Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #21

I just had a Carefree slideout awning installed on our TT. Love it...works great to keep the leaves and morning dew off of the slide roof. I HATED climbing on to the roof to sweep the slide roof off before we closed it...especially if it rained. The water does pool slightly, but as the slide closes, the awning rolls up and the water comes right off. Great product in my opinion.
2016 Palomino Columbus 385BH "No Worries II"
2011 F-250 Super Duty Lariat, 6.7L PSD "The Mistress"
B&W Companion slider
mach8274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
I got one (Carefree of Colorado) and would not get another one esp from them but from any other company as well.. they make a horrible flapping noise in the breeze.. and when it rains you have to pull the slideout in to get it to dump water off the cover..
Have to agree, though if properly installed most water should shed off the topper as it retracts, but some will find its way in. The fifth wheel we are trading in has 3 Carefree slide toppers (we bought the rig used). Thought they were a good thing, until we saw how you can't access the slide seals to clean/lube with the topper in place, they require adjustment kind of often, lest the "arms" grab the stitching on the ends of the topper and rip the overlapped ends as they extend/retract, and finally, installation creates another wall penetration requiring caulking/maintenance to guard against leaks. And, they will flap in a stout wind............boy will they ever. Our new White Hawk has a single slide and is two feet closer to the ground than the 5th wheel's roof. I'll just broom off the water/debris off the slide roof before retracting it.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #23

The problem I experience with slideout awnings is bird nests! IF the ends of the awning are not closed tight, the birds will build nests. I had several this year and when the eggs hatch, it presents problems removing the nests that are well inside the length of the awning. I have to plug the open ends with hand towels. This also presents problems, when the hand towel gets rolled into the awning and keeps the awning from closing! To high to reach for removal without a laddder.
001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote