Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2017, 08:13 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I pay a rv dealership $120 every other year and IMO it's money well spent. My knees are very thankful!
That's a really good price! I've never asked, but I wonder what my dealership would charge? I'll have to ask next time I'm there.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:15 AM   #22

My boat had EZ Lubes on its trailer. I converted them to Bearing Buddies. The BB's keep a light constant pressure on the grease. When a warm hub hits the cold water, the grease contracts - but due to the light pressure, water is not sucking in around the seals. On the boat, the EZ Lubes were sold (and are in the trailer instructions!) as a way to avoid having to repack. Just squirt grease in until it overflows out the bypass holes in the front of the spindle. That seemed dumb, so I converted to BB's, and now repack every 2-3 years.

BUT, for an RV, which is heavier and has more wheels, I pay someone once a year to do it.

There is a device called "Liqui-Lube" that replaces the grease with an oil bath. The hub is clear, so you can see the condition of the oil, which can be topped off via a zerk. Supposed eliminate the need for ever having to repack. Anyone have any knowledge about these for RV use?
Old 02-05-2017, 08:20 AM   #23
Site Team

The EZ lubes were marketed mostly around here for boat trailers that were underwater at boat landings. They were no match for salt water but may have delayed it some. Also on axles with no brake shoes.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #24

Brakes, tires and bearings are the items on a trailer I will not cheap out on. I do all my own maintenance mostly because I enjoy it and then because of the old "If you want something done right, do it yourself" statement. I don't trust the RV mechanics I've had dealings with and while I am still physically able, I will continue to do it myself.

I carry a spare bearing assembly along with tools to swap roadside if needed.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:18 AM   #25

I have EZ lube spindles on both my boat and my TT. They are very different than Bearing Buddys. With the Bearing Buddy you have to be very careful not to over fill or you will blow out the inside seal. Also, I can't see much grease getting to the inside bearing.

With EZ lube, the grease is directed through the center of the spindle, through both bearings, and back out the front. As long as the old grease is not hardened and your inside seal is good you should be able to pump grease in there all day and all you'll do is make a mess all over your wheel and tire!

I jack up my wheels at the beginning of each season and give them a spin. If there's a problem you can usually hear it. I also check them on the highway to make sure there is no overheating.

Both my boat and TT are over 10 years old and I've never had to remove and re-pack. Having said that I guess I'm a bit overdue...
Old 02-05-2017, 10:31 AM   #26

I don't understand where these claims are coming from that the ez lube doesn't grease the bearings. If you follow the correct procedures it absolutely does work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:51 AM   #27

While EZ Lube hubs don't replace regular maintenance, they do have a place. I service the bearings on our trailer every second year; take them apart, inspect and clean the bearings, inspect and adjust the brakes, etc. This includes replacing the rear seal. During the "in-between" years, I jack up the trailer and give the wheels a good spin, while slowly pumping grease into the zirks. This keeps the grease moving and spread out, so it doesn't over stress the rear seals. I've been doing it this way since 2005, when we bought our first trailer with EZ Lube hubs, and it's been serving me well.

Even though doing four wheels takes me the better part of an afternoon, I do it myself because places around here charge around $150 per axle for bearing service. With taxes and "shop fees", that would be close to $400 for our trailer, and I can do it myself for about 10% of that. Plus, I have first-hand knowledge of the condition of the brakes and bearings, instead of trusting someone else's opinion.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #28

you guys stress too much , remember the good old days, were you playing everyyear on your car wheel bearing ? too much of something is like not enough, once every 3/4 years is plenty

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:55 PM   #29
Site Team

My concern is that someone that does not know how to service EZ lubes will just think that all that's involved is to pump grease in them.

There is a proper way to grease them and doing it wrong can cause more trouble than it prevents.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 02-05-2017, 02:04 PM   #30

I wish I could trust a dealership or a shop to do what I pay them to do and what they say they do. But I do not trust anyone for anything any more.

I remove the bearings and seals, clean everything, and repack them myself. I need to hold the parts in my hand and examine them. I do not know what I am going to do when I get to old to do all of the vehicle maintenance that I do. Maybe I will find someone who I can trust. I hope so.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:13 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
...I remove the bearings and seals, clean everything, and repack them myself. I need to hold the parts in my hand and examine them. I do not know what I am going to do when I get to old to do all of the vehicle maintenance that I do. Maybe I will find someone who I can trust. I hope so.
My suggestion would be to start looking now. My philosophy has always been to not pay anyone for something I can do or learn to do. Being 74 has caused me to moderate my thoughts due to physical limitations.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 02-05-2017, 02:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
I wish I could trust a dealership or a shop to do what I pay them to do and what they say they do. But I do not trust anyone for anything any more.

I remove the bearings and seals, clean everything, and repack them myself. I need to hold the parts in my hand and examine them. I do not know what I am going to do when I get to old to do all of the vehicle maintenance that I do. Maybe I will find someone who I can trust. I hope so.
I agree. Things are taking me a bit longer then they used to but I still enjoy doing them myself. Going to tackle a wet bolt kit as soon as the weather breaks here in NY...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:54 AM   #33

We had a dealer repack the bearings..

The cap came off on the interstate and the grease flew everywhere and the axle overheated.. Smoking wheel finally got our attention..

Lets see where we can get it fixed. The repair dealer has already gotten earful number one.. Its some 1500 miles away.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:28 AM   #34

What would be a "normal" temperature for wheel hubs to run at ? I purchased a laser infrared temperature thingy to check while on the road. Do I just assume if they all run close to the same temp they are fine? Not sure what to look for other than an abnormal read from one axle.

I do have my bearings repacked by an independent RV tech that I have used for years. He did say he is not a fan of the ez lube fitting on the axle, says it can cause more problems than it helps.

I've do most of my own maintenance but I've never been a "car guy" or claim to be a mechanic. Thanks for the help

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:59 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post

The cap came off on the interstate and the grease flew everywhere and the axle overheated.. Smoking wheel finally got our attention..

Lets see where we can get it fixed. The repair dealer has already gotten earful number one.. Its some 1500 miles away.
We literally crawled to a repair shop.. the only one for 30 miles. Bryan in Ridgeway SC.. Gave us good diagnostics and fast service.. We did wind up not losing a whole day.. we were able to get in about 60 miles.

The bumbling dealership ( yes a Jayco maintenance facility) did the bearing grease and repack some 3000 miles ago.. One cap flew off.. presumably when the wheel became hot.

The other wheel did not leak.. It was almost bone dry.No evidence of peanut butter consistency grease. Cold it was the consistency of black motor oil.

The dealer by phone fluffed it as to a warranty issue. We called Jayco and they called it a pass through warranty issue.. So we had to call Lippert take pics crawl under the unit for axle numbers and generally jump through hoops. Meanwhile no one could tell us where to get the parts..

We drove ( not with the trailer ) 40 miles each way to a Camping World.. They did not have all the required parts.. They did call an independent parts retailer/wholesaler who did..Another 20 mile drive.. Then we had to get the parts back to the original garage with the mechanic to do the work

We paid $120 for a bumbled repack from the dealer
190 for parts to fix the seized up bearings on both wheels and to replace brake parts
250 for labor.

There will be some serious conversations with Jayco/ Lippert and the dealer when we get home

I think normally people move up in size of unit but we will see if our dealer is interested in our continuing to patronize them.

Learn to do as much of your own work as possible IMO. No one is more interested in you than you.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post

Sorry to read about your troubles today Kim. I'm glad that you were able to get it fixed on the same day and that you didn't have more damage from a seized bearing. I hope that the dealer back home gives you a full refund at the very least. If they want to keep you as a customer, I would hope that they would do more. You take care and I hope the rest of your trip goes smoothly.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:11 AM   #37

So far I see 'search on how to do this' and detailed description on how to tighten bearings but nothing on how to properly use a grease gun on the bearing grease fitting.
DRbilllZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:59 AM   #38

If you mean the Dexter EZ Lube Axles, search online for instructions from Dexter. There are also YouTube videos showing how.

It's not difficult, but the 2 things you MUST do while lubing are, rotate the wheel and use a manual grease gun.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:21 AM   #39

When we had our toy hauler trailer, I went nearly 10 years without a brake inspection or bearing pack. That was a mistake, and I don't recommend it. It worked out fine, because it was all still in good shape despite the long mileage over time. But I would rather inspect every 2-3 years and get the axles up off the ground for a free spin once in a while at the very least. Just so you can catch anything that sounds or feels odd early enough to do something about it. Ours had AL-KO axles, and they were pretty reliable, if you don't count a torn shackle we sustained once.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:33 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRbilllZ View Post
So far I see 'search on how to do this' and detailed description on how to tighten bearings but nothing on how to properly use a grease gun on the bearing grease fitting.
As mentioned if you have Dexter check out YouTube.

Don't use a pneumatic grease gun as the pressure is too high and can blow the seals.