Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2016, 06:01 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
rkresge, just curious how your PDI went and if you had any issues to fix, minor or major?

I assume the Hemi handles it with ease. Wireman
PDI went quite well, with no issues found. However, I was not able to drill down to the depth of detail I would have liked, and I'm going to test some of the systems here in my driveway at this point. If anything turns up it will require a trip back to the dealer before we head out for our first time in late April or early May. The one issue we had noticed during the initial sales process - a storage drawer not mounted right - had been corrected by the dealer already.

My F-150 handled it with ease, and it surprised me by being MUCH easier to back it into my driveway/parking pad than it was with my previous smaller TT. My wife and are are trying to get used to this behemoth out there: It's about 8' longer, a foot wider, and 2' higher than our old SLX 165BH.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:14 AM   #42

rkresge, Misspoke on your TV. It's TxTwoSome who has the Hemi. Just noticed it. Wireman
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:34 AM   #43

We bought ours right from the dealer's lot. No TV but we want to add one for sure. No stickers or tags to indicate where the mount should be installed in the indented space for it but I would imagine the bracing is there? How big a TV could you go in that space?
All we can do right now is make plans until we see it again in spring.
Harreec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:39 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harreec View Post
We bought ours right from the dealer's lot. No TV but we want to add one for sure. No stickers or tags to indicate where the mount should be installed in the indented space for it but I would imagine the bracing is there? How big a TV could you go in that space?
All we can do right now is make plans until we see it again in spring.
I installed a 32" TV in mine with room to spare. Don't watch much TV while camping but I like to watch the news in the evenings.

I just used the stand that came with the TV and installed straps over the legs. It stays put with no problems.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:42 AM   #45

Quote:
rkresge, Misspoke on your TV. It's TxTwoSome who has the Hemi. Just noticed it. Wireman
Yep we have the Hemi it pulls just fine I defiantly notice the difference from our small 18QB StarCraft we had but it is much bigger.

But pulls nice and steady no problems.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Old 01-17-2016, 09:38 AM   #46

Hareec, I took measurements on a unit on the dealers lot. The opening is 32" wide, 23 1/4" tall and the diagonal is 39". Looking at various TV's, a 32" will fit which is a factory option, but a 40" will not fit.

It would protrude beyond the front edge of the opening. Might interfere with the slide. Couldn't really find anything in between. Wireman
Old 01-17-2016, 10:03 AM   #47

Thanks. That helps. Was actually looking at a 28" but didn't want to buy it because I wanted to get maximum out of the space and was unsure. Didn't realize the factory option was a 32"
Harreec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:16 AM   #48

Sorry to drag this post from 1 subject to another but my questions are about the 23RLSW. If I remember right in the bedroom there are 2, 110 volt outlets mounted in the base of the bed.

When I get my unit I was thinking of putting in a outlet at each base cabinet along side of the bed. For those of you who have the 23RLSW already, do you see any problem extending wiring off the existing outlets to this area.

Seems to me it would have been a better position for them originally. Or is there issues getting wire to there because of the storage area underneath? Wireman
Old 01-24-2016, 01:21 PM   #49

Quote:
Sorry to drag this post from 1 subject to another but my questions are about the 23RLSW. If I remember right in the bedroom there are 2, 110 volt outlets mounted in the base of the bed.

When I get my unit I was thinking of putting in a outlet at each base cabinet along side of the bed. For those of you who have the 23RLSW already, do you see any problem extending wiring off the existing outlets to this area.

Seems to me it would have been a better position for them originally. Or is there issues getting wire to there because of the storage area underneath? Wireman
Wireman, I took a pretty close look at that area and have a few thoughts, but unfortunately my nice new 23RLSW is snowed in following our 30" blizzard, so I can't investigate further. First, you're right, the outlets are on either side of the storage area under the bed. There is a piece of Luann mounted behind each one to protect the wiring. Second, it seems to if you put a an outlet on the base cabinet, won't that put it in the outside storage space? You would have to mount an 'work' box at the very least in order to protect the wiring.

I think it could be done, but it may not be a real good idea.

Roger

Old 01-25-2016, 08:36 AM   #50

rkresge. I think your right. It could be done but not necessarily worth the effort. I did go look at a unit at a dealer and you would have to go through the storage area to do this.

The wire would have to be in conduit and the outlet box protected. Just brain storming idea's to pass the time with. If your like me, anything I get with wheels I have to tinker with.

