Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #1

Bent stabilizer bracket -- any suggestions?

Recently bought a 2022 Jay Flight 22 FB. When I got to the campground on our second trip, I noticed that one of the rear stabilizers was bent out of position. Wasn't in the "down" position so I know I didn't forget to crank it up on the previous trip. They sit pretty low so it is possible I may have clipped a high curb or something. Looking more closely, I noticed a number of the bolts that screw into the frame had broken off heads. Got replacement bolts at Lowe's, but can't find a replacement bracket for the one that is bent. Here is the stabilizer that's on the trailer:

http://www.domarproducts.com/scissorjack.html

You can see this bracket at the top in the photo. The Jayco dealer doesn't show the part as available. I called Domar and they said they just import these as complete stabilizers and don't have the brackets. Guess the trail ends there since I don't speak Chinese. I don't have a large enough vise to try and straighten it out. The stabilizer is fine, just one of the brackets is bent. I guess I could order another one for $38 inc. shipping and have a spare, but does anyone else have a better idea?
2002 Hybrid Dog Josie (The White Queen)
order191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #2

I bought stabilizers that look like those at Camping World for my last Trailer and put them on myself but there wasnt a parts list with them. If you take the Stabilizer off of Trailer could you straighten the bracket or get a metal shop to make you a new bracket. Without seeing the bent peice that is all i can think of becides replacing the whole stabilizer.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #3

I just ordered a new HDSJ-24 today - I bent my front driver side jack because I failed to chock the wheels when stabilizing on the driveway and the camper moved quite a few inches (my driveway isn't quite level). Couldn't beat the price so I should see it next week.

As far as the bracket being bent - can't you just buy a new jack and get the bracket with it? $25 is a bargain - probably pay that much to have a machine shop bend it back for you.

Just my $.02

2012 Jayco Jayflight 26 BH
2002 Ford Explorer 4.6L
biester26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by biester26 View Post
I just ordered a new HDSJ-24 today - I bent my front driver side jack because I failed to chock the wheels when stabilizing on the driveway and the camper moved quite a few inches (my driveway isn't quite level). Couldn't beat the price so I should see it next week.

As far as the bracket being bent - can't you just buy a new jack and get the bracket with it? $25 is a bargain - probably pay that much to have a machine shop bend it back for you.

Just my $.02

Did something similar with my popup at Brown County State Park in Indiana on our vacation this summer. Totally screwed up that jack. Traded that in before I had to deal with fixing it! I probably will just order a new jack -- $38 with shipping isn't too bad. That would give me another spare bracket and a spare stabilizer for any future misadventures. But I only plan a few more trips this fall and can use one of those little stabilizers I used on the popup sometimes in addition to the crankdown ones -- just stack some Lynx under it. Maybe I can figure out how to straighten the bracket by spring!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:07 AM   #5

This is what I received from Domar today:

Would this work for you? $37 shipped.

2012 Jayco Jayflight 26 BH
2002 Ford Explorer 4.6L
biester26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by biester26 View Post
This is what I received from Domar today:

Would this work for you? $37 shipped.

My car mechanic said he might be able to straighten out the bracket for me. He has a travel trailer. I'll see him today...have one of my cars in for brakes. If he can't I'll give up and order a stabilizer from Domar. In that case I'll have a spare stabilizer and bracket!
Old 10-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #7

Just FYI: My mechanic was able to flatten this out in his big vise, so I'm good for now!