Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayleightucker View Post
I also always hook up alone and I also use a small piece of masking tape on he inside center of the tailgate and I line up with the center of the tt. It usually takes me 2 or 3 in and outs to get it but it only takes a couple of minutes. happy camping!
x2. Also - an easy way to back up a short distance is using your foot as a measure. Check the distance between the ball and the hitch. Then rest your foot on the ground outside the drivers door as you back up. Touch your toe to the ground and as you slowly backup let your foot touch the ground to your heel. Do as many feet as you measured. Learned this long ago on the farm.

2016 Jayco x213
2012 Toyota Tundra
Mainenebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #22

Back-up camera works great, it comes with the navigation system on the Tundra.
Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:00 AM   #23

hitchin sticks never looked back.. used to argue with wifey over hitchin up now I do it all by myself and dont get in anymore arguements.
rheyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
Can purchase at Wal-mart for $19.00
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #25

I use a version of the "hitchin' sticks" .. paid less that $20.00 and they're great (imho). I hitch-up 100% solo (although sometimes I pretend to take direction from my DW, hehe).

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #26

I do better backing up myself to the TT than I do with a spotter. Once I got hooked up the first time I looked in my side view mirrors and saw how the TT was centered. I store my TT in my drivway in back of my TV. Now everytime I use the TV for non towing reasons I practice backing up while keeping my TT centered in the side view mirrors. This constant practice has really helped.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #27

Hitching sticks. Tennis balls on extend sticks. Aim by looking down the middle. I lift center storage and line myselfup first. Missed once all year. The Mrs. still thinks she gives the best directions. I thank her every time.
rwstinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc616 View Post
I do better backing up myself to the TT than I do with a spotter. Once I got hooked up the first time I looked in my side view mirrors and saw how the TT was centered. I store my TT in my drivway in back of my TV. Now everytime I use the TV for non towing reasons I practice backing up while keeping my TT centered in the side view mirrors. This constant practice has really helped.
I do the same. Always easier solo than with the wife helping. I just centre my truck between the front clearance lights and I know I'm straight.
greenenvy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #29

Another vote for a rearview camera (Peak license plate mounted camera with 3.5" display $80).

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #30

This is my first year with an RV so still getting the hang of a lot of things, but I actually got the knack of this pretty quick and without any tools. I keep the propane cover over the tanks and use the center of it lined up with the middle of the brake light to get centered. I usually put something on the ground at the point where I approximate that I'll need to be, leave my door open, and get out when I get near. I can usually get it lined up within 1-2 tries, no more than 5 minutes from start to finish. Took me double that with my wife helping
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #31

Now i have a bigger trailer and a truck so I have to find a different way to solo hook up. The tape idea sounds good but I have a cover on my truck bed so I have to think of something else. Where did that guy get the $80.00 back up camera?

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #32

DW lines up the Leer emblem with our TT's verticle crease in its center front and comes within 4 - 6 inches, then I'll stop her with the clenched fist sign and drop the coupler. We don't even use the 2-ways we thought would help. No sound necessary. She drove professionally for 35 years. She really knows where her cars and trucks are!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #33

X2 – Mainenbula on the foot trick.

I initially back up with my head twisted over my right shoulder and line my sight up with what I estimate is the center of the tailgate. I back up to what I think is about three feet from the tung. I get out and look and decide how much I need to shift from side to side. Then I leave the drive’s door open until I am in the correct position and never look at my mirrors. I use my foot to estimate when I am a foot from the hitch while turning the wheel to compensate for how much I need to shift over. I get out again and decide how much I need to shift from side to side and how far I have to go. Jump back in and use my foot to estimate my distance. If I do it right, I am right on. If not, I usually just need to back up another inch or so. I have NEVER had to pull forwards and try again.

Now my DW told me about how my brother and sister in-law backed up last weekend while we were camping together. He backed up she would only tell him to keep coming back and then tell him to stop. Then she would tell him to move forwards because he was 6” to far over. They did this over and over. What I thought was funny is they have a light popup, which you only need to be “close” and push the trailer onto the ball.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #34

I use the ropes from my kayaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
Now i have a bigger trailer and a truck so I have to find a different way to solo hook up. The tape idea sounds good but I have a cover on my truck bed so I have to think of something else. Where did that guy get the $80.00 back up camera?
they are hanging down anyways and normally don't secure them till the
trailer is hooked up. I centre one on the ropes on my tonneau cover, and line
it up with the small piece of tape on the propane cover. Once I'm hooked up
I finish tying on the kayaks. Nothing left on cover. Takes me less than 2 minutes
this way.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #35

I use the magnetic sticks and they work fine. I can back up until the one on the trailer falls then I know I am far enough back.
knuts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #36

I bought a $75 DOLLAR backup camera on ebay that I like really well. My gps system has a video input so I run the backup camera into the gps system. Worth every bit of the money. You can buy a cheap round mirror on the end of a magnet on a short pole and put it on the trailer tongue. I used one of those for years but would not trade my backup camera in for nothing.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #37

This is what I do and it is the tryed and true method of 99% of all campers across the entire world.....................
get out, get in and move...get out, get in and move....get out, get in and move....get out, get in and move....get out, get in and move....get out, get in and move.....get out, get in and move....get out, get in and move.....get out, get in and move....get out, get in and move.....get out, get in and move.....cuss....get out, get in and move.....get out, get in and move....get out, get in and move....get out, get in and move...get out, get in and move....get out, get in and move...get out, get in and move...cuss...get out, get in and move....get out, get in and move.....get out, get in and move....get out, get in and move...cuss some more....get out, get in and move....get out, get in and move....get out, get in and move....get out, get in and move....get out, get in and move....get out, get in and move....get out, get in and move....get out, get in and move...Blame DW.......get out, get in and move......get out, get in and move.....get out, get in and move....get out, get in and move.....get out, get in and move...cuss more yet.....get out, get in and move......get out, get in and move........get out, get in and move.....get out, get in and move....
Old 08-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #38

I used to use a mirror on the end of a magnetic pole. Worked ok. However, I picked up an inexpensive backup camera for $75 on ebay that had an audio feed that I hooked in to my gps system. Works great and I would not trade it for anything.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #39

I got sick of getting in and out of the car, pulling up, and back, etc. Back up camera works great. Worth every penny. I also use the back up camera when I am alone backing up the camper. I ran 12V out to the bumper of the camper and just plug it in.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #40

When I'm alone, I just eye it up by centering the the tailgate with the center of the TT as best as I can. It usually takes a combined total of 5-6 forwards/reverses/jumping in and out of the cab to get it lined up enough to connect. I don't really think I'll ever get to the point of acing it every time (I have my good days and bad days), but it will probably never take any more than 10 minutes to connect.
Honda EU2000i Generator
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote