Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2015, 05:49 PM   #21

I agree with Flyrotor and that's with not knowing anything about a weight distribution hitch. However, I am a contractor. And I can only assume, that if the truck is rated for 1500 pound tongue weight, then that takes into account the front of the truck dipping up. Rated for 1500 pounds tongue weight means that you can do so, without raising the front of the truck. I just think that with a one ton truck, with a 1500 pound tongue weight, to install a 1200 pound WDH just doesn't make sense to me. That is the advantage of a one ton truck, you can handle and pull more weight. I just think that a WDH is specifically made for vehicles that exceed or are at tongue weight, but for heavy duty truck, there's just no need for one. Here is the sticker on my hitch. There is no mention of a WDH. Taking too long to upload. It's a picture of a truck and a trailer. Underneath the tongue there's an arrow pointing down the says 1500. Underneath the double axles of the trailer is an arrow pointing down says 13,000.
Cheaperrooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:13 PM   #22

It seems a lot of these ratings are coming right off the hitch, those aren't always correct for the tow vehicle. Our hitch says 1500lbs TW with or without a WDH, but the owners manual says different. In the owners manual, without a WDH the TW limit is 1000lbs, with a WDH it is 1500lbs. In the case of GM, that rating is the same for both the 2500 and 3500HD.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:40 PM   #23

The owners manual also says 1500 pounds. I understand why everyone will think that is what is needed, but I also think that very few people who pull travel trailers have a 1 ton truck. I am sure they are 1500s, maybe some with 2500s, and very few with 3500. A weight distribution hitch has become commonplace and most people don't give it any thought. But I guess I will have to find out on my own, by hooking it up and seeing what happens ) Truth be told, I would still use one, if the rating was higher than 1500 pounds. But to put something with a lesser rating on just goes against the grain of me.
Cheaperrooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:12 PM   #24

Most trailers on a 3/4 ton frame don't NEED a WDH flyrotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Not true at all. Did you not see the sticker from the F250 receiver? Depending on the size of the TT you can easily have tongue weights that exceed the receivers weight rating. Not all 3/4 tons have V5 receivers.
Like I said Most trailers on a 3/4 ton frame don't NEED a WDH. I agree some trailers will exceed, in if you count park models, they may exceed a 1 ton, but park models are not pulled around on a regular basis from park to park

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote