Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #1

Another question on weight

I've read here for several weeks on weight and distribution. A lot of good solid information. Interesting site.

My question -
1. Should the TT tongue weight never be less than the unloaded trailer tongue during loading, and installing additional equipment?

Getting closer to understanding the basics of towing.
hogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #2

As I understand your question, you're asking if a loaded TT or one having extra equipment installed should ever have a trailer tongue weight LESS than the unloaded trailer tongue weight ("unloaded" meaning the mnfr's unloaded weight). The answer is "no." Usually, larger TTs are designed to have an unloaded tongue weight between 11-12% of the unloaded weight of the TT (designed that way for optimal towing characteristics). As you load or add equipment to the TT, the tongue weight will increase (you can, however, minimize the increased tongue weight by sometimes placing the load/equipment towards the back of the TT). As a general rule, the tongue weight can be 10-15% of the loaded TT, but ideally, you want the loaded tongue weight to be 11-13% of the loaded TT (when less than 11-12%, the TT may have a tendency to sway; when greater than 13% you may exceed (or be close to) your TV hitch rating).
Iota DLS-55, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, Trimetric TM-2025

WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #3

Exactly the information I was asking for.

Thanks so much for your response.

Hogjaw
hogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBadger View Post
snip....... As a general rule, the tongue weight can be 10-15% of the loaded TT, but ideally, you want the loaded tongue weight to be 11-13% of the loaded TT (when less than 11-12%, the TT may have a tendency to sway; when greater than 13% you may exceed (or be close to) your TV hitch rating).
Your correct that RV and WDH manufactures both recommend a 10% - 15% loaded tongue weight range (% of loaded TT weight). Equally important the TV's receiver (and WDH) should always be rated to handle all of the TT's actual loaded weights, and/or TT GVWR. I would say that "any" loaded TT tongue weight value has the potential of exceeding or being close to one's hitch rating, thus the importance of a CAT scale weigh-in.

However, with the longer and heavier TT's maintaining a 13% to 15% loaded tongue weight range is actually desirable because it enhances the TV's handling characteristics should a sway event arise.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #5

Quote:
I would say that "any" loaded TT tongue weight value has the potential of exceeding or being close to one's hitch rating, thus the importance of a CAT scale weigh-in.
Agreed. For the sake of brevity, however, I prepared my response to answer the OP's "general" weight question as he/she continues to learn about towing basics. CAT scale weigh-ins should be a drill for anyone who tows a TT. Unfortunately, many don't and only focus on mnfr TV/TT ratings/payloads, and/or worse, the TT salesperson. We see this across the numerous RV blogs where somewhere wants to know, for example, if it's "OK" to tow a 8K+ TT with a 1/2 ton TV. I suppose the quick answer is, "it all depends," but what many don't appreciate (ie, those who haven't visited this forum and reviewed the replies from Rustic Eagle and others) is that they will most likely exceed the TV's hitch weight rating before they exceed the TV payload number. It goes without saying that the heavier the TT, the heavier the tongue weight and 13-15% is the correct zone to strive for with those TTs. My point was simply to note that one needs to pay close attention to hitch ratings at these larger tongue weights.

Bottomline to all readers: know your TT and TV mnfr rated numbers. Visit a CAT scale when loaded. Analyze your numbers (with the help of this forum and elsewhere) and make adjustments as necessary. Happy trails and safe towing.
Iota DLS-55, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, Trimetric TM-2025

WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote