Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2015, 09:55 PM   #1

Baby wipe clog in black tank

So, last August, my 7 yr old niece flushed a baby wipe down the toilet. I noticed that later this year, my tank never seemed to empty all the way. I usually use a rinsing wand, but it broke and my last dumping was without one. Now it only emptied a 1/3 of the way. It's about 2/3 full as I can see down the toilet. It doesn't seem to be even trickling out.I'm at a campground seasonally so I am slightly restricted from moving. Any suggestions? I'm sure it's the baby wipe since we don't put TP in the toilet!:
1 husband
1 stepdaughter 26 yrs old
1 Mastiff mix 4yrs old
rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:58 PM   #2

Someone will chime in with an item number, but use one of those clear attachments that has a hose attachment onto your dump valve and hook your hose to that. Then back flush into the black tank, then see if it empties better. May have to repeat, but it should clear the clog.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:47 AM   #3

Thanks ! I do have one but, I'm just a little worried about it overflowing. The campground has their own tank hooked to mine with a clear elbow. I'll have to remove that first. I've heard a " honey" dipper can suck it out from the inside?
1 husband
1 Mastiff mix 4yrs old
Old 08-04-2015, 05:51 AM   #4
Site Team

Back flushing it or a flexible wand may help. Stand back!!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:14 AM   #5

Wow, 1 baby wipe did that?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:21 AM   #6
Site Team

Maybe the diaper went in there also?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:09 AM   #7

There is an extremely remote possibility it's just the one baby wipe down there if it's clogged. Maybe your niece put half a box in, or flushed something else. Maybe you have a valve problem or something completely different going on. A baby wipe is not nearly large enough or strong enough to hold back the back pressure of 30+ gallons of water in a tank.

UPC
Old 08-04-2015, 07:20 AM   #8

Usually yes, but if it starts a clog and then other stuff (like TP) starts to catch on it you end up with a mass right at the exit. My first try would be to back flush since it's the easiest, then move to other things.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtho1 View Post
Usually yes, but if it starts a clog and then other stuff (like TP) starts to catch on it you end up with a mass right at the exit. My first try would be to back flush since it's the easiest, then move to other things.
OP says they never put TP down toilet. So shouldn't be anything down there but liquid, semi solids and a baby wipe.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:37 AM   #10

Oops. Missed that. I would still back flush first. With lots of kids using our bathroom, I just keep that elbow on whenever we are hooked up.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:01 AM   #11

Baby wipes are a huge problem for sewerage treatments plants also, if you google it you will find a number of articles regarding them. Also Q tips are a big issue in an RV tank. I agree back flushing is probably the way to go. No easy options sadly.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:43 PM   #12

If you don't put TP in the toilet what do you do with it? I think I know. I just don't understand. I can't imagine why you wouldn't put TP in a toilet.

I mean I've had like 9 different RV's and half a dozen boats over the last 30 years and I've stuffed whatever TP is on sale at Sam's in every one of them with no problems at all. Now a trash can full of used TP, that's a problem I don't want.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
If you don't put TP in the toilet what do you do with it? I think I know. I just don't understand. I can't imagine why you wouldn't put TP in a toilet.

I mean I've had like 9 different RV's and half a dozen boats over the last 30 years and I've stuffed whatever TP is on sale at Sam's in every one of them with no problems at all. Now a trash can full of used TP, that's a problem I don't want.

Amen to that!
Old 08-04-2015, 04:22 PM   #14

How about using a plumbers snake?
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #15

I'm totally paranoid to have a clog! We had one right after we bought this one and I haven't used TP in the toilet since. I feel it's a small price to pay to avoid a clog. Also, My parents always used this policy in their motor home during my childhood. I can say that after having another clog, it didn't seem to make a difference. I use Calgon and dawn as my tank cleaner/deodorizer and I thought plenty of water. I'm definitely frustrated!
1 husband
1 Mastiff mix 4yrs old
Old 08-04-2015, 08:37 PM   #16

Just guessing, but could the vent be clogged? Not sure if this would hinder draining.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:05 AM   #17

Since you had a clog when the unit was still new I'm going to suggest that perhaps the cutout from the toilet base is still in the tank. Sometimes when the factory uses a hole saw to cut out the hole for the toilet they leave the disc inside the tank. This can easily cause severe clogs. I'd be tempted to buy a cheap (disposable) webcam to have a look down the hole.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:29 AM   #18

The plumbers snake sounds like an idea. I might also try and old water hose and see how far I could push it up in there and flood it real good with lots of pressure. Just an idea.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:30 AM   #19

Greetings Campers,

Just go to your local Home Depot and rent a drain camera Drain Camera
critter210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvan View Post
I'm totally paranoid to have a clog! We had one right after we bought this one and I haven't used TP in the toilet since. I feel it's a small price to pay to avoid a clog. Also, My parents always used this policy in their motor home during my childhood. I can say that after having another clog, it didn't seem to make a difference. I use Calgon and dawn as my tank cleaner/deodorizer and I thought plenty of water. I'm definitely frustrated!
Hi RayVan,

I agree with others - TP is not a problem to worry about. Once you figure out this current dilemma, please feel free to flush TP.

The cutout in the tank is a good possibility. The idea of sending a camera up the outlet line is the BEST ANSWER. Towns and municiapalites regularly send robotic cameras sown the sewer mains to look for breaks, blockages, and illegal connections.

Roto-Rooter plumbers have similar equipment. Heck, most plumbers today will have a drain camera, or be able to rent one from the local rental depot store.

It's just effluent, solids, and waste paper. My 2 year old can fill a diaper up with it, and I deal with it on a daily basis. We all do it. Whatever you send up the line should be hosed off and then sanitized with bleach. No Biggie.

There are only so many places that restrict flow - and the most likely culprit is something bridging across the tank wall where the outlet pipe is molded.

A camera will get you the truth as to what you are dealing with. Then, you can formulate a plan to go after it. Other than that, we are all shooting in the dark so to speak. Sending copious amounts of water up the line may help dislodge it , but if its a floating piece, it may very well block again.

the sewer line is typically conected to the Black Tank at a molded outlet, and the 3" pipe is generally JUST connected with some adhesive goo and a stainless steel pipe clamp. It should not be PVC Welded to the tank. This is so people can do exactly what you're going to do - disconnect the pipe at the Black tank, reach into the tank, and grab the offending blockage.

It would be best if you had a septic pumper truck pump the tank first, of course. But... its just poo.

Folks - this is just one more reason why I have no desire to go "seasonal."
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote