Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #1

B and B Model 571 in line vent

On 2/11 I posed a question and described a flooding problem with this vent in my 2012 Jayco super light 298 rls. Can anyone help with this problem. Its located in line on the black tank scrubber water line. It stuck someway, and allowed water to flood the furnace/water heater area/ my bedroom and front storage compartment. Its enclosed in the closed up area, about 8 inches above the furnace. Yes, black tank valve was open and draining. I knew I had a problem when water started dripping down underneath tt floor.

What function does the B and B model 571 in line vent on black tank scrubber water line do. Is it necessary. Its hid above the furnace in the enclosed compartment. It malfunctioned while draining my black tank , which was open and draining. Flooded my furnace, bedroom, and front storage area. I now have scrubber water line joined w/o the vent. Is that legal/safe.

The only way you will know its not working, is when water starts running from floor, underneath tt.

f
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #2

The 571 is a plastic valve. Mine was installed in an area that is closed off and impossible to monitor. No way to know it's leaking until the water pours out. Frankly, the whole black tank washer system does not appear to me to be a high quality device.

I've has some issues with my black tank washer discussed in this thread. I believe your issue is with the 571 vacuum breaker check valve. It has two functions:
1) The vacuum breaker prevents fluids from the black tank from being siphoned out the black tank washer line out the the fitting where you attach a water hose. This part of the 571 is just a plastic piston that is pushed up against a sealing surface within the valve when water pressure is applied. When there is no water pressure, the piston drops and opens the line to atmospheric pressure, thereby preventing siphoning.
2) There is also a check valve in the 571 that prevents water from flowing backwards from the tank tank washer system to the outside.

The two functions the 571 does are important to prevent a possibility of contaminating the fresh water supply system of a campground with effluent from a black tank.

It seems that your leak was caused by the plastic piston not sealing as it was supposed to and therefore letting water leak out of the 571 valve and causing the problem; another possibility is that somehow some water was retained in the valve and freezing caused the valve to break.

With all the noise that the black tank washer makes, it would be difficult to hear a water leak, and if your vacuum check valve is inside a wall like mine is, there is no chance to know what's going on until there is a big problem. The 571 valves are inexpensive, fairly easy to replace if you can get your hands into the wall where it is, and available to buy on line or maybe at your dealer.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #3

Tks for info. Blew my water lines out twice in the fall, but. I can replace it easy , but not sure if I want another flood inside my unit. It was bad! Maby I will attach a backflow check valve outside unit , to my hose I use for black tank cleaning work. Believe me, it wasn's a leak, it was a flood that came full force thru that device. Took it off and hooked it up outside, and water came out the top full force. I had at least one inch of water inside my furnace and it ran across bedroom and then down into front storage area, soaking 3 feet of carpet there. A long night, had I.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #4

That really sounds like a major mess; I'm sure cleaning it up was a real pain. It really seems like Jayco needs to make a more reliable choice for the vacuum breaker/check valve.

Could you tell what happened to the valve? Did it look like the one in my other thread? Was the valve intact? Maybe the plastic piston got stuck and did not rise up to make a seal? Or was there some defect in the area where the piston seals?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:05 PM   #5

It is a B and B 571 device. Broke off the top, and it appeared very clean inside. Took out the spring from inlet side, and it looked new. Plug ether end, and air/water will come out the top. Since I bought the unit used, there is no warranty issue from me. The previous owner said he bought unit new 11/12 and used it 3 times. Traded it in on a larger 5th wheel. I bought unit 7/13. I feel lady luck was setting on my shoulder, for the furnace should have been wiped out. Got to figure out another location or system. Have used the scrubber direct, and it seems to be working, so not the problem. Sent a e-mail to Jayco service, seeking info a week ago, but no response to date. There is no way I will allow such a device to flood my unit again.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #6

Mine is also located above the furnace. It goes in a bit, then makes a 90* turn down to the black tank. This makes me nervous as well. In my floorplan, there is a decorative large "vent" that's removable [inside] by taking out 4 screws. It's the only access to the heater I have. It exposes the valve for observation. Before using the flush for the first time in the season, I remove the vent before flushing and turn the water on slowly, go inside to make sure that it's not leaking and then turn on full blast.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #7

Quick update on the b and b 571 vent.

downloaded the installation info from b and b. 1. this product shall not be installed where the venting of water from the device during normal functioning causes damage. 2. attach the Caution sticker near the water inlet of system. Why does RVIA allow Jayco to not follow this info? Would have saved me pain and agony. This problem is covered on other rv forums for the past two or three years. Some say that b and b mfg will send you a new one, should you contact them. Seems the mfg has a problem with this product breaking and leaking. Probably will contact NHTSA about this, for I have emailed and called JAYCO, with no response todate.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:37 PM   #8

How did you know to look there for a valve. Did you have a warning label by outside scrubber inlet? B and B sends and requires such a label there. I understand the valve can stick at any moment. You may want to check to be sure the water flow thru the valve is correct. I think mine was reversed. The longer stem has a faint arrow pointing towards the thread, on each side.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #9

Just got off the phone with a service lady from Jayco. Yes, we are to place a warning label by water inlet to scrubber. Had no idea as to why my unit did not have such a label. She would not address the mfg requirement of " not installing the vent in an area that would cause damage during normal venting of water functioning." She advised that the only function of vent was to keep black tank material from flushing back into the fresh water source. As such, I could leave it off, but would suggest that some type blackflow device be used. Since I found a model 571 for sale for about 45.00, and found a much cheaper valve at home depot, guess which I will choose. Would like to hear the thoughts of some of the senior rv members on this forum. Info on label and placement of valve, is from www.bandbmolders.com web page.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhillbilly View Post
How did you know to look there for a valve. Did you have a warning label by outside scrubber inlet? B and B sends and requires such a label there. I understand the valve can stick at any moment. You may want to check to be sure the water flow thru the valve is correct. I think mine was reversed. The longer stem has a faint arrow pointing towards the thread, on each side.
Arkhillbilly, not sure if that question was directed at me. The outside flush orifice was located above/right of my furnace exhaust, so I knew the line had to go through the furnace chamber. When I pulled the interior vent, the backflow valve was above/ right of the opening. There is a black/silver sticker on the outside above the flush that states 'Black tank flush-- sewer valve MUST be open when using the flush" or something of that nature. My previous TT had the backflow valve directly behind where the hose hooked up. I think it was all one piece as I've seen them on the internet. [JR Products]
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #11

Here's a link to the B&B instructions for their tank washer system. Already noted is that the B&B instructions say not to install it where water damage could occur from normal operation of the vacuum breaker valve. Here are two quotes from the instructions that relate to this:

"Vac/Check cannot be installed in an inaccessible location where venting of water from device
during normal operation causes damage. It must be installed in an easily accessible location to
end user."

"It is normal for a small amount of water to escape Vac/Check as plumbing line for tank flush
pressurizes. "

So the valve leaks a bit of water in normal operation and should be installed where such water won't cause damage, and it's supposed to be installed in an easily accessible location. Seems like Jayco fails to follow both of these instructions in many cases. I am not pleased with Jayco quality in this case.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #12

The water damage was one thing, the valve being located 8 inches above the furnace and flooding it could have cost me lots of dollars, but it is only 12v. Setting near the furnace is a gas/elect water heater. Should the w/h been operating on elect, and some type of short occurred, what could have happened to my barefooted wife, walking in the flooded bed area? That part has me upset! The lady at Jayco service in ElkhRT did not get very excited, even when I explained other Jayco and rv mfgs had been talking of the same type 571 valve problem from at least 2010. Duh!
Old 07-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #13

Eliminating vac vent B&B model 571

Hey all-
I found this old thread googling because my vac vent leaked today. It may have just been positioned wrong, but just in case...

If you eliminated it and use an exterior check valve, what do you use?
DetroitFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:20 PM   #14

Anyone?

TT - 2015 Jay Flight 32TSBH
TV - 2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 5.9L Cummins diesel
DetroitFD is offline   Reply With Quote