Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2015, 09:57 AM   #1

Anyone purchased from RV Direct?

I'm looking at a Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS. I've looked at one at our local dealership, and received their best price. I've also received a quote from RV Direct on the exact same unit that is $2720 lower that my local dealership. I would have to drive to Des Moines, IA to pick it up (693 miles), but this trip could be used as a waypoint on our way to Montana to see my family this July.

Here are my questions to ponder:

1. Is RV Direct a reputable dealer? What has been others buying experience?

2. Is it worth paying $2720 more to buy locally? What are the benefits of buying locally? (The salesman tells me I get service priority over non-locals)

3. Is it worth adding 400 miles to my July trip to detour through Iowa to pick it up? (1450 miles pulling the RV from home to Montana VS 693 miles in an empty pickup to Iowa, then 1166 miles to Montana pulling RV)

4. Will my 2013 Chevy 1500 Crew Cab (9600 lb towing, 1435 payload) be a sufficient TV for this TT (6100 lbs UVW, 7750 GVWR, 675 tongue)?

5. What kind of fuel mileage will I get in my TV when pulling this RV?

Thanks in advance for your experience and advice!
sully585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:21 AM   #2

Anyone purchased from RV Direct?

I have not but I will price them before I buy another trailer. My sister in law who lives in va did buy a trailer from rvdirect in jan. They had a trip planned to fl and picked it up at a fl rvdirect dealer and used it for a week at Disney. Then they took it home to va. They saved a bit over the local dealer. And they had a great experience.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:29 AM   #3

1. Last fall I was on RV Direct's website and built a quote for a trailer that we really liked. I took the quote to a local Jayco dealer and he matched the price right to the penny. It was ordered from the factory and we had it in about 6 weeks. If you take this route that will eliminate your questions 2 & 3.

4. Your 2013 Chevy 1500 Crew Cab should be ok for the trailer as long as you get a good weight distributing hitch.

5. 8-10 mpg. That's what most people get regardless of truck/trailer gasser combo.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:35 AM   #4

I just purchased my second Jayco trailer from them. Will hopefully be picking it up this month. I bought my Pop Up in 2013 from them. Saved 7k over MSRP and 3k over best local dealer price. I had a great PDI from the people at the Des Moines location. It was set up, and plugged in when I arrived. By this time I had gone through the manual like 5 times waiting for the pick up date that I was probably more knowledgeable than the guy doing the PDI. He was very nice and went through everything. If I remember correctly, they schedule 2, 2 and half hours per PDI, so they want you to be comfortable with your purchase. They were good people there at Des Moines from what I remember and it was a nice drive from here in central Colorado. I like road trips so...

Edit to add: On my 2013 Pop-Up, it was roughly $19k MSRP, Local Jayco dealer first quoted me $18.5k. I said they would have to do better than that and by quite a bit. Next quote was $15.5K. I told them they would still have to do better. They said that was the best they could do. RV Direct was at $12.3k so it was very worth it for me to travel to Des Moines. No Price Match here in Colorado.
jaycojls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:53 AM   #5

The RVdirect quote on my RV was around $600 more than what I paid locally. However, on another model I was considering they were over $2000 less.

Factor in your costs to drive to and tow home to determine where you stand in regard to the savings they offer over your local dealer. Weigh the options and it will come apparent when looking at the numbers if that is something you want to get into or not.

Your tow vehicle will be fine as mentioned already with a WDH installed.

I find it is best to not look at your gas mileage. The "blind eye" works best here.
2006 Forest River Salem Hybrid *sold*
thebuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully585 View Post
I'm looking at a Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS. I've looked at one at our local dealership, and received their best price. I've also received a quote from RV Direct on the exact same unit that is $2720 lower that my local dealership. I would have to drive to Des Moines, IA to pick it up (693 miles), but this trip could be used as a waypoint on our way to Montana to see my family this July.

Here are my questions to ponder:

1. Is RV Direct a reputable dealer? What has been others buying experience?

2. Is it worth paying $2720 more to buy locally? What are the benefits of buying locally? (The salesman tells me I get service priority over non-locals)

3. Is it worth adding 400 miles to my July trip to detour through Iowa to pick it up? (1450 miles pulling the RV from home to Montana VS 693 miles in an empty pickup to Iowa, then 1166 miles to Montana pulling RV)

4. Will my 2013 Chevy 1500 Crew Cab (9600 lb towing, 1435 payload) be a sufficient TV for this TT (6100 lbs UVW, 7750 GVWR, 675 tongue)?

Thanks in advance for your experience and advice!
Welcome to the forum. Here's my $0.02 on some of your questions:

#2) Your local dealer has to pay about $1/mi to have it delivered to him. That's my guess. I have no knowledge of what the actual amount is. Service after the sale is an issue. It seems you will get a lower priority if you want service at a dealer you didn't buy from - unless you are on a trip away from home.

#3) Not sure I follow the mileages. I'd estimate your fuel cost by the round trip miles from your home to the pick up location; 1/2 not towing and 1/2 half towing. You'd need to add in meals and overnight stays, if that applies. Also, it is usually a good idea to stay near the pickup dealer for a night or two to see if questions/issues come up that you didn't learn about in the PDI.

#4) You are going to be VERY close. You need to consider the weight of the people and gear in the truck. There are others in this site with much more experience in this area.

#5) Gasers up to around 7mpg; diesels around 10mpg

Local dealers are often willing to negotiate adding in extras (such as a weight distributing hitch, slide toppers, etc.) at no charge or significantly reduced.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post

#3) Not sure I follow the mileages. I'd estimate your fuel cost by the round trip miles from your home to the pick up location; 1/2 not towing and 1/2 half towing. You'd need to add in meals and overnight stays, if that applies. Also, it is usually a good idea to stay near the pickup dealer for a night or two to see if questions/issues come up that you didn't learn about in the PDI.

Local dealers are often willing to negotiate adding in extras (such as a weight distributing hitch, slide toppers, etc.) at no charge or significantly reduced.
as far as mileage goes, we are planning on taking a trip to Montana in July. the mileage from my home in Texas to Montana is 1450. if we bought locally, we would be towing the TT the entire way. if we decide to buy from RV Direct, we will just take delivery as part of our July trip, and we will have to drive my truck (with no TT, obviously) to Des Moines, IA, which is 693 miles from here, to get the TT. after we take delivery, we will then drive 1166 miles from Des Moines IA to Montana. so i will have to drive an extra 400 miles out of my way to pick up the TT, but will save a little bit of $$ in fuel expenses since i won't be pulling the TT.

the last part of your post made me realize that my local dealers final price INCLUDES them installing a WD hitch and brake controller on my Chevy. i'm sure the RV Direct quote does not include any kind of hitch or brake controller. so my true savings is around $2000. thanks for pointing that out!
Old 03-10-2015, 12:16 PM   #8

Welcome. I have done both and last purchase was the local dealer. I fought hard, but wanted the express service and leverage of buying local. I paid a little more, but not enough to warrant my going 800 miles round trip. Just about a wash.

You will get bumped in line when it comes to service and the dealer is within his rights. He could refuse you too, not common but could happen. You might be the lucky one who nevers sees the dealer after the purchase, but odds are you will need a little something during your ownership.

Have you tried to bring in the RV Direct quote to the local dealer and show them the offer? You can probably get them down a little more on the pricing. Another potential problem could arrise with timing of your trip. What happens if something comes up on the PDI that is not to your liking. You're either waiting for it to be resolved or going home without your unit. Sure if minor enough you might deal with it, but it could happen.

Timing can be an issue to with scheduling pick up and if you have hard dates for your trip then you could miss the window and savings. Just something to consider.

Murphy's law!

Also RV Direct requires 100% financing before it leaves the plant. That's savings to them since they are not borrowing to bridge the gap between plant and dealer.

Try pressuring the local guy and go from there.

On the TV side I think your pushing it a little with that from a comfort side. Make sure you get a good WDH setup and spend on that, especially for the long hauls. There is a lot of knowledge on this site that will guide you in the right direction. Also the brake controller should be a P2 or P3 to get the best braking action IMHO.

Some shops just give you the bare minimum pulse units in the package so do some homework there. Easy enough to do yourself and save $ as it's plug and play with a vehicle specific harness.

Good luck.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:33 PM   #9

If it was me, and what I did for my first TT purchase, was use RV direct quite to narrow the gap between them and the local dealer. Still did not get a match but they did improve so I bought local. If I recall RV direct would have been about a $1k better after including my cost to pick it up, and for that I wanted a local relationship and I didn't want to mess with registration and tax concerns back in CA with the DMV.

The second unit I bought private party used so it wasn't a consideration.

By the way, the break controller is a very easy DIY project. Lots of how to videos and you definitely be able to get the controller lower on your own vs the dealer MSRP.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #10

Hey Sully,
We bought our 1st TT (X23B) from RVD and had no issues. We picked up at their Orlando location, spent the first night local and then hit the road towards home. We enjoyed the trip and made a mini-vacation out of it. I did not have the "warm fuzzies" from the local dealer so started looking elsewhere and wound up at the RVD site (thanks JOF). Our pick-up experience was drama free and the TT proved itself super reliable with only 1 "warranty level" event (radio failed). I contacted Jayco directly, they sent me the radio, I installed and shipped the old one back (they paid shipping both ways).
Did I get a good price? I think I did. Our 2nd trailer (5th) was purchased at a dealer about 250 mi away. It's in their service as I type waiting on a front cap repaint. So far I've no complaints.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:04 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

I ordered my Eagle 284BHBE and picked it up in Albany, NY, last year. The local dealers prices were significantly more than a $2750 price increase and the local dealers were clueless and the local Jayco dealer (only one for Eastern Ont.) telling me that that the Eagle 28 BHBE did not exist and there were no Eagle tow trailers to even have a look at. Given that I was going to have to purchase a trailer without seeing it regardless of whether I purchased online or from a local dealer made the decision to purchase online easier. I found RV Direct great to deal with and our saleswoman Debbie was very knowledgeable about Jayco products and the trailer came in exactly as ordered and they supplied a 30 day travel permit as well as all the paperwork necessary to bring the trailer across the US/Canada Border.

With the trailer VIN # I was able to phone my insurer and arrange insurance. We booked a nearby campground the weekend we picked it up and if anything major had been wrong we would have left it there for any necessary repairs and returned a week later. Jayco quality, fit and finish were excellent and they spent about 1.5 hours doing the trailer demonstration to show us the ins and outs of the new trailer. Once we got home, we had to pay our provincial salestax and take it for an inspection which was completed in 30 minutes to get our provincial license plates for the trailer.

The only hiccup we had was that I decided on a Propride Hitch (Similar to Hensley Arrow) and despite assuring me repeatedly that they would be able to install the hitch, they were unable to install it properly and I had to re-do it myself. All in all, the experience was very good aside from the hitch installation. There are definitely benefits to a very good local dealer and I would be willing to pay a 10 to 15% premium for piece of mind but I was not willing to pay a 50 to 60% premium to buy from the local Jayco dealer(s). I accepted that if something seriously went wrong with the trailer during the first two years under warranty, I might have to haul it 300 miles back to the dealership in Albany as I do not know how supportive the local dealership would be if there was a warranty dispute.

As to payload, that will be an issue you will have to examine closely. One disadvantage to ordering is you are going by the catalogue weight. For example, my 284 BHBE was listed as 6600 lbs dry with a 630 lbs tongue weight (9250 lbs GVWR). When delivered, it had a weight of 7300 lbs dry (due to added bikerack, upgraded countertops, fold out couch, gel coat sides etc.). With both propane tanks and the battery, I am about 950 to 1000 lbs dry (which accords with 13-15% tongue wt). Loaded for camping with no water, we have 750 to 1000 lbs of cargo depending on whether we bring bikes etc., which is less than half the cargo capacity of the 284BHBE and adds another 100 to 150 lbs tongue weight for a total of about 1150 lbs. My F150 with Maxtow package has a payload of 1650 lbs which after deduction of my tongue weight of 1150 lbs, I am left with 500 lbs of payload.

From this I deduct my 50 lbs over the average driver of 150 lbs (trying to remember the last time I saw a 150lb driver in a pickup with a camper behind it), my wife at 110lbs, kid and dog 100lbs and 70lbs and 120 lbs for my hitch brings me to 450 lbs out of the 500lb payload. Without the F150 Max Tow package the F150 has similar payload to the Chevy and I would be about 200 lbs over payload with these items. I am closer on payload than I would like and I am currently looking at upgrading to a new F150 with a HD Payload package which is supposed to provide 3300 lbs of payload. Everybody’s needs and loading habits are different, but this should give you an idea of average or typical loads.

Towing mileage is really variable depending on terrain, wind and speed. I currently get between 9 and 12 mpg with a 5.4 gas and 3.73 rear-end. 65 mph does not get me anywhere faster than 55 mph because usually any time saved is spent in extra time at the pumps and 5 mph really does make a significant difference when towing. Gas saved going down the mountain does not nearly make up for the extra gas burned going up the mountain. With wind, think of carrying a 25 lb sheet of plywood and then walk with it broadside into the wind; that is kind of what you are pulling behind the truck. Somedays the wind is at your back which will slightly increase your mileage but it never makes up in mileage for those days with a headwind. Weight is also a factor but a 1000 lbs more or less is not going to be as significant as the other three factors.

If you have additional questions about RV direct, do not hesitate to PM me.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:52 PM   #12

Quote:
as far as mileage goes, we are planning on taking a trip to Montana in July. the mileage from my home in Texas to Montana is 1450. if we bought locally, we would be towing the TT the entire way. if we decide to buy from RV Direct, we will just take delivery as part of our July trip, and we will have to drive my truck (with no TT, obviously) to Des Moines, IA, which is 693 miles from here, to get the TT. after we take delivery, we will then drive 1166 miles from Des Moines IA to Montana. so i will have to drive an extra 400 miles out of my way to pick up the TT, but will save a little bit of $$ in fuel expenses since i won't be pulling the TT. ...snip...
My original post was getting long so I cut it short...
Like you, my DW and I went through similar contortions for our trailer (on order) and traveling 1,800 miles (one way) to pick it up in Middlebury. We have to be near Middlebury sometime this summer anyway so we thought about combining the two trips. We eventually nixed that idea because
1) what if there were problems with the trailer and we COULDN'T take when we planned and
2) having to plan very well and load EVERYTHING in the truck for weeks of camping. It's our first travel trailer and came to the realization we didn't know enough to be exacting enough. We would likely have stuff we couldn't put in the trailer or stuff we left behind that we need and then need to buy. It seemed the added fuel cost wasn't enough to risk it.

So someday soon I'll be driving to Middlebury and bringing our trailer back to AZ. Then we'll have lots of time to pack what we need in places we KNOW it will fit.

There's no right way to do it, just what works.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:11 PM   #13

Quote:
As stated, 8-10 for the most part. Keep your speed down and it saves gas. Most of find that the "sweet spot" is somewhere between 60-65 mph. I generally run about 62/63. Get to know how it handles, take notes on the mileage you get and average it out over a typical trip. Then monitor the mileage every now and again, not because you want to brag (or cry), but because a drop in mileage can mean there is a problem with something.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #14

wow, y'all rock! thanks for all the great advice. i've pretty much made up my mind that i will go ahead and spend the extra $$ to buy it local. our local dealership (Patterson RV) has a great reputation, i have several friends who have bought there and have nothing but good things to say.

several of you made good points, especially since i was planning on incorporating delivery of the unit into a pre-planned vacation that has hard dates. if something were to go wrong with delivery, we'd be stuck.

i think i will take the RV Direct quote into my local dealer and see if i can get another $1000 off. can't hurt to ask, right?
Old 03-10-2015, 03:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
#5) Gasers up to around 7mpg; diesels around 10mpg
Holy cow, I'm glad I don't have that gas engine truck! I get about 10 mpg and tow at about 65 mph. Up mountains is a couple worse, down mountains is a couple better.

I got a price quote from RV Direct and my local dealer came within a couple hundred dollars of that price. I figured the price of gas to drive there and back (Albany, NY) was more than the difference so I bought local. I'd suggest you take your quote to your local dealer(s) and see if they are negotiable. Now... if the price difference includes shipping from Jayco versus you picking it up, you aren't going to be able to make that cost go away.

Your truck should be able to handle those weights, but you need to provide more info to make an educated answer. You have 1400 +/- payload, but we don't know how much your family weights. Your dry tongue weight is very low. With options and packed for travel it will be closer to 800 lbs. That leaves 600 lbs +/- for your family and gear in the truck. That would be perfectly fine for MY family, but if you have 3 teenage boys that weight 200 lbs each, you are going to have much higher weights than me.

The local dealer might put you to the back of the line for service if you buy elsewhere, but Jayco can send you to an independent repair shop that will be happy to take Jayco's money to repair your rig.

It would be nice to save $2500 and by from RVDirect, but I wouldn't fret too much about it. If you like the camper and are having fun, you won't really care about that $2500 price difference...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:42 PM   #16

And when considering RV-Direct, don't forget to check purchasing your RV through Costco or Sam's Club. We went the Costco route and ended-up purchasing our Jayco via the Jayco Dealership ... the best of both worlds, happy with price and got dealership loyalty!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:59 PM   #17
Site Team

Sully585

What is your TV's gear ratio?

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Sully585

What is your TV's gear ratio?

Don
3.42 ratio
9600 lb towing capacity
1435 payload
Old 03-11-2015, 11:17 AM   #19

My dealer matched RV direct also but other dealers wouldn't come close. Plus it's going to a seasonal spot so my dealer will come out 3 times for warranty work. I think I got a great deal!
fourshermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #20

I have a similar pairing

I tow a 26BHS with a very similar truck. I couldn't find my truck's payload capacity on the door sticker, but the glossy brochure that the dealer had described it as 1,634 lb. Its a 2013 GMC Sierra, Crew Cab, 3.42 rear end , 5.3 L, 2 wheel drive, with "HD Trailering Equipment Package". I use an Anderson WD hitch, but can't tune it to lift the back of the truck. I guess that it is shifting some weight - scales would tell. The truck and trailer are almost level with no water on board. It feels OK while towing except sometimes there is a surging sensation. I tow in flat areas. I bought the trailer via RV Direct from their Orlando supplier and it worked out fine. The only issue was that it took about 2 months to get it.
SailandPaddle is offline   Reply With Quote