More food for thought. Why the heck did they make the storage door's so small in relation to the actual size of the storage area? It looks like they could have been at least another 6" higher and a few inches wider. Sure does limit the size of containers and ease of access. Thanks. Wireman
Old 01-25-2016, 08:42 AM   #51

Quote:
More food for thought. Why the heck did they make the storage door's so small in relation to the actual size of the storage area? It looks like they could have been at least another 6" higher and a few inches wider. Sure does limit the size of containers and ease of access. Thanks. Wireman
I remember thinking the same thing, but I have the bed of my pickup for larger items. We haven't gotten very far in planning for loading, but it seems likely that we'll put things like our under-awning rug, tools and hookup-related items in there, like hoses and leveling blocks. I was also thinking of one of those telescoping collapsible ladders.

Roger

Old 01-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #52

Well I have to agree with the storage door size they are just tall enough for a bag of Lynx blocks to fit in them.

But I did go buy some new plastic bins that were shorter but wider then what I had before and after using them and loading and unloading I actually like them better.

I think for storing items the wider bins are better then taller bins as items do not seem to hide as much. After loading the bins I just slide them in and then turn them sideways.

What I originally thought was a bummer actually turned out to be a non issue.

I still have all the same items I had in there before.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Old 01-25-2016, 04:58 PM   #53

TxTwoSome, I think your right about the shorter storage containers. Easier to handle and less stuff piled on top of itself.

It just would be easier access and easier to look in the storage area with a larger door.

I read thru some info & pics on the StarCraft Launch 24RLS which is basically the same floor plan, just a bit longer and they have a much larger storage door. It also has some standard features that would have been nice to have.

It's a couple feet longer and weighs more. The MSRP is probably more also. That's why I settled on the Jayco. It's been 4 weeks now & probably another 6 to go. Wireman
Old 01-25-2016, 05:11 PM   #54

Quote:
TxTwoSome, I think your right about the shorter storage containers. Easier to handle and less stuff piled on top of itself.

It just would be easier access and easier to look in the storage area with a larger door.

I read thru some info & pics on the StarCraft Launch 24RLS which is basically the same floor plan, just a bit longer and they have a much larger storage door. It also has some standard features that would have been nice to have.

It's a couple feet longer and weighs more. The MSRP is probably more also. That's why I settled on the Jayco. It's been 4 weeks now & probably another 6 to go. Wireman
Before I bought mine I also researched the StarCraft 24RLS and you are right the doors are larger on it.

After many trips to dealers and looking at all the little things.

I made a complete list of all the differences between the two and the Jayco had more in the plus column so that's why the Jayco for us.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Old 01-30-2016, 08:54 AM   #55

Coming back to camping after getting the kids out of the house. The 23RLSW checks a lot of boxes for us with one major exception being the awning. Has anyone ever inquired about getting a longer awning factory installed rather than the 13 foot model that is standard?

Also looking for opinions on best Jayco dealer in Indiana?

Thanks.
hoosierdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:06 AM   #56

That would be the best way if possible. It would avoid mounting holes from the smaller awning and trying to figure out how to patch them.

I'm not sure how flexible Jayco is on changing existing equipment on factory builds. I think the majority of us would like to make changes in some way. That would make all our rigs semi custom and I don't think they want the logistics hassle of doing that.

Maybe on something simple like that its possible. Good luck. Wireman
Old 02-06-2016, 09:14 PM   #57

Quote:

Took a look in the storage compartment today, and the wire to those AC outlets appears to run through the outside access storage compartment. Looks to me like it should be quite easy to add outlets where you want them, if you really want to do it. It would help to be a small person, however, due to the limited size of the access hatch on either side of the trailer.

I would recommend mounting the new outlets in a shallow work box in order to keep the project at least somewhat compliant with electrical code. Just sayin'...

Roger

Old 02-07-2016, 05:36 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
Took a look in the storage compartment today, and the wire to those AC outlets appears to run through the outside access storage compartment. Looks to me like it should be quite easy to add outlets where you want them, if you really want to do it. It would help to be a small person, however, due to the limited size of the access hatch on either side of the trailer.

I would recommend mounting the new outlets in a shallow work box in order to keep the project at least somewhat compliant with electrical code. Just sayin'...

Roger
My trailer is in storage I will not get it out till next trip first weekend of March.

I will look then and see what I think about the outlets and let you know.

Who knows I might have a good idea! (Stranger things have happened)
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Old 02-09-2016, 06:22 PM   #59

I looked at a dealer unit yesterday and the only wires I saw in the storage compartment were the 12 volt running light wires.

If I do it I will do it correctly. Wireman
Old 02-18-2016, 08:14 PM   #60

Quote:
I looked at a dealer unit yesterday and the only wires I saw in the storage compartment were the 12 volt running light wires.

If I do it I will do it correctly. Wireman
Hmmm... Happened to look in my outside storage compartment today, and saw 110 AC wire - almost certainly 14/2 w/ground - running from the passenger side down into the storage compartment, across to a hole near the center that would feed the outlets located under the bed. Didn't take a picture. Looks like that would make it really simple to put outlets in the base cabinets, if yours is the same as mine.

Roger