Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2014, 01:18 AM   #21

Thanks again for the insight! I need to make a priority list of things to add or upgrade on the trailer! So many things! One I don't have to upgrade: led lights... The only incandescent is on the range hood- so I just won't use that one! The rest came stock with led.

I also need to get a trickle charger or new charge controller: when hooked up at my house for a few days I think the battery was getting too hot, might even have boiled it a little bit- oops! For those of you that can plug in (at home or in storage) how do you keep your batteries charged without overcharging them? I don't want to mess up my one any further and really don't wanna mess up two of them!
equilizer hitch
14 Jayco x213
RVCamperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:34 AM   #22

If you have a 2013 trailer, you should have the newer multistage converter that can be left plugged into shore power indefinitely. The old single stage converters didn't have the ability to maintain a battery like yours should. If you really are boiling your battery, there is a problem with your converter. Your converter should have at least 3 different stages. Mine has a maintenance charge of about 13.25 volts. It goes up from there to 13.6 volts and then to 14.4 volts when the battery is heavily discharged.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #23

@Ela- thanks for that information! I have been trying to track down the info on my charge converter but haven't found it... where do you find the info? Where is the converter on the trailer? I would really like to look into this more, as it is super easy for me to plug in- but want to make sure it is a good idea.

thanks
dan
equilizer hitch
14 Jayco x213
Old 07-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #24

Im thinking it is going to be one of those two panels under the fridge or pantry door shown in this google photo. Being a 2014 model it should have the smart mode multi-charge stage converter chassis inside one of those two panels.

Lets us know what the model is when you find... Google will tell us what it is...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #25

any idea what I should be looking for?
equilizer hitch
14 Jayco x213
Old 07-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #26

It should be very close to your electric breakers. Probably brown in color with a louvered door.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #27

In your packet of material that came with your trailer should be a information booklet on your converter. Should tell you everything you need to know.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #28

Will look when I get home- thanks again!
equilizer hitch
14 Jayco x213
Old 07-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #29

In our 2010 213 the converter is behind a small panel next to the fuse box about center under the foot of the bed. Just under the slide motor. The problem with the 213 and dual batteries is the hitchitch and spare tire setup. I ended up switching the supplied battery box out and replacing my battery with a group 31 size and am able to keep ahead of it with minimal gen time when dry camping. As everyone else stated changing to LED lights makes big difference. If you are overcharging batteries while plugged in get your system checked, something is not working correctly.
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:48 PM   #30

thanks greenman for the location info- I will look. A nice feature on the newer x213s is they redid the battery set up in the front- it is now a long tray with room for at least 2 batteries, no problem, maybe more even. The spare tire hangs under the battery and propane.
equilizer hitch
14 Jayco x213
Old 07-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #31

Look into a 12 volt AGM deep cycle TT battery, good for many years.
Durability is worth the cost.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:15 PM   #32

I tracked down the charge converter: you all had it right... my 2014 x213 has a multi stage converter (Progressive Dynamics PD4000 series), and it is in the bank of electronics just below the fridge. So, at least for now, I can cross that off the list of things I need! I do need to keep an eye on the battery though and see if it really did get too hot or if there was condensation or something from the case- not sure how the liquid on top of the battery got there... but when I popped open the battery case to add water they were full still...

so back to figuring out batteries... I am torn between getting 2 of the inexpensive Costco 6v golf cart batteries for ~$90 each or one 12v like I have that is around $120. Gonna do 3 nights in the trailer this weekend and think about it some more.
equilizer hitch
14 Jayco x213
Old 07-16-2014, 09:17 PM   #33

I should add-> I will also take ninjahbob's suggestion and check out the AGM batteries- I have read they are super durable and expensive.... thanks for the idea! Do you have them in your rv?
equilizer hitch
14 Jayco x213