Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2011, 07:03 AM   #41

Any idea if the handling will be different? She seems to ride pretty good right now, so I would be very pleased if the trailer handles BETTER after upgrading.
TexasA&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:09 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasA&M View Post
I will be ordering the necessary components to upgrade to 1,500lbs WDH before our next trip. Did you bold the brackets to the frame, or are you just using the locator bolt?

I'm looking forward to the upgrade and will be interested to see if the ride is any different.
I am just using the locator bolt. I never towed the unit loaded with the 1,200 lb hitch as the clamps failed by the time I got it home. However there seems to be much less bounce with the 1,500 lb hitch. I don’t see much difference with sway. FYI, I am towing with a Dodge 2500 standard cab. Hope this helps.
hausknwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:35 AM   #43

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the 1,200 lb WDH had round bars and the 1,500 lb WDH is a flat bar type. Not sure if this makes any difference or not? Both hitches were manufactured by Reese.
hausknwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasA&M View Post
Any idea if the handling will be different?.....snip
If you are in fact over 1,200lbs on your loaded tongue weight, and depending on your TV's suspension, you may notice one or more enhancements.

The most notable would be that the 1,500lb spring bars will be better able to 'maintain' weight distribution by controlling vertical motion between the TV and TT (less bounce, etc.). Under rated WDH spring bars can create unwanted motion, and weight transfer fluctuation through the TV's suspension.

A little less sag on the rear of your TV may be noticed, because many folks don't realize that the spring bars also support a percentage of the weight placed to the rear of the TV's rear axle.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hausknwa View Post
We purchased a 322FKS about a year ago. I also purchased a 1,200 Lb WD hitch with it as our old unit was much lighter. On the way home from the dealer the brackets bent severely. I took it back to the dealer and he installed heavy duty brackets. Again by the time I arrived home (30 miles) the brackets were bent. On the second return trip to the dealer the manager informed me that they never should have sold me that hitch (even though that is what I asked for!) and installed a 1,500 Lb. hitch. We have put over 8,000 miles on the unit and have not had a single problem since. Buy the way there was no charge for the larger hitch. I am really happy with our dealer and the hitch. My experience says go to the heavier unit.
Hope my experience helps.
Thanks for that info. I was concerned 15k would be overkill or even too stiff for my future rig but when I checked the weight range on the 15k hitch, I found it was 800 lb to 15k lb. I'm looking at roughly a little over 11k with 1.1K or more hitch weight so that is comfortably within the hitch's range. The 15k isn't that much more expensive than the 12k so why skimp?
Old 06-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #46

I've used a Blue Ox Sway Pro with 1500# bars on my toyhauler for a couple seasons and thought it was a good system. TW loaded was just over 1400# according to my scale. I got a ProPride 3P for the new trailer and like it.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #47

Texas A&M,

I have a Eagle Super Lite 314BDS which is the similar to your trailer. I just had the new Reese Dual Cam HP Straight Line w/ 1200 lbs bars installed. The dealer service tech who installed the hitch told me to remove the bars when I am backing into a site at a real tight or sharp angle as the tip ups could move. That happened to me on my last outing with the 'old' version of the Reese Dual Cam that I had. The tip ups moved, however, they did not bend. He told me that Reese only wants the installers to tighten the screw on the tip ups about 1/4 turn. Could it be that you have the tension real tight on the bars?
Wife, 2 kids and dog
RLD0361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #48

I spoke with my dealer today about the bent tip ups. They confirmed that it could happen when the tow vehicle is in a sharp angle with the trailer.
Wife, 2 kids and dog
RLD0361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #49

Anything is possible, but I didn't make any excessively sharp turns on the last trip. I guess it could have just been slowly happening over the past 6 months though. Either way, I'm going to bolt on the heavy duty brackets before my next trip.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #50

I bolted my heavyduty brackets yesterday. We are leaving on a trip Tuesday. I will post results in a few days.
Reese straight line dual cam
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
:Flag:
bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Early "HP" version the U-bolt threads should be facing outward:

Latest "HP" version the U-bolt threads should be facing inward:

Self tappers may work on the snap-up bracket, all depends if the threads will hold the down-ward force placed on the bracket. The problem is the thin wall of the A-frame tube.

Bob

Ok, bringing up an old thread.

I still need to make some adjustments to my DC set up, and after reading through this thread and looking at the pics above, i have realized my DC is the early version and my u bolt threads are facing inward. This was installed this way by the dealer, thus just another reason why i feel it needs adjusting further.

My question is, what issues would this cause with the u bolts in the incorrect position?
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Da Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #52

I know on my setup there is not a whole lot of clearance. Maybe on a tight turn the u bolts may rub.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote