Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2010, 03:47 PM   #1

Battery going dead

Hi; i have a 2010 jayco 22FB and my battery goes dead ( 2 days) just sitting in the yard. nothing is on in the camper except the co and propane detector . i checked for a draw and there is a 0.33 amps draw. but if pull the fuse out for the radio/ co,pro dedector, i have no more draw. should the radio ( turned off) and the detector have that much draw?
dpica15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #2

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum dpica15!

Although batteries aren't my thing, I can tell you that if you don't find the answer here in the time you need the answers, try calling Jayco direct yourself. They may direct you to a dealer or other nearby facility that can take care of it under warranty.... 574-825-5861. If anything, come back and let us know what's going on as it will help others who have the same problem in the future.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:27 AM   #3

Hello dpica15 and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.
You have a question that fits my "Area" of experience.
You said you pulled the fuse for the radio and detectors, are you talking about the each individual fuse or one main fuse?
The reason I ask is because they may be labeled as "Radio" or "Oven" or etc... but they may have other devices connected as well. Radio fuse could be for the TV, Radio, Some Lights and outlets.
Are you sure you shut off the TV antenna booster? That will drain a battery real quick (2 days). Otherwise I would have the dealer check your battery and see if you have a shorted or dead cell.
Good Luck and let us know what you find out!!!

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #4

I would have the battery load tested. My new 22FB came with a group 24 Interstate battery, and my experience with Interstate in the Marine industry wasn't stellar. When you get he battery issue fixed, I would recommend installing a battery cutoff switch. The photo below shows a Blue Sea switch installed ina battery box I'm building. It can be installed anywhere and even one as simple as a knife type switch would work. That insures zero drain on your battery.

Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurJayco View Post
Hello dpica15 and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.
You have a question that fits my "Area" of experience.
You said you pulled the fuse for the radio and detectors, are you talking about the each individual fuse or one main fuse?
The reason I ask is because they may be labeled as "Radio" or "Oven" or etc... but they may have other devices connected as well. Radio fuse could be for the TV, Radio, Some Lights and outlets.
Are you sure you shut off the TV antenna booster? That will drain a battery real quick (2 days). Otherwise I would have the dealer check your battery and see if you have a shorted or dead cell.
Good Luck and let us know what you find out!!!

Glad to be here. It is the same fuse for the radio/tv/co2/propane detector.It was the TV booster that was on. Thanks alot for the quick response. The battery is a brand new one that my dealer gave me last week. Now the only thing that will drain my battery is the detector (over a extended period of time ), so i might install a master disconnect switch at the battery.
dpica15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #6

That's a nice battery box.
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:20 AM   #7

Hi dpica15,
Thanks for letting us know that the problem was resolved and it was something simple.
I'm glad I was able to help.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Old 05-19-2010, 06:23 AM   #8

Hello Bob Landry,
That is a nice battery box and well constructed! You do nice work!
In that picture, I do not see any vent holes for your battery. I assume that you will have some at some point before you are finished?

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Old 05-19-2010, 07:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpica15 View Post
so i might install a master disconnect switch at the battery.
Or just disconnect the cables at the battery (really only need to disconnect the negative cable, but I disconnect both). Takes about 30 seconds

Mike
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:06 AM   #10

When we were being given our initial walk around from our dealer of our 226 JayFeather Sport they suggested we simply pull the fuse from the battery connector cable when the trailer was not in use.
Gigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #11

Anythng that gives the desired result will work. I prefer a switch conveniently mounted so I don't have to undo a hold-down strap or unlock the battery box to get to it. You are more likely to do it every time if it's convenient to get to. I built a double battery box and mounted a Blue Sea switch from the inside with the knob acessible from the exterior. I can look at it and tell if the batteries are on or off. As a sidenote, I hooked the wire from the breakaway switch to the always hot side of the battery switch so it is still functional even if I'm towing with the battery switch turned off.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #12

Our 304BHDS will last about 3 or 4 days before the battery goes dead. I just keep our plugged in. Its 2 years old
Old 06-06-2010, 01:43 AM   #13

I fixed the problem by installing a solar panel. Keeps the battery charged up when it is parked.
RobCYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:33 AM   #14

RobYoung....talk to me about the solar trickle-charger! I've been looking at them for awhile, waiting for the prices to drop ... Are they really worth the money? I've been told that unless you go for a couple of large panels you probably won't even maintain your daily usage. What say you, oh experienced one?

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote