Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2015, 08:58 PM   #1

Another genny question 1, 2 or which

So what are the opinions on generators. If I had the cash it would be two honda or two yamaha s. So here goes what are the thoughts on the champion 3100 or two of the little champion inverters or a single yamaha ef2400. To me the two smaller champions have more running watts and just seem to make more sense. I see a good used yamaha 2400 on Craigslist and have read good reports on the champion 3100.

The plan is to start and run a 15k ac. If I went with the 1 genny set up I realize I would have to manage usage more. I know I can't cool and make coffee at the same time anyway and I can't afford a genny big enough and quiet enough to do what I need.

Let me have it I've read a million different forums on this...
Pegsmi98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:40 PM   #2

Since you have a 15k AC you can eliminate the Yamaha 2400 from your options. IIRC even the Yamaha owners manual is clear that it won't start all 13.5k ACs let alone a 15k AC.

I personally have a Honda. Bought it used on craigslist for $600. Around here they can be found on CL with some frequency, some have obviously used hard but not all.

I would feel very comfortable with Yamaha generators too.

I have no experience with Champion, I am aware they are making some headway in the "quiet inverter" type generator. Folks who have them generally seem pleased. I might be inclined to go that route once I heard them for myself and if they came from some place with a liberal return policy, like Costco, just in case.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Since you have a 15k AC you can eliminate the Yamaha 2400 from your options. IIRC even the Yamaha owners manual is clear that it won't start all 13.5k ACs let alone a 15k AC.

I personally have a Honda. Bought it used on craigslist for $600. Around here they can be found on CL with some frequency, some have obviously used hard but not all.

I would feel very comfortable with Yamaha generators too.

I have no experience with Champion, I am aware they are making some headway in the "quiet inverter" type generator. Folks who have them generally seem pleased. I might be inclined to go that route once I heard them for myself and if they came from some place with a liberal return policy, like Costco, just in case.
OK thank you. I suppose money aside which it is not... I would have a large quiet genny. From what I'm seeing on reviews the two 1700 watt champions parallel together seem very solid to me for a nice running wattage and brass tacks two for the price of a honda or yamaha. Some have reported the champion 3100 running a 15k ac...
Old 01-22-2015, 10:13 PM   #4

I only have a single Champion 2000 watt, but I've seen fivers running their A/C with a stacked pair. The total wattage of the two Champions paired is less than just the sum of the two running singly, if I recall correctly.

We have had our Champion for a few years and are very pleased. It starts easily, runs well, and is pretty much as quiet as its pricey brothers.

I think the real difference between getting a single larger generator or pairing two smaller ones comes down to just one question: How many pounds can you lift?
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:23 PM   #5

Thanks Dewey. All brands of these little generators are very light in my opinion. The champ 3100 is also very manageable. The total running wattage is more with the two smaller ones in parallel.

To think I even tented a couple years ago amazes me when I look at the research and camping I am doing now. It is a lot more comfortable, more expensive only one run to enjoy it all.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:42 PM   #6

I only use campgrounds with commercial power so a genset is not a necessity for me.

However once long ago I purchased a contractor grade Dewalt genset - capable of providing a solid 30A at 120V. I originally purchased it for home hurricane backup duty, but eventually I replaced that with a whole house/propane fueled/auto-switched genset.

Rather than dump the old generator I decided to save it for possible use with w/my trailer (emergency use only and good until I run out of gasoline).

Neither produces the quiet, clean power that your units would, but they serve my purpose.

I would express one concern, make sure you secure these items. While my dogs slept peacefully I've lost my fueled gas cans and extensions cords - they just walked away.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:54 AM   #7

Check out the new Power House 4,000 watt unit. It's fuel injected and will run a 15KW A/C unit. I have one on order.

http://www.powerhouse-products.com/p...uct/ph4000rie/

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
Check out the new Power House 4,000 watt unit. It's fuel injected and will run a 15KW A/C unit. I have one on order.

http://www.powerhouse-products.com/p...uct/ph4000rie/
This spec would be the killer for me:

Noise Level @ 23 ft.
(Zero Load / Full Load) 64.2 / 73.3 dB

The people around you will definitely know it is running.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:32 AM   #9

Fuel injection would be sweet a touch to loud though