Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2014, 06:44 PM   #1

battery issues

We purchased a new 2014 White Hawk last week. We haven't had a chance to use it yet-however we have plugged it in everyday at home, then at night unplugged it, by morning our battery is totally dead. This would not be good if we were dry camping. Any suggestions as to what we might be doing wrong. Thanks
sunnylyn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:52 PM   #2

battery issues

Really that sounds like a bad battery that's just not holding a charge. I swapped mine out the first year and wired two batteries as that seems to work much better. If you go with two batteries make sure you connect them in parallel not series.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
Site Team

You may want to move this post to TECHTALK...

Have you eliminated any 12volt loads that may be draining the battery over night? (lights, fans....). Are the battery cable connections tight? Have you checked the battery water level?

Check the date code on the battery. Just to insure they did not slip you an older battery that has been on the shelf for a long time. Log on to the battery mfr website and check where they put the date code (usually on or around a terminal) and how to read them.

One other thing you may try, is after you charge the battery, disconnect the shore power, and take a voltage reading then pull the main fuse by the battery. In the morning check to see if the battery held a charge, if it held a charge then you have something in the TT draining the battery. If it did not hold a charge then it is the battery. I would then take it (TT) back to the dealer as soon as possible, and get them to replace the battery. Give them a call! Tell them that it has not held a charge since DAY 1.

The only other item I can think of is if the BREAK AWAY SWITCH cable was accidentally pulled (activated), that energizes the electric brakes. Check the cable to it to see if it is warm. Probably not the problem, but check it anyway.

Odds are the battery is no longer going to hold a useable charge, after being drained so many times.

Let us know what you find.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:28 AM   #4

Sunny

Check your Battery connections, if they are connected incorrect the main fuse (s) will blow, and the battery will not charge, see your owners manual to identify the fuses.

good luck

Peter
mainecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:45 AM   #5

I'm with Don on this. I would immediately call the dealer. Something isn't right and I too suspect the battery is bad. You should not be experiencing this within a week. Even if you had all types of items drawing on the battery, it should not be dead overnight. I'd take the entire unit back into them and have them go through it. Hard to say what else may be wrong, wiring etc...

What you don't want to do is delay and try to take this to them a month from now.

Best of luck.

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #6

The dealer can check it out for you. Sometimes the dealer is not close and a pain to get it there. Any auto parts store can run a load test for free.
I had this happen to me once. seems I left the TV booster on and that was draining the battery power. Check for anything that you might have left on.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:40 PM   #7

I had a problem similar that drove me nuts that the battery would go down within a couple of days and traced it back to the radio clock being on constantly and the TV button right above the cable being pushed in showing "green" which was drawing power from the battery. I now remove the negative cable and hope to get a battery switch soon that would basically turn the power off from the battery. Hope this helps.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 29BH
Fishnmagician is offline   Reply With Quote