a 50 amp campground. It's says some blurb on the outside by the cord not to use more. But every forum outside of here talks about the breaker system and how is protected and it won't allow the trailer to draw more than 30amps if we use a dog leg. OMG!!! Then you that this is not true. Then there's the damn question....is is JUST MY TRAILER that is lower end jayco (even though brand new) that CANT use a 50 amp service post with a 30 amp dog leg???? My god the confusion on this crap is killing me!! We feel like we never get direct answers for OUR rig. It's always IF this and IF that and RV etc. everyone in his thread is travel trailer. Please help. We are booked to go on a trip Feb 28th and I can see the sites say 50amp!!! (Insert emoji with knife stabbing my head) thanks everyone.
This is a total non-issue, don't worry about it. Think about it this way: The 50-amp circuit is capable of providing 50 amps. However, your TT's electrical system is limited to using 30 amps - if you were to turn on everything you've got, you might reach 30 amps through your circuit breaker, but as soon as you go over it's going to pop. So you're completely safe. You can't overload the 50-amp circuit in any way, because your trailer absolutely cannot exceed 30 amps.

It sounds like you're worried that the 50-amp circuit will somehow push too much current through your trailer. Good news: Electricity doesn't work that way.

Hey, it's kind of like your house. You probably have 200-amp service coming in. Your breaker box distributes that to a variety of lower-capacity circuits, like 15 amps for lights, 20 amps for outlets, maybe even 100 amps for an electric range, clothes dryer or water heater.

Now go enjoy your trailer!!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:15 AM   #10

Thankyou!

You guys are awesome. What scares us is the notation written on the outside right by the plug. And also, we just could not grasp that on our circuit breaker panel we have 30amp and I think saw some 20amp switches. Electric is always a weird topic for most people hat don't "get it".
Also the site I was talking about when I registered online it says 50amp. So there's no way to know until we arrive that it does have 30 and 20 plug ins on the post. Thanks so much you guys.
theroofshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:40 AM   #11

I've never seen a pedestal that only had a 50 amp outlet. Although I could believe it in some Resort setting that cater strictly to large rigs. I'm not certain where my 50 to 30 adapter is. I may have taken it out and never put it back.

Btw, think of this, you have water coming into your home. Your shower valve has a great flow than your sink faucet. You may also have a drip irrigation system in your yard all from the same flow coming in.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:38 AM   #12

One other part of that is... Your TT is not lower end, as much as it is matched up with the power requirements necessary with your setup.

Congrats on the new toy! Enjoy
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:25 AM   #13
Site Team

Use the dog bone and enjoy the trip. You still have the same limits on current usage as if plugged into 30a.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:21 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
I've never seen a pedestal that only had a 50 amp outlet. Although I could believe it in some Resort setting that cater strictly to large rigs. I'm not certain where my 50 to 30 adapter is. I may have taken it out and never put it back.

Btw, think of this, you have water coming into your home. Your shower valve has a great flow than your sink faucet. You may also have a drip irrigation system in your yard all from the same flow coming in.

I have only seen one pedestal in my travels that only had 50 amp. I borrowed an adapter from a friend and it was a non issue. I now carry an adapter though.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
...snip
I found a variation on the 30amp/50amp conundrum: I think it was at the Amana Colonies RV Park in Iowa. For each group of 4 adjacent, back-in sites, they had 4 pedestals in a group at the rear; 2 with 30amp and 2 with 50amp.

We backed into our assigned site, began setting up, and found the 2 trailers already there had taken both 30amp pedestals. Until that moment, I'd never saw a need for the 50amp to 30amp adapter and didn't own one. Fortunately, they had them at the office and loaned us one.

I bought one after we returned from that trip, but I've never used it and I'll have to hunt for it IF if need it again.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroofshack View Post
You guys are awesome. What scares us is the notation written on the outside right by the plug. And also, we just could not grasp that on our circuit breaker panel we have 30amp and I think saw some 20amp switches. Electric is always a weird topic for most people hat don't "get it".
Also the site I was talking about when I registered online it says 50amp. So there's no way to know until we arrive that it does have 30 and 20 plug ins on the post. Thanks so much you guys.
I would bet you will have a 50 amp, 30 amp and 20 amp outlet at your sight. We could really confuse you adding 50 amp is a double pole breaker while 30 amp is single pole ... again you will have no issues..

Enjoy your Trip.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
I found a variation on the 30amp/50amp conundrum: I think it was at the Amana Colonies RV Park in Iowa. For each group of 4 adjacent, back-in sites, they had 4 pedestals in a group at the rear; 2 with 30amp and 2 with 50amp.

We backed into our assigned site, began setting up, and found the 2 trailers already there had taken both 30amp pedestals. Until that moment, I'd never saw a need for the 50amp to 30amp adapter and didn't own one. Fortunately, they had them at the office and loaned us one.

I bought one after we returned from that trip, but I've never used it and I'll have to hunt for it IF if need it again.
Interesting to know. We're planning on going to Iowa in May, including the Amana Colony, so I need to make sure I pick up an adapter before then. I already have a 20-30 for plugging in here at home.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:16 AM   #18

Surge suppressors are NOT circuit breakers and will not protect your trailer against an over current event. A surge suppressor protects you against transient voltages, either too high or too low. Voltage and amperage are completely different ways of measuring electricity.
I design, build and wire electrical distribution systems and have for the last 34 years.
Vicr
IBEW Local 46
Seattle, WA
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:46 AM   #19

As someone who has a clue or two about electricty, you are running a risk to your power cord and adapter.

If, somehow, a dead-short was applied to the cord, it would most likely not be able to carry the full overload of 50A. Resulting in a fire.

That being the worst case scenario, the likelyhood of that level of shorting is negligible.

Go ahead and camp with your little trailler connected to a 'too big' socket. Just keep an eye on the cord. Anything that looks suspicious, disconnect.

The safest path is the correct sized socket and breaker.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:19 PM   #20

Put this behind the adapter from 50 - 30 amp

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55301-D...Power+Defender

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 amp. electrical, 50 amp, dog leg adapter