Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-05-2015, 07:24 PM   #1

Best auto DirectTV Satellite finder?

I need to purchase an auto satellite finder for DIRECTV and there are a few choices. Does anyone have experience, what is my best bang for the buck? Anything I need to be aware of up front?

Thanks in advance.
rtiedeken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #2

As long as your satisfied with standard definition the Winegard Pathway and the Carryout Anser seem to be the least expensive at $400. If you have to get HD signals your only choice is the Traveler Roof Mount at around $1,700 +/-.

I had good luck with the Winegard unit and now have the in motion unit both work great.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:20 PM   #3

Might be cheaper to go with Dish pay as you go for HD. The King Tailgater is $350 + $75 for Dish's receiver.
coachtcardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:53 AM   #4

" If you have to get HD signals your only choice is the Traveler Roof Mount at around $1,700 +/-."
That is the reason I don't have the auto satellite. I am a Direct TV and NFL package addict so I carry the big dish for HD signals. Purchased a heavy duty tripod from TV4RV for around a hundred bucks and got a free dish from a satellite guy. Also found a Bird Dog meter online for $150. One of the $30 meters will work but the Bird Dog is a dream. Then I just pull a receiver or two from the house and off we go. Direct TV is coming out with a lot of 4k UHD content after the first of the year so we will be looking........

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
" If you have to get HD signals your only choice is the Traveler Roof Mount at around $1,700 +/-."
That is the reason I don't have the auto satellite. I am a Direct TV and NFL package addict so I carry the big dish for HD signals. Purchased a heavy duty tripod from TV4RV for around a hundred bucks and got a free dish from a satellite guy. Also found a Bird Dog meter online for $150. One of the $30 meters will work but the Bird Dog is a dream. Then I just pull a receiver or two from the house and off we go. Direct TV is coming out with a lot of 4k UHD content after the first of the year so we will be looking........
X2 on a HD DirecTV addict (no sports however).

The TV4RV tripod makes setup easy with a Slimline dish. I don't have a meter at all. I use the signal strength screen built in to my Genie receiver. I use a baby monitor vs a signal meter. Aim the monitor camera at the TV screen and take the remote out to the dish with me. Listen for the "beep beep beep" and then look at the monitor for fine tuning. Works like a champ.

Concerning the HD tripod from TV4RV, I had my tripod hit by a fast up tent from the site next to me that blew down during the night a couple of months ago at a car race. A couple of pieces of the tripod were broken/bent during the encounter. I identified the pieces that needed replacing, went to TV4RV's web site, found the parts needed and ordered them. I received an email confirmation that the order shipped before noon the same day. Cheap quick fix.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:17 AM   #6

Hey Ed, that is a great solution. Tell me about the Direct TV Genie Receiver. So far I am on the old system but just bought a new 4k Ultra High Definition TV for home. Getting ready for the new Direct Tv programming coming out supposedly January 2016. Understand I will have to go to the genie system for UHD. However, if I pull that from the house and take it with me, my wife's soaps might not get recorded at home while we are gone. Currently, each unit is running on its own, even if I remove a couple to go with me. May not be a problem for you since you are gone for extended periods. We are gone a week or so at a time and if I should miss a couple episodes getting taped, I don't want to imagine the consequences when we return. What are you thoughts please?

Joe Hinson
Old 12-07-2015, 08:02 AM   #7

Get the wireless Genie system. You can put the little clients anywhere. They are small and light weight, I have mine velcroed to the back of the TV's. Plus they are easy to move to other TV's or the house. I even loan my spare one to neighbors when we are camping as the wireless signal goes as far as normal wifi.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:17 AM   #8

Am a Dish customer so no help here. I just bought a Winegard Pathfinder 2x special deal [box damaged] new from Amazon for $330. Plug it in and go back and finish setting up your camp site and come back to a ready to go HD picture. The P2x is strictly a Dish device and don't understand why Winegard doesn't offer products that support Direct.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:09 PM   #9

I don't think it is that winegard does not support direct. Direct tv's hd programming is running off about 3 different satellites I do believe. The smaller dish just cannot lock in on the signal of the three different locations. Maybe one day soon, direct tv will be all on one satellite!

Joe Hinson
Old 12-07-2015, 06:47 PM   #10

we have a portable Direct dish and use an app on our phones, Sat Finder. Generally takes 10 to 15 minutes to set it up.
pmames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:26 PM   #11

Best auto DirectTV Satellite finder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmames View Post
we have a portable Direct dish and use an app on our phones, Sat Finder. Generally takes 10 to 15 minutes to set it up.

Are you aligning a slimline dish and getting HD?
Old 12-07-2015, 08:34 PM   #12

Quote:
I don't think it is that winegard does not support direct. Direct tv's hd programming is running off about 3 different satellites I do believe. The smaller dish just cannot lock in on the signal of the three different locations. Maybe one day soon, direct tv will be all on one satellite!
Not the case as both eastern and western arc include 3 dish sats. The 2x can tune itself to all the eastern and western satalites.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:23 AM   #13

We have 3D 4K, at home with extremely limited 4K, download off internet only. We made the decision to leave the 720p that came with the camper, use an old old Direct box we had at home, and get the standard definition dish so we would not watch so much TV.
pmames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Hey Ed, that is a great solution. Tell me about the Direct TV Genie Receiver. So far I am on the old system but just bought a new 4k Ultra High Definition TV for home. Getting ready for the new Direct Tv programming coming out supposedly January 2016. Understand I will have to go to the genie system for UHD. However, if I pull that from the house and take it with me, my wife's soaps might not get recorded at home while we are gone. Currently, each unit is running on its own, even if I remove a couple to go with me. May not be a problem for you since you are gone for extended periods. We are gone a week or so at a time and if I should miss a couple episodes getting taped, I don't want to imagine the consequences when we return. What are you thoughts please?
I full time, but I am at a site for weeks/months at a time. I don't move frequently, but that really isn't an issue. I don't want to miss network programs either and having to call DirecTV and getting the locals changed to a new location has been reported to be a pain, but even if you get it done you have to reprogram your DVR based on your new locals. For me DirecTV's DNS service is the answer. You do have to have your RV on a separate account, but since I don't have a s&b that isn't a problem for me. With DNS all network channels start at 900 and go up. Even channels are east coast feed (New York channels) and Odd channels are west coast feed (Los Angeles). That means my local news, etc. is always from New York, but I really don't care about local news where I am anyway. And the DVR programs are always set to record on the same channels. DNS is $15.00/month extra, but worth it for me. I set up my dish, the Genie HR44 does it's thing briefly and the channels are all the same as the previous time it was on and I'm good to go.

My Genie and Whole Home system is wired, but there are Wireless Genie Satellites ( I think that is what they are called anyway) so you don't have to worry about coax.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:12 AM   #15

We just purchased the Precept 31UL 2017, has there been any changes to these offerings as far as who to go with. We are looking at Direct TV (we do not have it in our home) and noticed that Winegard now offers satelite antenna, has anyone tried them out?
cyclinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:13 AM   #16

Winegard Traveler ($1700 +/-) is the only one that will get you HD with DIRECT.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:27 AM   #17

If I didn't want to use it while traveling can I get the tripod one? Hubby doesn't want to put anything on top of the RV. Really just need it for NFL pkg.
cyclinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclinggirl View Post
If I didn't want to use it while traveling can I get the tripod one? Hubby doesn't want to put anything on top of the RV. Really just need it for NFL pkg.
Yep, and the "Traveler" only works while stationary anyway.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
X2 on a HD DirecTV addict (no sports however).

The TV4RV tripod makes setup easy with a Slimline dish. I don't have a meter at all. I use the signal strength screen built in to my Genie receiver. I use a baby monitor vs a signal meter. Aim the monitor camera at the TV screen and take the remote out to the dish with me. Listen for the "beep beep beep" and then look at the monitor for fine tuning. Works like a champ.

Concerning the HD tripod from TV4RV, I had my tripod hit by a fast up tent from the site next to me that blew down during the night a couple of months ago at a car race. A couple of pieces of the tripod were broken/bent during the encounter. I identified the pieces that needed replacing, went to TV4RV's web site, found the parts needed and ordered them. I received an email confirmation that the order shipped before noon the same day. Cheap quick fix.
This is what I do as well. Works good. I've considered getting a 5 gallon bucket and cementing my pole in it. Less room traveling as I do not close and open and close the tripod as it is level now. Just adjust the feet to level the horizontal plane.
Also, I go to http://www.dishpointer.com/ and pull up where I am going to be and set the dish up before I leave the house so that it is just fine tuning when I get there. Set the east west and the rest is already pretty good.
Cumming, Georgia
Go Dawgs!
Amosmoses33 is offline   Reply With Quote