Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-07-2015, 12:19 PM   #1

Anyone have a Jay Flight SLX 264BWH?

I am looking at buying a 2015 Jay Flight SLX 264BWH. I was wondering if anyone had one.

If so, what do you like/dislike about it? Has is it held up to travel and camping?

If you passed this model up why and for what other model/brand?
mdgreco191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:01 PM   #2

The 264BHW is the same floor plan as the 26BH, just the econo version of it. It's the most popular floorplan in the Jay Flight line. It offers all the amenities, lots of sleeping, and keeps weight down as to be towable by lighter duty vehicles (a full size SUV at minimum). It's nothing fancy, but still built well. If you don't mind the smaller fresh water tank capacity, the smaller fridge, and the basic lighting/shelving/faucets/etc then it's all you'll ever need. No slide to worry about either, which can be a good and bad thing. Most people that pass this model up are ones that are after a slide and a more open floorplan inside instead of a bunk house.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:02 PM   #3

We purchased one in August 2014 and are very pleased with it. The lower dry weight (around 4400 pounds) allows towing with an SUV (in our case, a Chevy Trailblazer). We have slept four comfortably in the camper and could have easily added a couple more.
Admittedly it's not the roomiest camper, and if weather forces us to stay inside it's a bit crowded. It also has a bit less cabinet/closet space than the models with slides. However, when we were shopping we looked at a lot of used campers, and saw that a disturbingly high number of hybrids and campers with slides had water damage, even though only a few years old. So for all these reasons, the SLX 264 BHW is the right camper for us.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:28 PM   #4

Thanks SkyBound and dphoward62. I really appreciate the info.

We really didn't want a slide because of the added weight, possible leakage, and mechanical issues. I know slides are popular, but just not our cup of tea.

Anyone else have feedback on this model?
mdgreco191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:02 AM   #5

We have a 2013 Jay Flight 26BH and love it. We have camped in it over 100 nights and have not had a single issue. We have had up to 7 people in ours at one time (4 kids 3 adults) and slept comfortable. We have more than enough storage space for my family of 4. We have camped in weather from 20 to 90 degrees, from sunny to snowing and have enjoyed ever minute of it. I think it is a great floor plan. As others have stated I did not want the added cost, weight or maintenance of a slide. It didn't hurt that it was also in our budgeted price range. Good luck with your decision!
Old 01-10-2015, 07:10 AM   #6

We have a 2014 Swift 264BH and absolutely love it. Our trips from the Houston area include the Smoky mountains, the Dakotas, Colorado, and several Texas RV spots. No problems at all! We have decided to sell it and get something a little larger because we need a little more space. It seems that we always have kids and grand kids tagging along, and it gets a bit crowded. I'm not complaining, we love having them with us. If you're interested in it, check out my listing in the classified section or drop me a line.
Good luck!

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:05 AM   #7

My wife and I are considering the Jay Flight SLX 264BHW and comparing it to the Jay Flight 23MB. We think it would be nicer not to have to deal with the murphy bed, but coming from popup land I'm not sure about pulling a 29' trailer.

The 264MHW and 23MB are similar in weight: both have GVWR=6500 lb. Does the extra 3' on the 264BHW make that much of a difference in towing. I have a Ram1500 V8/8Spd/3.21 and max towing = ~8k with 3 people.
NC_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Camper View Post
My wife and I are considering the Jay Flight SLX 264BHW and comparing it to the Jay Flight 23MB. We think it would be nicer not to have to deal with the murphy bed, but coming from popup land I'm not sure about pulling a 29' trailer.

The 264MHW and 23MB are similar in weight: both have GVWR=6500 lb. Does the extra 3' on the 264BHW make that much of a difference in towing. I have a Ram1500 V8/8Spd/3.21 and max towing = ~8k with 3 people.
You've asked several questions. The only one that I have experience with is the difference when towing a 3' longer trailer. Going to either trailer from a short popup will be a big change for you. You'll quickly get used to towing either trailer down the road, but maneuvering around corners, backing, etc., is where the 3' will make a difference.

And, if you liked camping with the popup in National Forests etc., 29' will be near the 30' maximum allowed in some of them. Negotiating corners etc. in those areas may present a problem.

Of course with either trailer, you'll need to be sure your TV is sufficient with both an adequate WDH with sway control and tires.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:12 AM   #9

Thanks oldmanAZ, this is good input. I also didn't think about the max length offered at certain campsites.

I definitely plan to get a WDH with sway control. My truck has the integrated brake controller and tow mode, but what did you mean about adequate tires? I thought the std tires on my Ram1500 would work.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks oldmanAZ, this is good input. I also didn't think about the max length offered at certain campsites.

I definitely plan to get a WDH with sway control. My truck has the integrated brake controller and tow mode, but what did you mean about adequate tires? I thought the std tires on my Ram1500 would work.
There was a recent post (I don't have time to check right at this moment, but search for my username on JOF) where sway was a problem. By going to a higher load range tire and adding another sway control, the sway problem was gone for the JOF member. Lots of folks overlook sidewall flex as part of the sway issue. At a minimum, trailer and rear vehicle tires should inflated to the maximum - at lease initially.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
Old 01-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #11

Thanks again oldmanAZ. That was a good read, and I didn't think about my RAM suspension either. I'm thinking the JF 23MB maybe might be my max option.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:22 PM   #12

have posted in a similar thread in regards to this model vs. 26bh with differacnes

I have recently considered purchasing this model but ended up getting the 26bh and wrote a detailed post about it in this thread . http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24309 I posted a long response in this thread its worth looking it up and reading, I put a lot of deatails in it that I think will help you.

If you think the price on the 264bhw is right the 26bh is still a contender, although the 26bh cost more I printed a quote for the 26bh from rv direct and got a local dealer to price match rv direct. I ended up negotiating the 26bh with the thermal package uprgrade, bigger ac, and roof ladder for the same price they initially wanted for the 264bhw.
no matter what one you decide on get price quotes from several dealers including rv direct and use those to you advantage!!!! if you have any other questions feel free to ask me I spent many hours researching the two!!!
jkochmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkochmit1 View Post
I have recently considered purchasing this model but ended up getting the 26bh and wrote a detailed post about it in this thread . http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24309 I posted a long response in this thread its worth looking it up and reading, I put a lot of deatails in it that I think will help you.
Thanks jkochmit1, I did see your review 26MB before I joined. It really helped highlight the main details between the JF and JF SLX. I'm actually thinking 29' is too much to handle coming from popup land. We like to camp in state parks and I'd have to pay more storage fees, so I'm looking at something shorter.

I'm leaning towards the JF 23MB, 23MBH or Rockwood mini-lite 2504s now. My local dealer had all three to compare side by side. My wife would prefer the extra area of the slide out, but the JF 23 MBH was over a foot longer, heavier, and had less storage then the Rockwood.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #14

I hope im not in over my head with the length difference !!! I also upgraded from a popup and hope the adjustment is smooth I will try to pick up at a off hour to avoid traffic when I take mine home!
Old 01-25-2015, 06:41 PM   #15

I went from a Baja pop-up to a 29 trailer, actually 33'. There is a BIG difference in pulling the different trailers, but you learn quickly. Assuming your vehicle can handle the larger trailer I wouldn't let the length be a limiting factor as far as towing, storing or clearance maybe. Now I have a FW with another learning curve.
.......Roof Satellite Dish, Vent Covers, Bedroom Vent Fan,
.......Rear Reciever, 12V DC Outlets (6), 320W Solar & Controller,
.......4 Lifeline AGM Batteries (600 Ah @ 12V),
.......Stereo Upgraded, Interior Speaker Upgrade, Amp
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:18 PM   #16

Jayco SLX 264BHW

We just purchased a 2015 264BHW , and so far we love it. Everyone who has toured it has raved about it. I'm towing it with my 2002 Olds Bravada, a midsize SUV for now. I did lots of homework on towing limits for my vehicle, and we're just on the outside of what I'd want to tow with it, with margins built in. But we towed it 4 hours home from dealer, went into city to show it to my sister, and I even backed it into my driveway in the dark, all without mishap. So far, so good.
tdk2765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Thanks jkochmit1, I did see your review 26MB before I joined. It really helped highlight the main details between the JF and JF SLX. I'm actually thinking 29' is too much to handle coming from popup land. We like to camp in state parks and I'd have to pay more storage fees, so I'm looking at something shorter.

I'm leaning towards the JF 23MB, 23MBH or Rockwood mini-lite 2504s now. My local dealer had all three to compare side by side. My wife would prefer the extra area of the slide out, but the JF 23 MBH was over a foot longer, heavier, and had less storage then the Rockwood.

We looked at the 264bhw but felt that 29' was just too long for our driveway.

If you don't need the bunks the 23RB was a happy median for us.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdk2765 View Post
We just purchased a 2015 264BHW , and so far we love it. Everyone who has toured it has raved about it. I'm towing it with my 2002 Olds Bravada, a midsize SUV for now. I did lots of homework on towing limits for my vehicle, and we're just on the outside of what I'd want to tow with it, with margins built in. But we towed it 4 hours home from dealer, went into city to show it to my sister, and I even backed it into my driveway in the dark, all without mishap. So far, so good.
Congratulations on your new trailer, a successful (mishap-free ) first trip with it, and welcome to the forum.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:17 AM   #19

congrats on the purchase!!!!! just got a call today from the finance company they were offering to sell me insurance....I hope this is a hint I will be taking delivery soon!!!
Old 10-04-2016, 10:10 AM   #20

Getting into upper bunk

I spent a fair amount of time looking at floor plans and decided on the 264BHW. I took delivery last week and found it has even more features that I like, such as an outdoor shower. I did expect a ladder or something to get into the top bunk and it didn't come with one. I would be interested and grateful to hear how others with this model get into the top bunk. Build a ladder? Use a step stool? Thanks.
Mike
mmuratet is offline   Reply With Quote