Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #1

Any audiophiles out there?

We just finished our first weekend in our 2011 314 BHDS. Asided from the non-swiveling TV issue that I mentioned a week ago, we loved the TT. However, I'm a bit of an "audio snob" and was not real pleased with the sound quality of the speakers - indoor or outdoor. I know that the Jensen unit that comes with the TT is average at best, and could benefit from additional power via a good amp, but I was curious if any of you have swapped out the speakers in your campers for higher quality ones. What size are the factory cut outs? What brands have speakers that fit, both inside and out? Any feedback is appreciated.

Happy Camping!
Jacuzzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Not only is the sound not that great, The FM reception is downright lousy and it has an exterior roof antenna. I can only receive the closest of stations. The radio in my garage with just a dipole antenna picks up way better then that thing does.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #3

I have a new 28BHS. Haven't tried the speakers yet but if the system really does sound that bad I will for sure be upgrading.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #4

I am a BIG "audiophile" and work in the business, but I have not upgraded my speakers in the TT yet....

I do not have outside speakers on the TT, but I have a FM transmitter and a powered speaker that is wireless. I use this as my "Outside Speaker System".

It would be very expensive for most people, but I got it for a good price as an employee. Most people that hear it, say it is better than their "Outside Speakers".

If you would like to talk about my set-up, please PM me or e-mail me and I would be happy to help.

I am not ready to cut holes in my trailer sides for speakers since I have this current set-up. :hihi:

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:04 PM   #5

Speakers

I have thought the same thing. I was going to take pictures of my speakers and go to Best Buy or my local Audio store. I am sure you can do the same and simply swap the speakers.

I recently bought a Bose radio that can actually work without the power cord so it's perfect for camping. I am not sure if I will replace the interior speakers...
Old 03-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #6

The speakers in our trailer work just fine. I really like the outside speakers, now I can leave the outside player that we carry at home. We now have space for something else.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:16 AM   #7

My speaker sound good. My issue is a humming while I play the tv. I have read some earlier posts discussing this issue. I guess i will have to research this issue some more.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #8

We don't care for the sound quality with our stereo either... especially the outside speakers
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #9

I too apprciate great sound that my family room home theater provides for music and movies. The speakers in our TT provide sound, but nothing I would say I enjoy. I was thinking of getting some better car type speakers from Crutchfields for the TT system. I just don't kow if the $$ would be worth it considering the acoustic properties of a TT which is limited at best.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #10

When I ordered my Jayco, I asked them to dispense with the outside speakers, but they left them on. Unless I am camped all by myself away from people, they will never get used. I have never understood why some campers think it is ok to play their music and annoy others around them with it.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #11

I'm with Tom!
Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #12
Site Team

I don`t have outside speakers on mine and do not miss them. But I would like the radio inside to pick up some stations!
Old 03-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #13

Hey guys! I'm picking up my 314 BHDS next month and it does have the outside speakers. If I ever do actually use them it would be for my daughters "high school musical and Justin Bieber music". It will never be loud enough to annoy others. I do understand what Tom is saying as we have camped next to a younger crowd that BLASTED the outside speakers just about all weekend long. I would never intentionally annoy anyone, especially with the music she listens to!!
Old 07-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #14

I like good sound and TT sound is not good sound )), I would suggest to the mfgs that they provide the option of wiring being installed and then we could install our equipment. I've got an awesome Yamaha 7.2 dolby system at home and miss it when I'm out on the road.
mhenry5144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:27 AM   #15

I have a fairly powerful home stereo system tri-amped, with 900 watts, EQ crossover etc. basically a mobile DJ setup, hooked to 2 two way 10" cabs and 2 two way 12" cabs and a 15" powered sub. It would take alot of space and weight to replicate my choice of what "sounds decent"
The system in the TT is lacking, but, it is what it is. I just take my lap top or iPod loaded with music and "rough it."

2011 Jayco Jayflight 22FB
2004 Ford F-150 5.4 Triton, K&N FIPK, Magna-flow muffler
Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #16

I got rid of the tv hum issue by hooking up a mini 3.5 to the headphone out on side of tv and hooking up to AV Rear on sound unit. Works great.
chas111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #17

We love our 2011 28BHS, but when I heard the sound system (inside and out) for the first time, I just cringed. It was aweful I guess you could say I'm an audiophile and have Paradigms for my home theater, so that wasn't going to fly. I immediately checked out the speakers inside and took some quick measurements. They're just standard 6" car stereo speakers similar to the ones you'd install in a car door kick panel. I went over to Best Buy and checked out their selection figuring I could keep the cost under $100 and easily make the sound 10x better. I ended up with a nice pair of Sonys that sound great! That was part one.

Part two was to put my previous home theater receiver (a nice JVC RX-888) in the cubby above the Jensen and wire it to those speakers. It fit like a charm. I had to drill a hole from behind the Jensen up through the shelf to the cubby to run the speaker wires, but that was the hardest part. There's a sticker on the back of the Jensen that gives the wire colors and signal descriptions. From there it's just a matter of snipping the speaker wires to the Jensen and 3M Quick Connecting some extensions to reach up to the receiver. That was part two.

And for the third and final step, I wired up a sub to the receiver in the cabinet to the left of the Jensen. I happened to have a passive sub enclosure laying around that fit perfect. Had to drill a hole from behind the Jensen through to the cabinet to fish the wires through from the receiver, but the results were fantastic! The cabinet resonates perfect with the sub to provide nice bass without being too loud outside.

The whole mod has been a complete success. The audio in the camper sounds great now and has greatly enhanced our experience. Crabman, I replaced the antenna plug connecting to the Jensen with a standard 75 ohm coax connection and connected it to the receiver. The radio works great and I haven't had any reception issues.

PS - Probably the coolest part though came after I installed the Apple Airport Express, got it talking with our MiFi, and connected it via an optical cable to the receiver. AirPlay is in the house! Whoohoo! Now we can stream Pandora from our iPhones through the camper sound system! That is truely cool
Equalizer 12K
Forgvn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc616 View Post
My speaker sound good. My issue is a humming while I play the tv...
Learn the words and you won't have to hum while singing along to the TV(running and ducking).
Old 07-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
The whole mod has been a complete success. The audio in the camper sounds great now and has greatly enhanced our experience. Crabman, I replaced the antenna plug connecting to the Jensen with a standard 75 ohm coax connection and connected it to the receiver. The radio works great and I haven't had any reception issues.

So do you think the problem with my reception is with the Jensen receiver, the antenna connector or both? I can only pick up the closest of stations.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #20

I'm also a bit fussy about how my music sounds. The speakers in the living room area of the 330RLTS are all in the wrong place. I'm using my desktop computer at home to play my music through a Logitech 5.1 speaker system (cheaper than 2.0 Bose and sound much better) but it wouldn't be easy to set up a 5.1 in the 330RLTS because of the slides so I'll probably set up several 2.1 systems (two channels plus subwoofer/center channel). One set would be at the computer desk I'm going to put in, another set for listening from the couch, another set in the bedroom. I would turn on only the amp for the system. Or I might get ambitious and try to route the speaker wires to the slides and and put in 5.1.

I never listen to the radio anymore, even when traveling. Very few stations carry the kind of music I like and pretty much all of the have too much gumflapping anymore.

I also have no plans to use the outside speakers. I don't like it when people subject me to their music (or whatever you want to call it) so it wouldn't be fair for me to do so. If I want music outside, I'll get wireless headphones.