Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2016, 01:30 PM   #21

Stagnant Lines

We use bottled water but not for the reason many others have stated. I consider the RV itself to be a potential source for contamination. Considering that the trailer sits stewing in the hot sun for periods ranging between days to weeks without any fresh water flowing through the lines, the likelihood for bacteria growth seems extremely high. The most high tech bacteria resistant hose in the world won't make a difference if the problem exists after the intake valve. It is that same logic that means I do not use a filter since without flowing water they become a Petri dish.

If you need evidence of the potential for this... Trying leaving the fridge door closed while your rig is parked in the hot sun for a couple of weeks. The fridge is not as contained as the water lines but it is a moist, stagnant environment. After the first week the mould will be nice black streaks... By week two it will have fur trim!

When I arrive at a CG I do flush my hose before hooking it up and after hook up I run the water inside to flush the lines. That is enough to let me feel safe using the supply for dish water, but for drinking I choose to bring a more secure supply.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:28 PM   #22

My lovely bride has a very refined palette when it comes to water. We just buy gallon jugs of water to drink from the local Walmart or supermarket... usually less than 90 cents per gallon.

We use a white hose, just to differentiate between fresh water and a hose that we use to flush the black tanks. I used to drink water out of the spigot that would lay in our yard all summer... I'm still here.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:32 PM   #23

If my nose can overcome the smell, I’ll drink it. Never have I had an issue with water yet. I drink CG water all the time. I do have a friend on a season site, that has a well, and it is the foulest tasting and smelling water I have ever experienced. I don’t even want it in my tanks.

Regarding white hoses, if you stop out at your local hardware store, you will find there are a lot of hoses now days that are approved for drinking water and they are not white.

As to bottled water. My son won’t drink it, unless it is the last and only option. He says it has no taste.

One of the divisions at work makes all kinds of filtration systems, including water filters. In one meeting a VP was talking about water filtration, he stated you filter the water one way or another, ether use a good external filter, or your body will filter the water for you. So true. I do have a water filter at home.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:46 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
My lovely bride has a very refined palette when it comes to water. We just buy gallon jugs of water to drink from the local Walmart or supermarket... usually less than 90 cents per gallon.

We use a white hose, just to differentiate between fresh water and a hose that we use to flush the black tanks. I used to drink water out of the spigot that would lay in our yard all summer... I'm still here.
My DW will not drink the CG water either so we bring bottled water always. As for me, I`m not so particular but I go with the flow, that`s the smart choice. Gotta keep mama happy.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
We use bottled water but not for the reason many others have stated. I consider the RV itself to be a potential source for contamination. Considering that the trailer sits stewing in the hot sun for periods ranging between days to weeks without any fresh water flowing through the lines, the likelihood for bacteria growth seems extremely high. The most high tech bacteria resistant hose in the world won't make a difference if the problem exists after the intake valve. It is that same logic that means I do not use a filter since without flowing water they become a Petri dish.

If you need evidence of the potential for this... Trying leaving the fridge door closed while your rig is parked in the hot sun for a couple of weeks. The fridge is not as contained as the water lines but it is a moist, stagnant environment. After the first week the mould will be nice black streaks... By week two it will have fur trim!

When I arrive at a CG I do flush my hose before hooking it up and after hook up I run the water inside to flush the lines. That is enough to let me feel safe using the supply for dish water, but for drinking I choose to bring a more secure supply.
There's just nothing like the intense taste/smell of plastic after that water has been sitting in the pipes for a long time, especially in the heat. That's another reason why we drink bottled. It seems to take a lot to flush the lines clear of that taste, even after I've sanitized. DW will often fill the dog's water bowl from the sink right when we get to camp, and if the lines haven't been flushed out good, he won't even drink it! I'm a little nicer, I give him some of our water...

We have a Dolphin pump on top of a 5 gal water cooler bottle. At $1 for 5 gallons of consistent water, it's worth it for us.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:51 AM   #26

There is nothing magical about "white" hoses. Yes the color is commonly used for potable water, but many if not most common hoses can be used [check the data on the package] just the same. Probably the best reason to use white for your drinking water is that it reminds not to use that one for anything else.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:02 AM   #27

reading some of these post make me wonder if some people are way beyond OCD and go around in a plastic bubble.
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #28
Site Team

There all kinds. Just hope they are not in a position to require all to be OCD. (Not that there is anything wrong with being OCD)
To quote one of my favorited Seinfield lines.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson View Post
reading some of these post make me wonder if some people are way beyond OCD and go around in a plastic bubble.
Nah, I'm usually pretty care free in most other aspects. But spending the weekend on the toilet instead of out having fun makes one a little more particular about certain things. I also like to enjoy a nice cold glass of fresh, clean water after a long hot day, and I prefer that to have a nice refreshing taste instead of trying desperately to choke it down while holding my nose. I'm also pretty particular about how my coffee tastes. If I have to pay $1 for that and be called OCD, so be it, color me OCD then... still worth it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:12 PM   #30

I always tote my drinking water, I test water for a living basically. Tap and CG water is chock full of dissolved organic material which over works your kidneys/liver/pancreas because they have filter it out as waster. Bottled water contains high levels of BPA (regardless of brand) which is an endocrine/hormone disrupter.

I have a couple reverse osmosis units at home which make 99.99% pure water and I tote it everyday and camping in BPA free containers. RO water is so pure it absorbs impurities easily because it void of them (think sponge). Fluoridation of municipal tap water is a different thread entirely. I should also mention Im 54 and haven't taken any presription meds since my 50th birthday, good water is one key to good health, the other obvious one is diet but thats another thread as well. Forgive my rant.
Pomacanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:16 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomacanthus View Post
I always tote my drinking water, I test water for a living basically. Tap and CG water is chock full of dissolved organic material which over works your kidneys/liver/pancreas because they have filter it out as waster. Bottled water contains high levels of BPA (regardless of brand) which is an endocrine/hormone disrupter.

I have a couple reverse osmosis units at home which make 99.99% pure water and I tote it everyday and camping in BPA free containers. RO water is so pure it absorbs impurities easily because it void of them (think sponge). Fluoridation of municipal tap water is a different thread entirely. I should also mention Im 54 and haven't taken any presription meds since my 50th birthday, good water is one key to good health, the other obvious one is diet but thats another thread as well. Forgive my rant.
If that is a rant, you are one mellow person!
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:38 PM   #32
Site Team

We carry water with us for drinking. We do drink the tap water and if we don't care for the taste, we use ours. Our taste buds can detect the way coffee can change tastes when brewed with different water. We are 60 and early 70's and take no drugs either but we keep our camper pipes flushed out and only use the fresh tank for flushing, even using bottled water when dry camping infrequently.

My wife's system is more sensitive to different water than me and I firmly believe that even though the water you drink may be completely safe, your system does not like it because it's different from what is used to.

Whatever works is the way to go.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 03-22-2016, 07:31 PM   #33

We use the white hoses and just a in line filter. We do take bottled water just in case but have returned home with just about the same amounts we left with. If you have concerns, boil a few gallons and put it in one gallon plastic bottles.
Jhnbggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:39 PM   #34

In 2013 my wife & I went to central Florida for about 6 months to take care of my Mom before she passed, and it was real hard getting used to the water there. That's when we started getting bottled water, and when we got back here that's what we've done since.

Now we have bottled water delivered, and we will take local supermarket water when we camp. Our water at the house has an unbelievable amount of dissolved solids and is very hard. I'm sure when we have to, we'll use the bottled water to fill our couple ice trays. You don't want bad water ruin a good rum & Pepsi
kevcarr59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:54 AM   #35

Ah, water, the universal solvent that will eventually dissolve anything. So the purer the water, I.E. RO water the more aggressive it is. Not really good for your body either.

Here is just one link to a don't drink RO water.There are a lot more pro and con articles, but my experience below, and a bit of chemical knowledge makes it a no, no for me.

Reverse Osmosis Water -- Health Advantages and Disadvantages

I used to run some large RO units for our boilers. I tried it a few times to just drink, and found it totally tasteless, didn't like coffee made with it either. All water lines had to be Stainless Steel or they would get eaten up rather quickly. So what's it doing to you?? You need some minerals for taste also.

For camping I use the white hose , a charcoal filter, and a portable water softener. Unless the water is terrible, the filter and softener makes it drinkable.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:06 AM   #36
Site Team

I like minerals in my water. Not of fan of RO but I guess it's better than sulphur infused. When we buy gallons we make sure it's natural spring water.
Tastes better but coffee will bring out the worst in bad water.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 03-24-2016, 07:25 AM   #37

We bring 5 gallons of our well water, but drink the water at many campgrounds in Wisconsin, etc. We also have a filter for when we can get city water which is rare for us as most time there is no water hookup where we camp in State Parks mostly, the exception is Grand Marais City Park.

Larry J
2015 SLX 264bhw
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:23 PM   #38

We use the blue camco filter. I figure it filters out the big stuff, which is the main concern.

I use bottled water for cooking and drinking... unless I fill the tank before I leave home, but once that first tank is empty, it's bottled water from then on.

I'm kind of a coffee snob... and water snob I guess?

ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:58 PM   #39

White hoses. Whole house carbon filter. We have 2ea 2 1/2 gallon dispensers that we fill at home for coffee, cooking and drinking. Dishes and bathing is on CG water. If we run out of home water, we will find a water dispensing unit or buy a couple gallons.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:10 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDad View Post
Ah, water, the universal solvent that will eventually dissolve anything. So the purer the water, I.E. RO water the more aggressive it is. Not really good for your body either.

Here is just one link to a don't drink RO water.There are a lot more pro and con articles, but my experience below, and a bit of chemical knowledge makes it a no, no for me.

Reverse Osmosis Water -- Health Advantages and Disadvantages

I used to run some large RO units for our boilers. I tried it a few times to just drink, and found it totally tasteless, didn't like coffee made with it either. All water lines had to be Stainless Steel or they would get eaten up rather quickly. So what's it doing to you?? You need some minerals for taste also.

For camping I use the white hose , a charcoal filter, and a portable water softener. Unless the water is terrible, the filter and softener makes it drinkable.
I live on the same aquifer as a major bottling plant for bottled water. They run R/O for many reasons despite the water being very good overall.
You see we and they both have Uranium in the water. It is not going to kill you but its hard on the kidneys.
We of course just run R/O on drinking water..not bath or for any other uses.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote