Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-02-2017, 05:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart38655 View Post
Just purchased a new 212 qbw. Awning makes a terrible noise coming from the left arm when opening or closing. Sounds like it's binding somewhere on the track or the air prop is not operating smoothly. Also is very jerky on that side. Took it to the dealer and they said they called the company (Carefree) and everyone things it's just because it new and tight and will stop when it loosens up. I'm not convinced. Anyone have a similar experience?
My Dometic did that. The dealer changed the strut with no success. I tightened both black knobs and that seemed to do the trick.
tomvp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:46 PM   #22

Call Carefree with your awning serial number and should send you new struts. Ours did the same thing and they said the pressure in the original struts was too great and the replacement struts have less pressure. Ours haven't done it since I changed them out.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:41 AM   #23

awning noise

I realize this was an older thread... i have same issue on 16 TT . Has anyone who took their rig to dealer or shop to get this fixed find out what they claimed to be the problem. I am going to try the rope but no amount of spraying seems to fix it. Also, saw the strut change out posts but just curious about what the dealer or shop claims have been.
TIA
travelingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:30 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingman View Post
I realize this was an older thread... i have same issue on 16 TT . Has anyone who took their rig to dealer or shop to get this fixed find out what they claimed to be the problem. I am going to try the rope but no amount of spraying seems to fix it. Also, saw the strut change out posts but just curious about what the dealer or shop claims have been.
TIA
Welcome aboard Travelingman.

The awnings arms need lubrication annually. If they are not, they tend to bind. Sometimes they make noise, often the move irradicably.

Most people use spray silicone. With the awning open. The awning mechanisms clean and dry. Spray silicone on all moving parts, tracks, rollers, struts. Wipe with a clean towel. If I use silicone I usually need to repeat twice a year. You do not want to use any wet lubes, as they will attract dirt.

I have been primarily using TriFlow, expensive stuff, but it seems to last almost 2 seasons.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 05:57 PM   #25

My Awning noise is Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
In addition to lubing with silicon, I take a small piece of cotton rope and loop it over the gas piston arm and saw it back and forth the length of the strut with the awning open. This will clean and polish it. Then spray it with silicon too!
Thanks norty1! My Carefree awning rear arm was making binding noise in and out. I lubed up the little rollers on the track arm...noise still there . Came in the house and researched this great forum and took norty1's suggestion and now my Carefree is noise-free!
MrJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 06:55 AM   #26
Site Team

Great! You just polished it basically!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, noise