Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2015, 11:04 AM   #1

bathroom leak/jay flight questionable quality

Attention jay flight owners. Do the following test. This can happen to you too.
I'm beginning to question jayco quality . Jayco just can't build the bathroom right.

Step 1 . Tilt your trailer to the left and back, for easy exit of the water leak. Depending on where your bath tub is, mine is on the back left side.

Step 2. Spray the bottom gap like the following video. Notice I don't even spray the vertical gap. If I spray the vertical gap, the water will flow out like a river. Why can't Jayco design this right ? Bathroom by nature should be impervious to water spray anywhere, except outside of the tub.

https://youtu.be/oQ3Cm3o9K4M

Step 3. watch the back left side of your trailer. You will see:

https://youtu.be/Di7v6w9rxlI

Message to the dealer:
1. Please lift the tub, and find all wood rot underneath the tub. This has been going on for months, I only notice this recently. Who would have gone out and checking out for leaks when someone is taking shower , especially for new , 6 months only trailer. I have trusted Jayco quality, mistakenly, unfortunately. I am confident that all the wood underneath the bath tub and wall surrounding the tub has been water damaged. Keep in mind I did check several times before, and didn't find the leak. That was because the water didn't get a chance to exit, and just settled, absorbed by the wood. Especially if the trailer is not tilted to the back-left

2. Find out why there is no flashing going up to the tub wall. According to Jayco there should be flashing that go up high around the tub wall.

3 Do not caulk anywhere behind the tub, as well as the wall joints. When the flashing is done right, just like a roof, no caulk is needed. My concern with band id fixing this by just applying caulk is just not right. A caulk will eventually give in to constant movement by the wall. And if a caulk is done behind tub / tub wall, then it is WORSE. Because I could not see that the caulk has give in since it is covered behind the tub / tub wall. It will leak again after a few long trip easily.
I want to able to test spraying all over the bath tub again after the flashing is done right.

Remember , the key is to find all the damaged wood.
This is bad, very bad, because if the trailer is titled to front right, the water will just spread through the front and right side of the trailer. No easy exit for the water. As a result, the water would have just been soaked by wood flooring.

I want Jayco to be responsible for all the wood damage.
pawntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
Site Team

I could be wrong but I dont see a shower surround. My Jayflight has a plastic like surround around the tub that comes over top of the lip on the top edge of the tub. No way for it to leak unless I turn my TT upside down.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #3

Like Dusty, my trailer has a plastic surround around the walls and over the lip of the tub... What model is yours? Looks like the regular wall in your shower area?
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #4

I didn't even know that Jayco made trailers without the plastic surround as I have never seen one. That being said I had a camper once that didn't have a tub surround and I would never ever use the tub for a shower under any circumstances.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #5

I too have a jay flight and have the surround. If your questioning the quality of jayco, I would be too, they forgot a shower surround on your trailer.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #6

Thanks, I have a similar model, and I will keep my eye on it next trip.
Dream Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:39 PM   #7

I have a surround in my trailer as well. But when I was shopping, I saw many trailers without them. I don't recall what brands they were, but I found it to be pretty common on the smaller units I looked at. I often wondered if they did something to the walls to protect them from the spray in the shower; based on the OP vids, I guess they don't...

We use our shower ALL THE TIME, so when I was looking, no shower surround was a deal breaker.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:17 PM   #8

In the SLX line (small units) all showers and tubs has NO surround.
instead the all have a big silicon strip all around.

I use my tub all the time in my small SLX (no surround) as I have 2 small kids, and mine didn't leak (yet...)
I do wipe the wall when I'm done.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:48 PM   #9

I don't get what they are saving by not putting in a surround. $100, maybe $200 total including labor? I don't see why they wouldn't put them in every unit.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
I don't get what they are saving by not putting in a surround. $100, maybe $200 total including labor? I don't see why they wouldn't put them in every unit.
Jayco selling point on the SLX is lower wight.
They are saving on wight so people like me can tow it with Minivans and V6 SUV's...

The tub surround is not a big deal, we don't live in that trailer full time, so for the 8 times a year that we will use it - worst case I will replace the silicon each year or add the a tub surrounding later.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #11
Site Team

No tub surround is nothing new, on earlier model Jayflights such as mine it was part of a optional package which included other items like 30lb propane bottles and electric/propane water heater. Then the Swift and SLX lineup came out without the tub surround as standard equipment. Supposedly the wall there paper is water resistant, but I would prefer the surround.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:09 PM   #12

I have a jay feather ultralite and it has no tub surround. No problems todate.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:57 PM   #13

The fact that you do not see the leak does not mean it does not happen. In fact it is worse. Because it may happen, but the water is not seen because it is soaked up by the wood flooring.
That is my biggest worry, why I see this leak only infrequently before.
It was because , when the trailer is level, the water just spread on the floor, and didn't get a chance to exit. My wood floor is probably soaked up with water and rot already.

I would suggest you perform your own test by tilting your trailer to the right direction.
To me, the bath tub is on the back-left side. So to make the water seen and exit quickly, I tilted the trailer back-left.

I agree that this most likely happen only to the non tub surround bath.
My unit is 154BH
Old 10-06-2015, 05:30 PM   #14

Ok dropped the 154BH to the dealer, provide a link to this forum so Jayco can see the video of the problem directly. Dealer said that they will contact and consult with Jayco on the proper method to resolve this.

Hopefully Jayco is responsible enough by applying the proper construction of the bath tub, not just a temporary fix using caulking.

Also repair the damage wood, if any found.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:52 PM   #15

No surround in my 2011 165 either. But I think the tub has a lip the protrudes upward behind the walls. Ill do a water test as I have yet to use the shower. Use the campground shower always.
Tommyboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:06 PM   #16

Cool ToomyBoy, don't forget to tilt the trailer for easy problem creation.
I'd like to see if I'm the only one having this problem.
If I am the only one, that will give me more leverage and proof that mine is not constructed properly.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:58 AM   #17

This thread piqued my interest since I also have a tub with no surround.

A little research showed that all tubs have flashing around the top. Knowing how the trailers are constructed, with the walls made up separately, I would guess that the tub would be a late drop in with the flashing not covered by the wall panel.

Looking at mine, there is a molding all the way around covering the flashing. A thorough inspection with a flashlight and magnifying glass revealed a full tight seal with silicone on both the top and bottom of the molding. I can't see how any water could possibly penetrate.....at least on mine.

Still a good heads-up. As time permits I'll put an access hole and cover on the front of the tub so that periodic inspections can be made.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:45 PM   #18

Thanks gypsmjim
Would you be kind enough to provide a picture of the molding.
So that I can provide to the dealer. Maybe mine is mis constructed. And the molding was left out during construction.

Or do you mean the white base molding on the attached picture ?
Because if that is what you mean, I thought the bottom side of the molding should not be caulked, so that water can escape just in case it gets behind molding
Attached Thumbnails
jayco.jpg  
Old 10-16-2015, 06:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawntan View Post
Thanks gypsmjim
Would you be kind enough to provide a picture of the molding.
So that I can provide to the dealer. Maybe mine is mis constructed. And the molding was left out during construction.

Or do you mean the white base molding on the attached picture ?
Because if that is what you mean, I thought the bottom side of the molding should not be caulked, so that water can escape just in case it gets behind molding
Your picture shows exactly what I have. The "caulk" on the bottom (where the molding touches the tub) is white, while the top (where it contacts the wall) is clear silicone.

Because of the difference in material my guess would be that the flashing was caulked first, and then the molding was applied, and then it was cleaned off at the tub joint. Finally, the silicone was applied at the of of the molding.

In any event, looking at mine I can see no way it could leak. Look at yours very closely like I did and see if there is a missed spot in the clear silicone, or if it separated from the wall or tub.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:21 PM   #20

Our swift has the tub surround and the gap between the tub and the surround irritates me to no end. If I don't setup a tad high in front and on the curb side water will get into the gap and roll right into the floor during a shower. I couldn't imagine having no tub surround at all. At least our shower issue has a work around.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote