Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2023, 10:13 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMC2023 View Post
I talked to my husband and he said he has done that. What we are trying to do is get WiFi for things like Netflix or internet. How does this Winegard work for that? This wasn’t really explained to us. Why do I need to go to AT&T to buy data if there is a Winegard SIM card already in there.
You joined a thread that is talking about television amplifiers, not wifi signal boosters. Not much on this thread will help you with your problem.

They are available on newer units but I have very little knowledge of them. Maybe some members with newer rigs will chime in....Sorry.

edit: Here is a thread that has some info about that Winegard antenna: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ter-78491.html
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 11:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
You joined a thread that is talking about television amplifiers, not wifi signal boosters. Not much on this thread will help you with your problem.

They are available on newer units but I have very little knowledge of them. Maybe some members with newer rigs will chime in....Sorry.

edit: Here is a thread that has some info about that Winegard antenna: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ter-78491.html
Ok. Thank you
ACMC2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 09:21 AM   #23

i installed a Distribution Amplifier similar to this one between the wall plate and the tv. made a world of difference in the number of channels i picked up.
got it at Walmart in 2018
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Antenna...14002738&psc=1
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 10:09 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMC2023 View Post
I talked to my husband and he said he has done that. What we are trying to do is get WiFi for things like Netflix or internet. How does this Winegard work for that? This wasn’t really explained to us. Why do I need to go to AT&T to buy data if there is a Winegard SIM card already in there.

Ok, First I will start by saying that there is NOT a SIM card inside the Winegard from the factory, unless you or the dealer had it installed. Dealers are notoriously bad about explaining it, and I think they are mostly clueless as well. Winegard has a learning curve to it, and lots of threads here on it. Winegard is a very nice series of antennas. The over the air antennas for watching TV are on the dome on top of camper. There is also a WiFi antenna there as well. If you have winegard 2.0, you then have a box inside the camper, over the bed in the ceiling in our camper. That box has two additional WiFi antennas. You should have received a small manual with the camper papers. There is a power switch next to it that needs to be turned on. Winegard has to be setup, and manual explains how.Either through Jaycommand or with a laptop/Ipad/phone. Once setup, you can direct it to login to the available WiFi, insert password if required. If the local signal is good, you are golden. If not, then streaming will be a chore. Winegard supports their own SIM card, as well as those from Verizon/AT&T. You purchase those separately with a data plan and install in the box inside the camper. That can be handy as campground WIFI are notoriously slow. Of course, the 4G cards can be just as bad with heavy traffic. Winegard's plan is fairly expensive, the other two offer better plans. Read that manual carefully, it is somewhat tricky the first time, and you can call them for help.
Old 06-22-2023, 10:46 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Ok, First I will start by saying that there is NOT a SIM card inside the Winegard from the factory, unless you or the dealer had it installed. Dealers are notoriously bad about explaining it, and I think they are mostly clueless as well. Winegard has a learning curve to it, and lots of threads here on it. Winegard is a very nice series of antennas. The over the air antennas for watching TV are on the dome on top of camper. There is also a WiFi antenna there as well. If you have winegard 2.0, you then have a box inside the camper, over the bed in the ceiling in our camper. That box has two additional WiFi antennas. You should have received a small manual with the camper papers. There is a power switch next to it that needs to be turned on. Winegard has to be setup, and manual explains how.Either through Jaycommand or with a laptop/Ipad/phone. Once setup, you can direct it to login to the available WiFi, insert password if required. If the local signal is good, you are golden. If not, then streaming will be a chore. Winegard supports their own SIM card, as well as those from Verizon/AT&T. You purchase those separately with a data plan and install in the box inside the camper. That can be handy as campground WIFI are notoriously slow. Of course, the 4G cards can be just as bad with heavy traffic. Winegard's plan is fairly expensive, the other two offer better plans. Read that manual carefully, it is somewhat tricky the first time, and you can call them for help.
Thank you so much for the information.
ACMC2023 is offline   Reply With Quote