Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2016, 09:39 PM   #1

Awning/outdoor lights won't turn off

2016 19RD: the awning LED lights won't turn off, along with the under step amber light. The lower switch in the control center used to turn them off but now even when I pull the wires off the back of the switch, the lights stay on. They also stay on as I pull every fuze I could find. I eventually had to disconnect the battery to get them to turn off.

Anyone seen this before? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

D
DaveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:42 PM   #2

Do you have a remote that controls your slide outs? These remotes can also turn the awning lights on/off on some models. With my remote you have to Swipe the menu screen because the light control is on the second "page" of the menu.
If you turn the lights on with the remote you have to turn it off with the remote (and vice versa).
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:44 PM   #3

Yes, I ran into this during my walk through. My outdoor lights were wired to the same (always on) circuit that was running my carbon monoxide / propane detector. Initially I did have a blown fuse on that circuit. When the dealer 'fixed' the problem, my lights were on 100% of the time... the remote, nor the power switch would turn it off. You have the wrong load, on the wrong circuit. It's a dealer issue to resolve unless you want to tear into stuff under warranty you shouldn't have to mess with. I would just add it took them over an hour to fix it. It would have taken me 10 times longer to re-wire that factory defect.

Your situation may be a 'little' different in the specifics, but it sounds exactly like what I experienced (before I took delivery).

To BuddyRays point however, if you turned those lights on with the 'switch' you cannot turn them off with the remote, you have to use the method that you turned the lights on... to turn them off - but I'm thinking you know that already based on your troubleshooting thus far.

The amber light under the steps is always on with my unit... same with my neighbor that has a different brand, 100K$ 5th wheel. I'm not sure if that is a problem or not honestly.. looking for feedback on that myself. My TT is parked about 20 miles from me right now, the only way I can turn that amber step light off is to disconnect the battery. Sounds like we had / have the same issues.. I removed the bulb from the steps so I woulldn't kill my battery when we were off the grid last week. You could, if desired wire in a switch to that one light.. something I might do.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:08 AM   #4

Resolved

Well, after re-connecting the battery this morning everything seems fine. I also found the default PIN for the remote (0000) in another post here and it's working as advertised too. I suspect the remote had somehow turned the lights on and so the manual switch was disabled. The switch did have what looked like multiple "inputs" on one of the terminals.

Thanks all for the time.

D
DaveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:17 PM   #5

Thanks. Just had the same issue and found this. You save me a lot of time trying to figure this one out.
Diamond Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 01:02 PM   #6

Outside Lights on, the remote battery ran down, charged it back up, now will not turn off outside lights.
purebredmutt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 02:30 PM   #7

We have the Jaysmart, or whatever they call it. 2019. If I turn on the lights with the app on my phone, I have to turn them off using the app, or use the touchpad on the wall.
Old 01-02-2024, 02:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
We have the Jaysmart, or whatever they call it. 2019. If I turn on the lights with the app on my phone, I have to turn them off using the app, or use the touchpad on the wall.
2018 I didn't have app, so didn't know about it. Only ever used the remote. Now remote will not turn off light.
purebredmutt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 02:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by purebredmutt89 View Post
2018 I didn't have app, so didn't know about it. Only ever used the remote. Now remote will not turn off light.
Yes, we have different system. On ours, before we figured out the problem, we just turned the battery disconnect, the lights went off, and it went back to letting us use the switch as normal. Can't say if that would work for you.
Old 01-07-2024, 09:04 AM   #10

The remote and manual switches are separate single pole switches. They do not work like a three way would(remote on switch off). Since two single pole, remote on remote off, switch on switch off.
Kevin Cooper is online now   Reply With Quote