Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #1

Battery Life on 2012 26BH Jayfeather

Hey everyone I was just wondering how long my battery would last when not hooked up to any power source. Were going camping for a couple of days and was wondering the time frame of how long a battery might last with limited use. Thanks
Tbeuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #2

Limited use is usually one battery one day... Using the furnace is going to be the big killer. Also using the automotive type interior lights is your next big battery draw. You need to install LED lights...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #3

There are a few critical variables that determine how long a battery will last, which are primarily is what type and size battery you have and what is your power consumption habits. The furnace fan uses a lot of power. In the summer when we do not need heat we could go about two days with incandescent bulbs, not being too conservative. Since we have switched to interior LEDs, I cannot give you an answer as we have not run out of power yet on a trip.

If you are going out for a two night weekend you can do it, just be careful with your power consumption, and use it as a learning experience.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #4

How often does everyone buy a new battery? Ours seemed like it didn't make the season. Of course, my hubby didn't re-charge it once a month as the dealership suggested.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #5

My three 85AH standard issue Interstate deep cycles are over five years old now. This season will probably be the end as they are starting to drop in performance now...

Having smart mode charging technology on-board was our saving grace...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #6

An automobile battery when installed in a vehicle with good charging system should last 4-7 years, depending on the original quality. That said, the same battery in a camper that is not regularly charged will last a considerably shorter time. Do not depend on the TV's charging system to keep it charged - it is usually only a trickle, and will not charge sufficiently to offset large use, like a furnace even for one cold night. If you do not let it get grossly discharged, and charge it regularly, it will last longer. And once a month is only a guideline for very limited use or storage - if you camp often, and use a lot of current, you may have to charge as often as daily or every other day. An exception might be the deep cycle marine batteries - they are more expensive, but are designed to withstand a lot of charge/discharge cycles. Hope this helps.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #7

Kim, Are you sure it's dead? If you're not, take it to an auto parts store and they will test it for you. Some batteries can be brought back from seemingly bad shape with a powerful (equalization) charge. But maybe its time to replace it.

Treat the next one like tinlizzie23 suggests and they will last as long as Roy Ken's did. My Interstate SRM-24 is over two years old and I get the same amount of power over the same time period I got when it was new. The water has never been below top of the plates, and when it's not in the TT, it's on a shelf in the garage connected to a Black and Decker battery minder - about $20 at Home Depot. I was not battery savvy when I bought my TT, but there is a lot of good info on this forum and RV electrical sites. You'll be a pro soon. Good luck.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #8

If I have my TT plugged in to a 30amp service this will charge the battery correct?
Old 03-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #9

How long will it take a 1000w generator to charge my 2012 26BH Jayfeather battery?
Old 03-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbeuler View Post
If I have my TT plugged in to a 30amp service this will charge the battery correct?
The short answer is "yes". If you're plugged in to the CG electric your power converter will also supply power to all the 12 volt devices installed in the TT. (In other words they would work even if you didn't have a battery in the TT.)

When you're not plugged in is when the battery is used to power the DC devices. That's when you have to start figuring what your battery is capable of and how you want to use that power. ... long subject.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #11

Quote:
How long will it take a 1000w generator to charge my 2012 26BH Jayfeather battery?
... need to know a lot more - too many variables. Talk to a local battery dealer or electric shop, it's a long involved answer.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #12

When I was a parts guy at a RV dealer, the standard battery that was installed in all the RV's we sold was a group 24 deep cycle in a group 24 battery box. If requested, we could do a group 27 deep cycle battery in a group 27 battery box. I did a bit of experimenting and found out a group 31 battery would fit in a group 27 battery box.

For those people who pretty much went camping where plug-in electrical was available, the group 24 would usually suffice. But if they thought they might want to go to a "rustic" campground for a few days, I'd offer the group 31 battery setup as an "upgrade" option.

I'm out of the RV business now. But I told the dealer we are getting our new 2013 Eagle TT from, that I want the group 31 battery/ group 27 box combo on our new camper.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #13

Quote:
We leave the power cord to our 5er plugged into a dedicated 30 amp receptacle all the time while parked beside our house. The converter keeps the two onboard batteries fully charged, whether we are using any current or not.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #14

Battery Life

Quote:
Hey everyone I was just wondering how long my battery would last when not hooked up to any power source. Were going camping for a couple of days and was wondering the time frame of how long a battery might last with limited use. Thanks
First, always use "wet cell" Marine type Deep Cycle batteries, series 24 or 27.
Second, install a voltmeter. Draining batteries below 50% capacity (about 11.9 to 12v) will shorten their life. Batteries should last at least 5 years when cared for properly.
Third, check the water monthly and never let it get below the top of the plates.
Consider replacing the standard light bulbs with LED bulbs.
Most importantly: Google "The 12v side of life" and save or print out the article there. The guy who was nice enough to post it knows his stuff. It tells you everything you will need to know to get the most out of your campers 12v system, and save you lot's of headaches.
Happy Camping!
Twowings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #15

Our 26 BH with electric awning will pull down a standard group 24 in just about a day. That is not conserving power but not wasting it either. Doesn't seem to last as long as the last hybrid we had. We could go 3-4 days on 2 batteries using bunk end fans!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:37 AM   #16

One warning if you are not plugged into shore power.
If left on, the antenna booster can drain a battery in a few days.

Grant
grantsoo is offline   Reply With Quote