Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #21

I added the dimmer switch from Amazon last year. The LED lights are too bright at times, I turn them down to 25% when we are sitting outside at night. Then I turn them off and the amber step light stays on. Took me 5 minutes to splice the remote into the LED wiring outside the trailer. Fairly easy to do.
gburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:52 PM   #22

Hi, silly question, I bought 2008 26BHS, my orange outside light doesn't work, what turns the light on ?
Rooftop777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooftop777 View Post
Hi, silly question, I bought 2008 26BHS, my orange outside light doesn't work, what turns the light on ?
It should turn on with the awning light. It is probably burned out...pop the lens cover off and check the bulb if it's burnt out it will most likely be a blackish color. Get a replacement at the auto shop.
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooftop777 View Post
We bought our camper at one of the local RV shows and when we went back to do the paperwork I had asked the sales lady about the light on the steps. She just pointed to the LED strip on the awning. I said that I thought there was another light and wanted to know how to turn it on. Well we duck under the steps and see the yellow light. She was shocked that she never knew it was there. At first she thought it was tied to the marker lights but I said that wouldn't make any sense. So she flipped on the LED light and saw they came on together. On ours I think I might look into separating the two and having a dedicated switch for the step lights. We boondock mostly with family and the adults usually last a lot longer around the campfire than the kids. I don't want to leave the awning light on all the time but it would be nice to have some light for the step.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:51 AM   #25

My desire is to separate the LED exterior strip from the amber light beneath the steps, I hope to keep the Amber light on the existing switch and put the LED strip light on this ( Product Catalog :: Diamond Group ) dimmer.
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:57 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
We bought our camper at one of the local RV shows and when we went back to do the paperwork I had asked the sales lady about the light on the steps. She just pointed to the LED strip on the awning. I said that I thought there was another light and wanted to know how to turn it on. Well we duck under the steps and see the yellow light. She was shocked that she never knew it was there. At first she thought it was tied to the marker lights but I said that wouldn't make any sense. So she flipped on the LED light and saw they came on together. On ours I think I might look into separating the two and having a dedicated switch for the step lights. We boondock mostly with family and the adults usually last a lot longer around the campfire than the kids. I don't want to leave the awning light on all the time but it would be nice to have some light for the step.
I opted out for the dimmer because I hardly ever use the awning lights. The step light on mine is now on a separate switch. It's a very easy modification. I didn't know the step light was there until I read this thread. I bought a switch at my local RV shop and modified the switch plate, (I couldn't find a double plate so I just widened the hole.) I have about $8- invested...
Old 03-31-2017, 07:00 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I opted out for the dimmer because I hardly ever use the awning lights. The step light on mine is now on a separate switch. It's a very easy modification. I didn't know the step light was there until I read this thread. I bought a switch at my local RV shop and modified the switch plate, (I couldn't find a double plate so I just widened the hole.) I have about $8- invested...
Yeah that is basically what I am thinking. I haven't tried my awning light yet because we haven't been camping yet but I will keep the dimmer in mind for later.

When you did your mod were all the wires at the switch so you could just separate them? I was going to look at our camper and see if something like this would match up with the existing switches.

https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-1.../dp/B002UC144M

edit:
This would be another option.
https://www.amazon.com/JRV-Products-.../dp/B007HRLN8M
Old 03-31-2017, 07:13 AM   #28

Quote:

When you did your mod were all the wires at the switch so you could just separate them? I was going to look at our camper and see if something like this would match up with the existing switches.

edit:
Sennister- read this thread from the beginning it will show you various ways of separating the two lights and how I did the dimmer switch. There are a couple of ways of doing it just depends on the brand you buy. If you put the dimmer that I used it had a remote that I use as a switch in the main panel so I can turn on the main switch to the awning and step light then use the dimmer remote to turn off the strip. Works good you may be able to do the 2minute mod at the very beginning of this thread. It works for me but after doing the dimmer with remote it wasn't need anymore.
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:15 AM   #29

Quote:
Yeah that is basically what I am thinking. I haven't tried my awning light yet because we haven't been camping yet but I will keep the dimmer in mind for later.

edit:
Yes, there's a good description and pictures at the beginning of this thread. It's very easy.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:16 PM   #30

If you boondock you may want to see if that amber light under the stairs is LED or if it's a standard bulb. The LED would draw less power when left on over night.
HangoverHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:12 AM   #31

Just put the dimmer on my 2015 27DSRL. LED wiring came into bathroom vanity cabinet made access easy. Solved in the dimmer model leaving the original switches in tact. Easy and works nicely....remote can be left inside or taken outside with you.
ScottB1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:31 AM   #32

Is the stair well light screwed or stuck to the frame, behind the lens cover? With the bottom enclosed, I am still in the planning stages for where I can run a dedicated ground to the frame for the dimmer.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:17 AM   #33

On my fiver the OE LED awning light failed so I replaced it with a multi-color controllable strip from Amazon. I used a piece of the old strip to replace the step light and make more light as the 194 bulb did nothing. I can turn them on combined as original and if I don't want the awning on I use the remote for the new LED strip to turn that off and leave the step light on. The remote also allows color change and dimming for the awning.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:11 AM   #34

Step Light Lens Cover Replacement

I see a lot of info about dimmers and separate awning and step light switches but I don't see anything regarding changing the step light lens cover. Do they make a cover in blue? All of the other accent lights on my trailer are blue. It would be nice for the steps to be the same.
Zellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:31 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zellman View Post
I see a lot of info about dimmers and separate awning and step light switches but I don't see anything regarding changing the step light lens cover. Do they make a cover in blue? All of the other accent lights on my trailer are blue. It would be nice for the steps to be the same.
The LED under my stairs, came from Jayco blue.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote