Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #1

best roof caulk

Just got back my trailer 29bhs for bearing and roof inspection, Dealer said that the previous owner had moved the awning and did not caulk a specific area properly, potentially causing a water leak. Question what is the best type of caulk to use, the dealer wants about $300.00 bucks to caulk this area. I figure that I can do it for a whole lot less need your help thanks
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
Site Team

What area did they not caulk properly? If its the holes from the bolts that held on the awning I would use a product such as Geocel Proflex, or even possibly a good silicone.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Dicor caulking is a typical RV caulk.

For screws on my A/C covers etc, I use plumber putty. Easy to remove for annual or semi-annual servicing.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #4

$300! I'd go with the Dicore self leveling type on flat surfaces and the non-leveling type for anything vertical. $21 for both at CW.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #5

Here's the stuff I've used for many years. It never really hardens. Always pliable and easy to remove later.
You can get it at Home Depot etc..
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...1-w-x-30l/4698

Happy trails,
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #6

You can fix this problem yourself for a LOT less than $300. However, I just want to note that there are different types of caulks for roofs (eg, EPDM/rubber) and general caulking. (you labeled this thread as "best roof caulk" and then asked "what's the best type of caulk to use" for a specific repair issue not directly related to the roof) The answer is it all depends.

For EPDM/rubber roofs, it's recommended that you use a self-leveling type of caulk such as those made by Dyco (C-10 Flow Seal), Dicor, or Alpha Systems. Always double-check or confirm that your caulk will be the proper type for any given surface (eg, rubber roof surface on a TT).

For general caulking such as seams, windows and the like, I would not recommend the use a silicone based caulk because, as correctly stated by another post on rvforum, the problem with silicone caulk is that once it is on, nothing else will stick to it. You can't re-caulk or even touch up your work without removing all the old caulk and cleaning thoroughly with mineral spirits or other solvent. Also, silicone based caulk will shrink and pull away from the adjoining surface over time. Upshot: Much better to use a non-silicone type.

For some reviews on caulks, see these links:
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/ind...?topic=33187.0
http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/f...g/1/page/1.cfm

Although you haven’t specifically identified the problem, I’m going to assume that the problem is due to the movement of the awning support bolt that is screwed into the side of the roof panel. In other words, when the awning was adjusted, either a new bolt hole was drilled and the old hole was not properly sealed (case #1), or, the old bolt was loosened but not re-caulked upon tightening (case #2). In either case, you have water leaking down the inside portion of your wall.

I would recommend the Geocel Proflex caulk (aka as just "Proflex"). It is advertised as "Pro Flex RV™ Flexible Sealant - Withstands joint movement and temperature change due to RV travel. Stays elastic and is paintable. Adheres to damp, frozen, and oily surfaces. Not recommended for EPDM or TPO applications." One thing to know, however, is that this stuff is very sticky and can create a mess if you're not careful.

For case #1, inject Proflex into the hole. Since you probably won’t be moving your awning bracket, be careful to only get the caulk in the hole – do not get caulk in the gutter area which will block the flow of water and allow the water to seep up to the bolt threads. Use your finger to make a smooth exterior surface. Allow the caulk to dry.

For case #2, back-out the bolt. Inject Proflex into the hole; apply some Proflex to the threads of the bolt; tighten-up the bolt. Allow the caulk to dry.

You can do this yourself; good luck.
Iota DLS-55, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, Trimetric TM-2025

WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #7

Thanks, will save this thread and all of its good advice.
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote