Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #1

BAL Lock-Arm Stabilizers question

I have a Jayco travel trailer, 28' total length, no slides.
The trailer shakes a little bit when we move inside, during the day it is fine but bother us in during the night as the trailer shakes when my kids move in their beds. My kids sleep in the back of the trailer and I sleep in front of the trailer.

I brought the BAL Lock-Arm Stabilizers from Camping World, it came with two stabilizer bars.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...zing-bar/37028

Are those two enough to stabilize the trailer? If yes where should I put them?

1. Both in the same jack, where one bar will be on the side of the trailer and the other one in the back? This way I will have force against movements from both directions?

2. Different jacks. On the jacks in the back, one bar on the curb side and the other on the street side.

3. Other configuration?!

At Camping World they had two more options. One was the Universal RV Stabilizer, for ~$50. This one is not mounted on the trailer, I will need to setup every time. The sale guy told me it is better to have two of them, one in the back and one in the side at the front of the trailer. This will end up being $100.
The other option was the Eliminator Strut Stabilizer System. This come with 6 struts and the price was too high for me, $260.

The one I got was $70 and the sales guy told me two bars will be good enough, so, I got this one…

Thanks,
Marcelo
marcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #2

Look at the JT Strongarm. That is what you have is coping.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #3

JT Strongarms are too expensive when the Bal-Locks do the same thing for less than half the price. I had the exact same problem on my 30U Featherlite so I started out with one of the Bals on front and one on back and it helped a lot but I ended up putting two more on for a total of four and now it only moves when people use the stairs. As far as how to mount them...as far as I could tell when I installed them they can only go one way, at least on the stabilizers that I have. It didn't appear that I could mount two Bals to the same stabilizer even if I wanted to because of the way all the pieces fit together.
10,000# Equal-i-zer Hitch
The Pennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #4

We have to have all four corner stabilizers down or we feel movement when the grandkids roll over at night in the back of our tt. Your 26bhs didn't come with stabilizers? Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #5

I have the standard stabilizer sizzer jacks (4) and can tell if my son rolls around in bed, or when someone uses the entrance steps.
Since we are "seasonal" I'm sure some wood steps would help with the entrance shakes.
Our stabilizers need to be replaced, but not sure if that alone will help. I've also considered "Slide Supports" that are, for the most part, recommended for Seasonal campers that have the slides extended for months at a time.
I plan on replacing the stabilizers and purchasing the slide-supports (4) to help stabilize the unit. If that works then I'm good, if not then I will look into additional stabilizer help.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #6

My have 4 Scissor Jacks, but still shaking.

Yesterday I added the two BAL Lock-Arm Stabilizers on the jacks on the back of the trailer. One on the street side and one on the curb side.
When I unlock one of them I can shake the trailer easily by hand, after lock both of them the trailer is much more solid and does not shake that much.

I will be camping during the weekend, lets see how that goes, right now looks very promissing.
marcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #7

Looking forward to your results Marcel !!
Old 09-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #8

Will these lock-arms work with "scissor-jacks" ???

I noticed the picture at camping world shows an RV with a different stabilizer type.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #9

I have a 26s, Kiwi Too, it did the same thing. I went to camping world, bought 4 new scissor stabilizers, replaced the old light weight EOM. I made two between the wheels Chocks, that fixed 90% of the problem. No matter what you do, you will still have some movement, unless you put it up on blocks.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #10

(In case the Bal-X chocks come up in this topic...) We read at another forum while researching Jayco's last year that many people swore by the Bal-X Chocks to help stabilize the tt. We did buy them, but found that by themselves we still had that rock-n-roll when someone moved around the tt (felt mainly when in bed). No matter, we have to have all four stabilizers down...and... We still feel some movement in the tt, but is minimal compared to having not having all four stabilizers down.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:22 AM   #11

A little "shake" is understandable. I don't want to dive to deep into it, but since the scissor jacks need replacing (they back off on their own) I am going with the slide supports too.

Next would be the stabilizer arms. After that "I surrender" !
Old 04-11-2024, 12:23 PM   #12

BAL Lock-Arm Stabilizers

I know this is an old thread, however I recently installed two BAL Lock-Arm Stabilizers on the rear if my 23RLSW. I added a piece of angle iron from frame rail to frame rail to mount them closer in-line with the rear jacks. I must say these are a real game changer for side to side stability. I would highly recommend these to anyone looking for more side to side stability to their RV.
Attached Thumbnails
20240411_124107.jpg   20240411_124117.jpg   20240411_124204.jpg  
MrJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 11:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
A little "shake" is understandable. I don't want to dive to deep into it, but since the scissor jacks need replacing (they back off on their own) I am going with the slide supports too.

Next would be the stabilizer arms. After that "I surrender" !
I picked a little set of these metal thingies that lock the scissor jack nuts and keep them from back down on their own....
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 1.55.50 PM.jpg  
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote