Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2014, 04:28 AM   #1

Are slide toppers needed???

Have a 26rls and think I may put on a slide topper but are they really needed ?
Looking for feedback from others who have had them and don't have them.
Mikeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:00 AM   #2

I find them noisy in the wind.. if you camp under trees esp pine trees they may be a good idea.. otherwise they are just boat anchors.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:21 AM   #3

My last TT had one and my current TT doesn't.
I still found crap getting under the topper so I always swept the slide topper and slide roof off before closing it anyway which defeats the purpose of having a topper in my eyes.With that said I found it wasn't cost effective to purchase them for my current TT. Some people swear by them and their an absolute must and others like myself do just fine without them and find them not worth the money.

Adk Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:23 AM   #4

The store bought kind are super expensive. I made a low-dough slide topper from a heavy duty silver tarp, some velcro and a sewing machine that really keeps my slide clean and dry. Check the mods section.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:33 AM   #5

I have had them on my two most recent trailers. I love them. I have never once had to get up there and clean the top of the slide. Not to mention, top of the slide has never gotten wet. When it stays clean and dry, so does the inside of your trailer. Mine are not noisy at all. They are snug and don't move in the wind. I guess it depend on your camping type. We spend most of our time in heavily wooded sites where we are constantly getting covered in needles, acorns, falling leaves, etc. We just roll it in and move.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:56 AM   #6

A big advantage to toppers beyond keeping the trash off of the slides is keeping the slide so much cooler. If you are setting in heavy sunlight, the slides are significantly cooler with toppers. They do the job of keeping the sun directly off of the slide roof and temperatures in the slides are much cooler. I had them installed before we picked up our unit from the dealer. I've had trailers both ways and I think they are well worth the cost!!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPCamper View Post
I have had them on my two most recent trailers. I love them. I have never once had to get up there and clean the top of the slide. Not to mention, top of the slide has never gotten wet. When it stays clean and dry, so does the inside of your trailer. Mine are not noisy at all. They are snug and don't move in the wind. I guess it depend on your camping type. We spend most of our time in heavily wooded sites where we are constantly getting covered in needles, acorns, falling leaves, etc. We just roll it in and move.
X2
I'm just too darned old to be climbing on the roof to sweep off three slides. UPCamper hit the nail on the head. My last two units did not have them and this is my first unit with them. We do the same type of camping he does and I would not be without them now!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:05 AM   #8

Only speaking from the perspective of not having a topper on my TT, when I camp near trees, it's standard protocol for me to use a Werner aluminum ladder that I carry with me (equivalent to the Little Giant but much cheaper) and inspect the top of the slide before closing it. I have a "T" on my water supply and spray water with a hose/nozzle to remove any debris. When I don't have hook-ups, I'll climb on the top of my TT roof with the ladder and sweep any debris off and inspect the rest of my TT roof while I'm up there.

I didn't think about the benefit of it shading the slide to reduce heat, but I also refuse to pick any sites that are anything but in the shade. Until it's physically difficult to climb the ladder, I'll continue to do it this way.

The other thing to keep in mind is that once you install them, you'll probably have mounting holes in the side of your camper, not to mention the added cost for when the awning material wears out.
Honda EU2000i Generator
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5arnolds View Post
Only speaking from the perspective of not having a topper on my TT, when I camp near trees, it's standard protocol for me to use a Werner aluminum ladder that I carry with me (equivalent to the Little Giant but much cheaper) and inspect the top of the slide before closing it. I have a "T" on my water supply and spray water with a hose/nozzle to remove any debris. When I don't have hook-ups, I'll climb on the top of my TT roof with the ladder and sweep any debris off and inspect the rest of my TT roof while I'm up there..
I also do this, using the built-in ladder on my 28DSBH. Scoot up there with a broom and sweep off the top of the slide.

No need for a topper, as far as I can tell. If there was no slide, you wouldn't have an awning over that side anyhow for shade.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #10

So If I don't mind going up the ladder to clean off the slide , I don't need a topper ?
Am I missing something?
Mikeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #11

I camp on the whole west coast from Wa. To Ca. About 2K miles worth one way 2x3times a year for 6-7 weeks at a time and will always hit rain at some point. I wouldn't be with out the awning mainly because of the rain. If you just have a small dip in the roof.when you close it that water is now on the inside of the TT. When driving down the road it can run down the sides to the flooring edges and the exposed underlayment that you can't see unless you were to remove the slide. It will rot the floor. I was at Campworld and toured their shop and saw this first hand and it's a very expensive repair that you can prevent if you either remove any water before you pull the slide in or just buy the awning. I chose the awning because when getting ready to move to another location there are to many other things to do and think about. And if by chance I do get a little rain up there it's only on the edges and not much more than a mist.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeos View Post
So If I don't mind going up the ladder to clean off the slide , I don't need a topper ?
Am I missing something?
Nope. As far as I am concerned, they are primarily convenience. If you don't mind going up there every time you pack up and sweeping, then you probably don't need them. While I don't mind crawling up onto my camper, I am the type that wants to keep it easy. Thats why we trailer camp now and not tent. Roll in awning, roll in slide, hook up to truck and gone! We camp a lot and move a lot, so its a big time savings for my wife and I.

I also worry about it puddling up there and then rolling it in. There is a rubber seal but water will still get through and get the inside of your trailer wet. Ask me how I know!
Old 08-22-2014, 12:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
I camp on the whole west coast from Wa. To Ca. About 2K miles worth one way 2x3times a year for 6-7 weeks at a time and will always hit rain at some point. I wouldn't be with out the awning mainly because of the rain. If you just have a small dip in the roof.when you close it that water is now on the inside of the TT. When driving down the road it can run down the sides to the flooring edges and the exposed underlayment that you can't see unless you were to remove the slide. It will rot the floor. I was at Campworld and toured their shop and saw this first hand and it's a very expensive repair that you can prevent if you either remove any water before you pull the slide in or just buy the awning. I chose the awning because when getting ready to move to another location there are to many other things to do and think about. And if by chance I do get a little rain up there it's only on the edges and not much more than a mist.
What he/she said^^ You will get water in trailer if you roll in the slide while wet. Water on the edges of the slide is minimal. But if there is a puddle on top, I've seen it stream down the side between a gap in the seal and onto my floor. And its one less thing to deal with during pack up!
Old 08-22-2014, 01:45 PM   #14

X2 what UPCamper, Ela1948 and the other pro commenters have said! For us, it's all about the convenience and time savings. I'm up on the roof a few times a year claeaning, covering & checking the caulk. Heights are not my favorite thing & as I get older, my knees & shoulders talk louder! Not to metnion the main benefits of keeping debris & water off the slide and helping keep the trailer cooler in the heat! If it does rain & water pools on the topper, I just get up on a step stool & slide a broome uner the topper & knock the water off. This takes all of 5 minutes and that's the only thing I do to the slide when camping. I can't imagine we would ever be without the topper(s). But, I'm still trying to find a way to reach the seal with the silicone spray in the middle of the slide. Any suggestions on that?

2013 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL
RDUBYA448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeos View Post
Am I missing something?
No.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBYA448 View Post
For us, it's all about the convenience and time savings. Not to metnion the main benefits of keeping debris & water off the slide and helping keep the trailer cooler in the heat! If it does rain & water pools on the topper, I just get up on a step stool & slide a broome uner the topper & knock the water off. This takes all of 5 minutes and that's the only thing I do to the slide when camping. I can't imagine we would ever be without the topper(s). But, I'm still trying to find a way to reach the seal with the silicone spray in the middle of the slide. Any suggestions on that?
I'm just trying to understand this.
If it only takes you 5 minutes to get on a stool and slide a broome and knock the water off then what's the purpose of having the topper if your doing what one does without a topper?
Now even though you say you can't imagine you would ever be without a topper try to imagine this.... being able to get to that section of weatherstrip that you want to spray the silicone on that currently is out of reach because of that topper.
I'm not trying to be an &ss but you just contradict yourself justifying having a slide topper.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:32 AM   #17

Mike,
You will get every answer under the sun from different people as to why they like or need a topper or don't need one but like I stated if they were so needed to prevent damage etc... Jayco and other manufactures would make toppers standard on units with slides. The fact of the matter is the main reason why damage occurs to RV's is from people who don't take care of them or want to be bothered doing preventive maintenance etc...
Just my opinion of course.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:33 AM   #18

[QUOTE=. But, I'm still trying to find a way to reach the seal with the silicone spray in the middle of the slide. Any suggestions on that?[/

It's real easy, go to Lowes or Home Depot and in the paint department they sell paint roller extension poles . I wrap an old dish cloth around the end and hold it on with a rubber band then spray the dish cloth and when on my ladder hold it like a pool cue and go back and forth. They extend out at least 10-12'.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:37 AM   #19

I was agasint them on the first 2 units and have them on my current one. I don't have to clean the roof any longer under those as it is primarily dust that is under there. I do have to clean the awnings, but that goes quickly. They are black so limited mildew stains which is a plus. No, I don't go up there and sweep, as it falls off as it rolls in. So another plus if you camp in areas of heavy debris, like under trees.

Your slide roof tape and seals have limted UV exposure so I equate that to longevity of those components. The larger slides can develop puddles as I have seen on previous units and the seals don't sweep all that water off.

At the beach they did not flap as I thought they would and were quiet. Now time will tell how well they hold up and that will weigh on my decision should we order another unit down the line. For now I am happy and sold on them.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:52 AM   #20

To answer your question the slide awnings are not needed. there are plenty of campers without them. I had them installed on my dual slide TT for convience.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote