Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-02-2011, 01:34 AM   #1

Annual Maintenance

There is lots of great information here, I tried searching and couldn't find anything on what most of you are doing for regular/annual maintenace on your TT. Anyone have a list/schedule they care to share? We are experienced campers but new to RV/Trailers and don't want to overlook some routine maintenance I should be performing to keep things looking and working great for years to come. Oh, we just took delivery of a '12 JayFlight 26BH...so hopefully nothing has been neglected yet and there are no slides to be concerned with. Thanks.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #2

Don't forget the bi-annual roof treatment/clean that is required to keep your roof warranty in effect.

I full time and I do the following every month:

Run my generator for 1 hour under load (I keep stabilizer in the fuel all the time)
Run my refrigerator on propane for 24 hours
Run my hot water heater on propane through at least a shower or as yesterday through to loads of laundry and a shower.

I want everything to work when away from my home base.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #3

Although not that great, your manual should have a maintenance checklist in it. Each appliance manual will also have a scheduled maintenance list. I tend to go through everything I can both when I winterize and when I pull it out for the spring.

Biggest thing is to read your warranty documents. It will outline specific things you need to do in order to keep your warranty in effect. Biggest thing as Ed mentioned is your roof. There are specific things you have to do in that regard. Make sure you keep records of all your work so if you ever have a problem you can pull your records.

Enjoy that new 26BH -- I kind of like them

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

clubhouse,

Welcome to the Jayco forums.

Adding to what the other members have said..., check the torque of the bolts/nuts on your WDH and TV's receiver on an annual basis. Also, frequently check your WDH and TV's receiver during the course of the camping season for any signs of excessive rust, bending, or compromised welds.

At least every two years have your brakes inspected/adjusted and axle bearings repacked.

I would recommend that you do the following ASAP: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=2880&page=8

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #5

Thank you both. Looks like I have some reading to do...I was looking for the easy way out, but I guess that isn't the best option.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #6

Bob,

Regarding checking the torque on the WD hitch..

I have the Husky Centerline, tried to get the Reese Dual Cam or Equilizer, but my dealer was is a Husky shop. Anyway they convinced me that I would be happy with the Centerline. Took thier word for it since the TT price wasn't going to change whether I took the hitch or not, and thought if I don't Husky hits Craigs list and I purchase another one. Anyway,so far with ~500 miles on it seems to work pretty good although I have no comparion.

Anyway, my question, it is reasonable to get the necessary torque with and manual torque wrench or is this just the excuse I need to by my self a new compressor and impact wrench for Christmas?

jon
Old 12-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

jon,

It isn't necessary to go out and purchase a torque wrench, some folks just take their WDH (without the TT) to their local auto shop, tire dealership, or RV dealer to have the torque checked (shouldn't cost anything).

But, if you like tools, nothing wrong with adding a torque wrench to the man-cave!

Bob

ps: Manual torque wrench works just fine.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #8
Site Team

When cleaning the roof be sure to inspect all sealants around all vents, tv antenna, and especially roof joints (where the rubber roof material meets the siding on the front and back of the roof) for any signs of deterioration such as cracking or holes. Apply fresh Dicor lap sealant to these areas as needed. Also inspect sealants around clearance lights, cargo doors, and any other exterior fittings or attachments regularly. Water intrusion is an RV`s worst enemy, and many customers are blamed for lack of sealant maintanance when there is a leak.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
Site Team

You can get an inexpensive torque wrench with 1/2 inch drive for less than $25 at Harbor Freight. I carry mine all the time.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Thank you both. Looks like I have some reading to do...I was looking for the easy way out, but I guess that isn't the best option.
I love to jump right in and tinker....but then I do go back and read all of my manuals in detail. I know it is a pain, but once you get past all the warnings on how you are going to die or loose a finger - they are actually pretty informative. Some of the things in there won't make sense, so go back and read them again after you use the camper several times. I am amazed that I pick up something new here and there most times I pull it out again.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote