Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-29-2016, 01:05 PM   #1

Are nail holes an issues on all new trailers?

Maybe my expectations were set to high but we looked at our new travel trailer and their are nail holes that need to be puttied all over. My husband and I were considering a used trailer and except some flaws but to see this on a new trailer was disappointing. Is this a common issue?
Attached Thumbnails
February 2016 2016-02-27 006.jpg   February 2016 2016-02-27 014.jpg  
Amf2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:20 PM   #2

These units are mass produced in a hurry!! Little flaws like that are very common. I have often said that real picky folks are going to have a problem with detail on RV's. if you watch them build a unit, you would wonder why they wouldn't be far worse then they are. The very expensive RV's also have flaws!! Goes with the territory!!!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:24 PM   #3

Thank you for your honesty. I will be honest we were at a RV show and I didn't notice anything like this and as you can tell I'm picky. They must detail top to bottom those units. I'm hoping they make these flaws less noticeable when we pick up the unit. The sales man said they do touch them up but i'm wondering how well.
Amf2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:05 PM   #4

Just my opinion But if you accept Your unit with any flaws and sign the paperwork then you have joined the long list of RV owners that say these flaws are common. It is a shame that RV manufactures ship out units with these "little flaws" and then advertise built with Amish Craftsmanship. It will be up to you to make sure all and any flaws you find are corrected PRIOR to you taking delivery. As long as the consumer accepts these flaws the practice will continue.

However I will disagree about being at RV shows and not seeing those flaws. The more you look the more you will see. Look behind cabinets and you will be surprised at the amount of debris that wasn't cleaned up. Its a hiding place for poor workmanship.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #5

In my mind, a common sense approach to issues will get you far more gain, longer then nit picking over a couple nail holes then weren't properly filled. The dealership is who ends up dealing with minor cosmetic issues. I have had great success getting real problems addressed in a timely fashion by not being rathful over the trivial things. I have had several major issues with our unit. It undoubtedly is a real PIA dragging the thing back to the dealer. But it has really been an eye opener to see results when the dealer and Jayco have each other's trust. I personally won't buy from another dealer or company. They have bent over backwards to make things right. Had I ranted on about a laundry list of trivial stuff, I'm certain human nature would have kicked in and there main goal would have been to get me out the door.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:48 PM   #6
Site Team

We just bought a matching putty stick and went over the unit and filled them. After 5 years we still find one now and again.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:36 PM   #7

Go camping and have fun!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:04 PM   #8

You'll find missed nail holes in a new house too.